Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking for a rifle to shoot some coyotes. I am on a fixed income budget so must consider price. Is the .17 caliber a good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking for a rifle to shoot some coyotes. I am on a fixed income budget so must consider price. Is the .17 caliber a good

I am looking for a rifle to shoot some coyotes. I am on a fixed income budget so must consider price. Is the .17 caliber a good choice or how about a .22 hornet? All suggestions welcomed. Thanks Steve

the 22. hornet will definitely put a coyote down ,Im aware that there are a lot of calibers that are better suited,but given the choice between the 17, cal and the hornet.I'T'S the HORNET no question about it .

Comment

Go with a a 22-250, .223 or .243 better range and more knock down power. You can find an break action for the same price of a 22 Hornet.

Comment

Gator bait, what do you have now? Perhaps you don't need a dedicated coyote rifle. I've used my 30-06 and my 264 Win Mag on them.

Comment

.17 are not a good coyote rifle. Some say yes most say no, because the lack of energy these small bullets have. I think a .17 maybe viable out to 75yds. max. but at that distance you still need a head shot. A hornet or even a mag would be a better preformer out to maybe 150yds. for hornet and a little closer for the mag. The mag is probably a little light at 150yds but with it in the right hands and a head shot you'll have a dead yote. I'm in your shoes as a fellow budget hunter! I'm in the market to get a mag for fun and some closer range yotes that would be out of range for a shotgun, and I had looked into the hornet but was unable to find one for less than $500 after everything is said and done and another thing I found is at the local gun shops the hornet isn't a common carried ammo and the ones who do have it have it marked up big time. So i decided on the mag, I can go anywhere even Walmart & Meijer to get ammo without ordering it online and paying outrageous shipping prices. I know I am limiting my range but I will mostly be shooting for the fun of it and occasionaly yotes and other pests. Now if you have the money go with 22-250 or 223 I have found quality rifles in those calibers for cheaper than the hornet, I'm not sure why maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots but just my experience. DSM raises a good point that you may have a yote gun sitting in you gun case now, or maybe your just wanting a new gun which no one can blame you!

Comment

Just a couple examples of yote guns you may have is my dad uses his deer gun (Remington 760 in 30-06) and i use a Remington 770 in .243 or another remington in .222. A buddy of mine uses a 22 mag and another uses a Remington 870 with a slug barrel and scope.
            As for the wanting of a new gun, that is fine as well. You can never have too many guns!

Comment

i have a .17 and its great little shooter as for coyotes id be a little wary if the situation wasnt pretty well perfect and body shots i dont think id even try. if your looking for a low budget rifle to shoot some yotes with id go with the savage axis previously known as the savage edge it comes really really cheap with no scope and really cheap with a scope. it still has a fluted barrel and carrys not badly also has a detachable box magazine for real quick reloading in yote situation if you get into heavy action. it can also come in stainless if you want that. and it has lots of calibers to choose from like 223 or 243 up to the magnums.

Comment

A 30 06 will definately put em down. Its got power, but the round drops like a rock. If theres a decent size pack of em, I'd go with the .270 if i was more than 20 meters away. I personally like overkill, so if your just killin em, i'd choose a .308 win. I have a bolt action with a 5 round mag. It'll get a bunch of em before they take off.

Comment

the 22 hornet is the better of the two you are choosin between though. A .17 could do the job, but its not as accurate from more than ab 75 yrds. and i personally wouldnt want to be any closer to a wild pack

Comment

Depends on where you live gatorbait. I use a .22 mag here in central pa. my shots dont get out past 100 yards normally so a good 40 gr. bullet in the shoulder puts down some pretty big coyotes and smaller foxes. All have very minimal pelt damage. If your distances are farther you cant go wrong with a 22 hornet. Also, the .17s are also a little louder than the 22 mag. Choose what best fits you and your budget though. You dont need some $500 outfit to kill a coyote. A simple 22 will do the job just fine. However you cant go wrong with a larger model 22 for around 150-200 bucks

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget