Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best bait for trapping raccoons? I use deer trimmings and peanut butter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best bait for trapping raccoons? I use deer trimmings and peanut butter.

What is the best bait for trapping raccoons? I use deer trimmings and peanut butter.

Try using eggs, they work awesome.

Comment

oily fish like shad or smelts sun ripened for a few day works well

Comment

bidjake has the right of it, fish will work best. Only setback is you will also catch any cats that happen to be around.

Comment

Sardines, marshmallows, cat and dog food all will get them in. Are you using snares, leg holds or live traps?

Comment

I use fly powder. Mix it with pepsi or some other soda. They will literally die while they are eating it.

Comment

Pineywoods,
              I am using both live traps and foot holds.

Comment

Pink salmon right out of the can it works good for both live traps and foot holds

Comment

aviodthewife21,
                  Thanks for the info and i love your name!

Comment

I used the conibear traps on the '70s, always set in a cubby with the entrance to the cubby only accessible from the water in the creekbed.

Bait was fish that I had buried for a couple of weeks in a jar, to let it ferment. (I could smell it at 100 yards!) Just use a stick, dip it in the jar, and throw it into the cubby, then set up the trap, splash water all over to cover your scent, and egress through the water.

Made good money as a teen doing this.

Comment

i hope you use scraps thats no good for susage

Comment

Hi...

Many things will work. One favorite is canned cat food.

Be sure that you DON'T use natural food of which there is plenty of in the area. Example: if you're trapping in a cornfield, there is plenty of corn around, so they might not be interested if you use it for bait.

A few stalks of corn with the ears left on might make a tempting lure for a water set, though.

Reading some good trapping books may also give you a wealth of trapping info...and some also include lure recipes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X