Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently heard of someone that trains dogs to chase coyotes. Then a group of posted guys shoot them. Anyone heard of this? Wha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently heard of someone that trains dogs to chase coyotes. Then a group of posted guys shoot them. Anyone heard of this? Wha

I recently heard of someone that trains dogs to chase coyotes. Then a group of posted guys shoot them. Anyone heard of this? What type of dogs? I think there could be problems.

This is pretty common, I dont know what kind of dogs they use. I do know that it is pretty effective though.

Comment

Coon and fox hounds are usually used most any of the hounds can be trained for coyotes. Hunting coyotes with hounds has a long tradition started in the west by General Custer.
      Every few years when the coyote population rises too much myself and the surrounding landowners allow the hounds-men to run their dogs and shoot the vermin. They are very effective, very few coyotes are left.
      later,
      charlie

Comment

It isn't uncommmon to run coyote with dogs in the midwest. Most guys are using greyhounds. Usually the dogs will catch the coyote and kill it, never seen any shot this way.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I had some concerns for the dog's safety, the coyotes around here get over 60 lbs. This is a new method in the east, probably because coyotes became a problem only about 30 years ago.

Comment

I know a group of guys in downeast maine do this int he winter, last i heard from my buddy they got one yote and a bobcat about a week ago. I think they use the same hounds that they use for bear, just train some on the yotes instead.

Comment

The guys around home use various hounds. One set of dogs cut the track and run the coyote. At the end of the race, when the coyote is tuckered out and decides to hole up or fight, the kill dogs are let loose and they kill the coyote. It's pretty serious stuff here in central IL. A race can cover 20 miles or more and take the better part of a day.

Comment

I know a few here that will run most any kind of dog. The smaller the better as they are used as bait. The dogs will run a route and bring the yotes back in hot on their tail. One of my buddies lost his Lab doing this. I believe a lot of folks use the Mtn. Cur as a coyote dog.

Comment

cjohnsrud,
                  Running dogs as bait is considered backwards here in WI. They turn 2-5 hounds loose, the hunters take stands on likely escape routes shooting the coyotes and fox with shotguns. That way valuable dogs are not lost.
                  Coyote fur is fetching $30-$40 there will be interest this year.
                  later,
                  charlie

Comment

I have never done it, but I have read articles and heard from other people that the Cur (I think that is how it is spelled) is one of the dogs of choice.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                      by jhjimbo
                      If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                      10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                    • Pay it forward
                      by fitch270
                      I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                      10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                    • Reloading Gear Order
                      by fitch270
                      I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                      10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                    • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                      by dewman
                      Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                      10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                    • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                      by Ernie
                      Any handgun hunters here?
                      Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                      10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X