Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im looking for a nice round to shoot coyotes with because i dont wont to use my .300 mag, what would you suggest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im looking for a nice round to shoot coyotes with because i dont wont to use my .300 mag, what would you suggest?

Im looking for a nice round to shoot coyotes with because i dont wont to use my .300 mag, what would you suggest?

My votes for the .223.Its carried by most every ammo shop,flat shooting with low recoil and is easier on the wallet than compared to other varmit grade calibers like the .22/250 or .204.

Comment

sounds like either cost of ammunition or saving hides? try .22 hornet

Comment

I have to agree with bigjake for all the right reasons.

Comment

.204 to .243 all work well. if ar format, 204 for follow up shots if calling areas are tight so yotes come in closer. low recoil in 204 allow multiple shots w/o target re-acquisition. best bolt cartridge, for all ranges, ie tight and wide open country, .243. 55 gr bullet at 3,900 fps has best ballistics and knock-down compared to any other (if your rifle likes it). 2nd choice 70 or 75gr bullet in 243. Swift can shoot smaller bullet faster, but not 55gr. I've shot multiple coyotes beyond 600 yards with this configuration and they were doa. best ballistic/knockdown for coyotes. 223 works....I don't care for ballistics (compare 55gr .223) rounds are cheaper...not important to me. I see yote rifle as sniper type...one shot, one kill...so cheaper ammo or bulk is not relevant to accuracy requirement....also not for prairie dogs...this is a best coyote configuration. it depends on what you want, ie how accurate, how far you wish to take out a coyote. Scope, quality 4-14 30mm tube at least, 3-18 30mm if you can afford.

Comment

Its hard to beat the bolt action 22-250 savage! Shoots like a charm!

Comment

Hands Down, I would use a 220 Swift. It's a fantastic FAST, FLAT Shooting round....

Comment

222 and up to a 270 with a 110 Vmax. I've killed yotes with a 222, 243, 25-06 and a 270. For keeping ammo prices down, I'd go with the 223 and for long shots the 22=250 and 25-06.

Comment

I prefer tracking the yotes and carry a youth model Remington Model 770 in .243 WIN.

Comment

IMHO~~ You cant beat the 22/250 in a savage 110/111.

Comment

I'd say 22-250. It shoots very accurately and doesn't drop much. I've killed coyotes out to 300 yards and never had a problem with it.

Comment

Check out the Dec/Jan 2011 issue of outdoorlife and on page 44 they have a Thompson/Center Venture Predator(22-250 Rem.) I dont think youll get much better and its farely reasonable too!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                          by Scott123
                          Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                          Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                        • Blade Stain
                          by jhjimbo
                          Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                          Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                        • Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X