Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at getting an AR-15, i want one under about 1500 bucks, any suggesstions, will be used mostly for predator hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at getting an AR-15, i want one under about 1500 bucks, any suggesstions, will be used mostly for predator hunting.

Looking at getting an AR-15, i want one under about 1500 bucks, any suggesstions, will be used mostly for predator hunting.

What do all of you guys think of the Remington R-15 or R-25?

Comment

Your best bet is to check out any local gun shows in your area. The sportsman model AR-15's can be had for much less than your typical sporting goods store or gun shop. Rock River Arms makes a couple of excellent models for the sportsman. Smith & Wesson makes a couple of different versions as does Bushmaster.

I'm not all that familiar with the R15 or R25, specifically. I'd definitely suggest picking one up and seeing how it feels. Each manufacturer will have their own little nuances. For the price you're willing to spend, I'd be willing to bet you could find one at a local gun show for even less than $1,500.00...

i.e., I went to a show three weekends ago in Wausau, WI. There was a BRAND NEW IN THE BOX Bushmaster (.223 / 5.56 NATO) for only $975. That's nearly $200.00 LESS than our local Gander Mountain and/or Cabela's.

Good luck with your search!

Comment

Flyman, if you must buy an AR-15 there are many models that will meant your criteria. If you intend to use the rifle for varmint hunting I would encourage you to look at the longer-barreled variants and stay away from short carbines. The accuracy you will gain from a longer barrel is significant (the reason many Marines still prefer the full-length M-16 over the M4).
        I think there are many rifles that I would pick for long-distance accuracy over the AR (primarily bolt action), but if you "must" have one I understand. I work with them all the time, so I enjoy shooting more traditional hunting rifles when away from work.

Comment

I will also try to talk you out of an AR-15 platform for hunting. I had a Bushmaster AR-15 and it just wasn't my style. I traded it in on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical and love it. I can shoot a Gnats ass with that at 400 - 500 yards.

Comment

Ditto to the Captain again. Why use that for varmints? You might check out something in a 220 Swift or 22-250. I`m partial to the Swift, but then everybody is different.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
              by jhjimbo
              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
              Yesterday, 02:15 PM
            • Pay it forward
              by fitch270
              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
            • Reloading Gear Order
              by fitch270
              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
              by dewman
              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
              by Ernie
              Any handgun hunters here?
              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X