Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to shoot with a pellet gun?

what to shoot with a pellet gun?

That really depends on how many FPS your airgun shoots and what pellets you're using. You can easily kill squirrels and rabbits with some of the better airguns. I've also seen guys use them for prairie dogs and stuff as large as coons.

Comment

I use a crosman hollow point with a daisy or crosman

ps they brought down a few cottonmouths garter snakes & a 10 pound possum

Comment

birds, squirls, rabbits,coons, possums, snakes, skunks, lizards, & grandmas barn cats

Comment

'coon down to mice, but with high powered guns you might even get a fox

Comment

im thinking squirrels rabbits mice out to a reasonable distance i wouldn't go much farther unless your just wanting to scare the stray dogs away...

Comment

I usally shoot at squirrels,rabbits,ravens,mice,andfox.But it depends on what air rifle you have.If you only have one that shoots 300 fps it probaly wont kill a fox.But if you have one that shoots 800 or 1000 fps it will.

Comment

Depends on the pellet and the gun. Serious airgunners seem to consistently SAY you not attempt anything larger than a cottontail (and the jury's out on squirrels, considered tougher critters) with a .177, yet people on those same forums hunt up to racoons with that caliber, usually with specialty pellets. You should be able to take a fox easily with a .22 air rifle. Large game can be and has been taken with precharged pneumatic bigbores.

That said -- these aren't firearms, and the distinction is not trivial. Manufacturers advertise velocity, but faster isn't necessarily better. Slower, heavier pellets reportedly do better for hunting.

If you're serious about using your pellet gun for hunting, get serious about using it -- You need to be pretty accurate.

Comment

I've got a crossman G1 Extreme 1,000 FPS with a center point scope and its so good I shot a rabbit at 50 yards in the eye and its left eye was hanging out of its left ear. It was on discount at Wally-World for 80 bucks and I honestly think its better than my cousins GAMO Whisperer.

Comment

I prefer using air rifles as teaching tools for youngsters/I let them carry them empty first correcting as we walk. As far as shooting I start with large bull eyes on paper targets up close.TO keep it fun i'll let'em shoot empty cans with pebbles in them so they rattle when struck, As thier skills get better i blow up ballons and as they drift they start shooting moving targets, To have some real fun i'll tie several on a kite tail in a safe area and let'm shoot .

Comment

squirrels, raccoons, opossums, rabbits small game like that

Comment

What is your goal and intention. You can actually big game hunt with the right air gun. However, for most animals and the abilities of most pellet guns, I would say keep it to rabbit sized or smaller.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                          by fitch270
                          Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                          09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                        • Grips and stocks
                          by dewman
                          so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                          09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                        • Youth pheasant hike
                          by fitch270
                          Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                          09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                        • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                          by fitch270
                          Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                          09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                        • Unusual Sound
                          by jhjimbo
                          At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                          09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X