Eatin ‘chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eatin ‘chuck

Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten. Sure I said. So he cleaned them and deboned the meat and stuck it in the fridge. Next day he put it in a small crock pot with some Sweet Baby Ray’s and called me to come over for lunch. Swung thru KFC on the way over and grabbed a pint of slaw(goes on the sandwiches)and some mashed taters and gravy. Yummy. Even his wife and grandkid had one.
    Last edited by dewman; 08-13-2022, 07:22 PM.

I've eaten some strange critters before, but not woodchuck. Good on ye for trying it.

Recently took a trip, ordered aa appetizer for the boys (12 and 14) They tore through them. Then I had them Google where "Rocky Mountain Oysters" came from.

Older said he'd eat them again, younger will probably never trust me again to order food.

Hearing the usual jokes, puns and innuendo for the next 150 miles was worth it though.

Comment

Have killed a few over the years. Most w HP varmint rifles so bullet frag in meat would be of concern.

Some polite stuff near barns was done w .22rf or mag. Headshot game.....those a couple farmers wanted for the pot.

But not adults.

The pups had matured but were in tbe 5 to 6 lb range.
      THOSE were the ones requested for eventual tablefare

Have a .22 mag 14 inch Contender in case I ever get the call for such duty again.

Never ate one. Too hot to mess w afield when youre on pest duty. I killed 10 one morning. Best evening time tally was 6.

Usually 1 to 3 per outing. Back when chucks were plentiful. Smaller farm stuff. No yotes then.

Nowadays my farmers are all gone. Kids built houses on the fields or moved off......no good spots to even try.

Last one was 45 min drive and i shot it down and yotes kept it down. Not worth the time and expense to shoot one or two every 3 or 4 trips. That when gas was cheap.

So here i am w .22 mag, .223,.219,.22 250 and 243s collecting dust.

State ground we used to hit didnt even have beans out. Some of it not planted in anything this yr Strange.
      Last edited by CD2; 08-14-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I’ve always wanted to try it but could never bring myself to clean one. When you think about what woodchucks eat compared to turkeys and chickens it sheds a different light on the idea of eating them. Still, if I ever managed to go through with it I’d be starting with a young of the year variety head shot with a .22 lr. Center mass with a .22-250/.243 makes a bit of a nasty mess.

Comment

Striated skeletal muscle meat only. Even as a kid on farm.

I dont eat funky stuff.

But then i also dont drink Budweiser or Coors light

😂

Comment

CD2 must have hit post as I started pecking on my phone…..

Comment

Let’s add turtle to what I’d try but don’t want to clean. Don’t even think about what they eat.🤢

Comment

The old sportsman's club pops and I belonged to would sometimes have fried snapping turtle and soup.

Its great!

One place I chuck hunted, stopped by and owner was cleaning some big snappers. Yeah, its a murder scene LOL
                Ill eat em but wont clean em LOL

Comment

I like turtle, snapper or soft shell

Comment

No idea what I've eaten at game feeds at a local tavern. Couldn't trust the labels. Might've been chicken since everything tastes like it.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                      No idea what I've eaten at game feeds at a local tavern. Couldn't trust the labels. Might've been chicken since everything tastes like it.
                      No, no everything don’t taste like chicken. Beaver tastes like feces, coon usually like stringy feces. Snake smells ok cooking, tastes like pasty feces with a worse aftertaste. Even tequila can’t cut its flavor. (At first)

Comment

Amflyer: I’ve ate woodchuck before.

Comment

I think I’ve mentioned this one before, back in college one of my friends convinced a bunch of guys from downstate that we had a “field lobster fest” every summer. Big ole woodchuck hunt and cookout. When they asked why we called them field lobsters he told them because they taste just like lobster.

Was a bunch of bull but they didn’t put it past us hicks.

Comment

"Strange" meats I have eaten:

Chicken gizzards-very good. Mom always kept the hearts for herself. A Midwestern version of a crawdad boil, I would think.

Deer tongue--edible-not a lot of meat for the work

Elk heart-good-had it for breakfast with country gravy and eggs. A bit chewy, but then I like chicken gizzards...

Blue Wildebeest liver-good for what it was, but I'm just not a liver person. Cooked medium rare. Not sure if this is normal for liver of any kind?

Bullfrog legs--meh. Tasted OK but made me a little jumpy.

Eland tenderloin stuffed with leg bone marrow--sublime. Roasted the leg bones on the fire, hatcheted out the steaming marrow, mixed with garlic and spices, stuffed into the tenderloin (which is huge) and cooked medium rare.

Mountain Zebra (Hartmann's) -very very good. Preferred over the Kudu that we had with it.

Plains Zebra (Burchell's)--edible. Had a sweetish taste the mountain zebra didn't. One of the PH's just said "no" and ate biltong instead.

Black bear--edible. Started out good, then the fat congealed in your mouth and throat. Sort of like eating a steak with wax.

Droewors (dried game sausage)--not a fan. Imagine a dehydrated bratwurst. The fat was the part that made it a no.

Sheep's knuckle--fantastic. Cooked over an open barbecue pit.

Fricaseed goat--good--tried it at a Greek restaurant. Anything tastes good after a couple of Metaxas or Ouzos.

Probably others that some might add to this list, but I don't consider wild turkey, pheasant, grouse, duck, venison, rabbit or squirrel as strange. I would guess that most left on this site shares that sentiment.

Comment

My odd eats list isn’t quite as extensive.

From the Did it Myself category would be pickled venison heart. We usually eat one a year pan fried as well, if we get one that’s not shot up.

Four prepared by others, all from wild game dinners:

Alligator; Deep fried in chunks about the size of scallops. Awesome.

Bear Stew; Was ok, had so much seasoning and vegetables it was hard to tell what the meat was.

Beaver; As I recall it was slow cooked like a roast and seasoned heavily as well. Was just ok.

Raccoon; Same as above.

Have also had bear a few other times, usually as sausage patties with a fair amount of pork ground in. Also had it like pulled pork once, that wasn’t half bad.

I’m actually going to a game dinner on Thursday. It’s a fundraiser with a guest speaker at a club I’ve never been to before so don’t know what to expect. Maybe I’ll have something to report.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget