Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone hunt coyotes with the 7.62x39 russian round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronald Giaquinta
    replied
    I have no use for the pelt,I just want to stop the coyotes from killing my chickens and rabbits.
    If they run off my property and die elsewhere,fine with me

Leave a comment:

• Carl LaMond
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
    The AK-47 round "the prefered weapon of your enemey" to quote Estwood. 125 grain 30 cal at 2400 fps is a fine coyote round. Yes, most major ammo companies make soft point hunting bullets, so it makes a good little deer rifle too. The best rifle would be a CZ-527 carbine for general hunting. Or you might want to try an upper assembly for your AR-15 in 7.62x39 while the 5.56/223 is just as good on coyotes. catch one in the open and mow him down with semi-auto fire, pretty cool dont you think Z.
    an SKS will only slam fire if you don't maintain your rifle. the pin should move freely and is designed to not have to be oiled... it's when you oil it that dirt sticks and jams the pin forward that you get "slam fire" i've shot at least 6,000 rounds (surplus ammo) threw my SKS's and never once had a slam fire; also, if you're using FMJ you're more than likely using corrosive, surplus ammo; and that shit, in itself, is dirty as all hell. Even with only shooting a handful of bullets...the rifle needs to be cleaned immediately. ps. I have made lung and heart shots with an FMJ bullet on coyote's and not 1, has walked away or had to be stalked. if at all concerned, remove some of the copper jacketing at the tip of the SKS, FMJ bullet, it's now a soft tipped FMJ which would be a little more destructive or drill a small hole (1/16) in te tip and it's now a hollow tip FMJ

Leave a comment:

• Josey
    replied
    It will work. It will likely damage the pelt on the exit. Full metal jackets should go in and out without much damage, however, but you will have a dog to track because it will keep on running a ways. I have shot deer with 7.62 X 39 in pointed soft point and they didn't run far. I use the SKS, which is reliable, if kept clean. Be careful with SKS because they will suddenly fire when you cock the action and slam a round into the chamber with the safety off. This is because of the firing pin design. I have not had a problem with this when first putting the gun on safety and then jacking one in the chamber. I always have the urge to put on tiger stripe camo when I get an SKS in my hands. Our soldiers used those enemy guns a lot when the ARs jammed.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle John
    replied
    The AK-47 round "the prefered weapon of your enemey" to quote Estwood. 125 grain 30 cal at 2400 fps is a fine coyote round. Yes, most major ammo companies make soft point hunting bullets, so it makes a good little deer rifle too. The best rifle would be a CZ-527 carbine for general hunting. Or you might want to try an upper assembly for your AR-15 in 7.62x39 while the 5.56/223 is just as good on coyotes. catch one in the open and mow him down with semi-auto fire, pretty cool dont you think Z.

Leave a comment:

• jonf1023
    replied
    Just remember most 7.62 x 39 ammo is military nato which means its solid point copper jacketed. You'll kill the coyote no problem and wont harm the pelt much either but make sure the round hits a vital or it will just pass through and the yote will run off.

Leave a comment:

• Old Salts
    replied
    I don't see any reason why not!

GO 4 IT!

Leave a comment:

• does anyone hunt coyotes with the 7.62x39 russian round?

does anyone hunt coyotes with the 7.62x39 russian round?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X