Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While bowhunting the last couple of years,I've had a few chances to take coyotes.My questions are.What's the point? Can you eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While bowhunting the last couple of years,I've had a few chances to take coyotes.My questions are.What's the point? Can you eat

While bowhunting the last couple of years,I've had a few chances to take coyotes.My questions are.What's the point? Can you eat them? Is there value in the fur? Do you kill them just to kill?

I think you can sell the fur. Mostly they're shot as predatory pests that make deep inroads into game animal populations. Ranchers don't like them because of the damage they do to livestock. They have invaded a lot of areas in the East where they are not native---I know they've played merry hell with the fawn crop on my place here in Southwest Alabama. Shoot on sight. I put them in the same class with feral hogs---I'd leave a lobster dinner to kill either one.

Comment

Their pelts are worth a small value,but the greatest values of hunting coyotes are:

-coyotes can have a significaton impact game species numbers,in some areas coyotes are responsible for large pecentages of whitetail fawn mortality.

-They are becoming very aggressive towards humans in the NorthEast.Fatalities have occurred from the coyotes lack of fear of man.

-They spread Mange and Rabies.

-They kill livestock and domestic pets.

-They have no natural predators in most of the coyotes range and need to be hunted to control their ever expanding numbers.

As far as consuming coyote meat I wouldnt even consider eating one.

Comment

The fur, if not too torn up can be sold. As Pineywoods says, they kill a lot of fawns and young turkeys. They are definitely here to stay but they need to be controlled as well.

Comment

Pineywoods hit it on the nose about the damage they do to livestock. They like to catch a cow when she is calving. They are attracted to the smell of fluids involved and end up killing the calf and causing the cow to die or have to be destroyed. They do the same with deer. Big Jake is correct in that the only natural predators that they have to control their population in my area is MANKIND. We have to hunt and trap them to protect the cattle, sheep, goats, and other livestock. Fairhope Alabama had to hire a trapper to come into town and trap them off the street to protect the local cats and dogs in people's yards. They are very smart, have very good eyes and ears, and an excellent sense of smell. They learn very quick and are not near as easy to hunt as one would think.

Comment

It is the same up here as pineywoods in alabama, shoot on site! This year on the opening day of deer season we had a coyote running around our group of guys. we all dropped deer hunting if the yote was seen, you shot at it. i never saw it but three of our guys did and one of them managed to hit it. the yote ran 30 yards and drowned trying to swim across a wide and deep creek. we never recovered it but the guy who shot it seen it sink. Who knows how many deer, turkey, and other game animals were saved by the death of one coyote.

Comment

ignorant ramblings of people who just want to shoot things that scare them. domestic feral cats are a much greater threat to small game animals & wild turkeys. the deer are over-populating in many regions resulting in automobile collisions which kill more people than coyote attacks, not to mention the cost. yes coyotes need to kept in check but shoot on sight, give me a break.

Comment

Rmwilson, You have not been down here in my south Alabama area where they have bred into such large numbers that management is necessary. When one farmer looses a cow and a calf to them, it is not acceptable. It is even worse when it happens several times a month. You see people talk about shooting wild rabbits on this forum. Ten years ago we had wild rabbits eating up our gardens, but I have not seen a wild rabbit in my neighborhood in the last few years. I do have wild deer in my front yard and the county had to put deer crossing signs on the road in front of my home. I have a wild hog trap set in my back yard. I see the problem first hand.

Comment

hey santa there's a big difference between management & shoot on sight

Comment

rm wilson,I highly suggest you stick your head back into the sand or whatever dark place you've recently pulled it from.If anyone is guilty of ignornant ramblings on this subject it is you.
                    Biologists have proven that if 75% of coyotes are removed from an area their local population will not be affected and will very quickly rebound to precull numbers.
                    Coyotes are not a native animal to eastern North America and have spread and multiplied here because of the lack of any natural predators.As responsible hunters it is up to us to keep animal numbers in check,if not they will eat themselves out of house and home and inbreeding will lead to a weakened genetic pool.

Comment

i ask for no sympathy and give none to coyotes.yes i kill them because i like to, and though i pass on inferior deer,only once have i let a coyote walk and regreted that one time ever since,there is lots of reasons to kill them and no reason not to. just be glad your not a coyote

Comment

6phunter, :-D

Comment

@rmwilson- In some cases for sure deer are over-populating but has the thought that in some cases it is the threat of a predator that has driven deer out into areas where they are relatively safe. It's been seen in prey species plenty of times, when a predator begins hunting an area a portion if not the majority of animals move to locations away from the predators.

Comment

Only good coyote is a dead coyote!!!!!!! A year or two ago on opening day one came through and jumped several bedded dear! It really pissed me off and i nailed him. he ran outa site and 20 min later i dropped another one! Later in march i think, when i was shed hunting i found both remains of em!Ill definently go outta my way to kill a coyote!!!!

Comment

its 15$ in MN per fur for a coyote. and its not considered waste if you just take the fur.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X