Season Grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Grade

We’re about done with this year's big game season, just two days left of the regular muzzleloader season and a special holiday season with the muzzleloaders between Christmas and New Years. The Kid will get out some but work is getting out of hand so I’m not sure how much opportunity I’ll have.

We did get out this afternoon with my F-I-L, a friend of his and my S-I-L. We hunted a small public spot about five minutes away, turned out I was the only one to see anything. Bumped a couple while still hunting on frozen leaves. Wasn’t a nice day but at least we got out with a group once this year.

So I’ve spent the last week thinking about it and I’d have to give this year a B- if I was handing out grades.

On the plus side I did kill a good buck, even if it was almost a fluke. The Kid had two firsts, goose hunting with some buds and arrowing a coyote. Early on most of our sits had some action, especially memorable was the momma and three Cubs that put on a show for my daughter and I. The weather wasn’t too bad overall either.

On the down side, the bird hunting was terrible. The Kid never even made it out with me which was especially disappointing considering he’ll be off to college next fall (Yeah, that’s bugging me a little). He also hasn’t filled a tag this year but hopefully he’ll pull something off here late. Then there was my daughter’s lost buck that fortunately does appear to be still around. With all the rest we never tried for fall turkey after being skunked this spring.

So it wasn’t a flop but didn’t quite meet up with the success of the past few seasons. Hopefully we’ll have a mild winter and get a couple toms down in the spring. My daughter has one youth weekend left and overall the kid’s have done well the past 5 years.

We may still get out for grouse and maybe coyote hunting, possibly other small game and hopefully some ice fishing as well. That will depend largely on the weather and work.

I think Dewman filled his freezers better than most of us, save for WaM’s elk. Curious how the rest of you would rate this past hunting season?

First, add these 2 to our pile. Buck , last day rifle, doe middle season (doe only). Still have 3rd season (alternate weapon)opening Christmas Day. IMG_2657.jpg IMG_2656.jpg
    I've been helping the tornado victims I know for some days now. Being crippled and sore I had to stop to rest. The fella that I used to dove hunt on, where I fell and got busted up at, was pretty much erased by the twister. No one hurt hospital bad there, though his 82yr old dad had both arms busted and they are all banged up. Had a couple horses and a dozen or so angus - they're gone. My dove /duck hunting hosts are ok too, though they all suffered great property damage. But, I have friends who lost friends and some family. It is a very sullen place. I have pics but it would hurt them if I posted them so sorry, at least for now. Can't have too many prayers.
    Last edited by dewman; 12-20-2021, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Don’t really have the words Dewman, will add you folks on our prayer list. Glad you’re in a position to help out.

Comment

Dewman, kudos! First on assisting tornado victims. There are no words that can sum up the physical, fiscal and mental damage. God bless you for doing what you can.

Then another for a nice, though no "Booner", buck and a nice fat doe.

"Ya dun gud mi amigo!"

Edit: you too, fitch270. Maybe not as sparkly and shiny as you'd like, but not a washout either! "Friday" was special. 😉
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 12-20-2021, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Try for a week of bow, if I can shoot my Hoyt. Havent pulled it back since Oct due to injury.

Have not seen an antler yet this yr while afield

Big tracks Sunday but eveything obviously nocturnal.

Id give my hunting season a grade of F.

Went maybe 10.times total, half day hunts....in 3 months. Weather sucked and kept me home or injuries did.

​​​​​​

Comment

CD2; Your deer season and my bird hunting were about on par with one another. F for Frustrating.

The Kid went out this afternoon with my F-I-L and his friend, they tried another public spot not far from our house. The Kid and the other guy started out low and pushed up to my F-i-L. At one point the Kid got about 50’ into a heavy pine thicket that only gave him several yards of visibility. He stopped to figure out his next move when he heard something coming at him, at first he thought it was the other guy but then caught part of a deer. Turned out there were three no more than 10-15 feet away. He assumed a doe with fawns until he saw one had spikes, then a second as well. Neither are legal bucks for us, so when the third showed forks he was looking for a third point on at least one side. Unfortunately when he finally saw what he was hoping for he didn’t have a clear shot even though the buck was no more than 20’ away. The three bucks moved off through the pines but stayed in them. He could still hear them after he lost sight so he tried working out and around. He crossed their tracks before breaking out into bigger woods but never saw them again.

He was both excited and dejected when telling me the story. He said what took him several minutes to explain went down in under 30 seconds. He thinks what happened was he got ahead of the other guy who bumped the deer up past him. He doesn’t think they knew he was there, at least until he tried catching up with them again, but that they circled back in behind where it was thick rather than breaking out in the open.

Interesting that the little guys are bunching back up and still have their antlers. The Kid is hunting the hill tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              CD2; Your deer season and my bird hunting were about on par with one another. F for Frustrating.

The Kid went out this afternoon with my F-I-L and his friend, they tried another public spot not far from our house. The Kid and the other guy started out low and pushed up to my F-i-L. At one point the Kid got about 50’ into a heavy pine thicket that only gave him several yards of visibility. He stopped to figure out his next move when he heard something coming at him, at first he thought it was the other guy but then caught part of a deer. Turned out there were three no more than 10-15 feet away. He assumed a doe with fawns until he saw one had spikes, then a second as well. Neither are legal bucks for us, so when the third showed forks he was looking for a third point on at least one side. Unfortunately when he finally saw what he was hoping for he didn’t have a clear shot even though the buck was no more than 20’ away. The three bucks moved off through the pines but stayed in them. He could still hear them after he lost sight so he tried working out and around. He crossed their tracks before breaking out into bigger woods but never saw them again.

He was both excited and dejected when telling me the story. He said what took him several minutes to explain went down in under 30 seconds. He thinks what happened was he got ahead of the other guy who bumped the deer up past him. He doesn’t think they knew he was there, at least until he tried catching up with them again, but that they circled back in behind where it was thick rather than breaking out in the open.

Interesting that the little guys are bunching back up and still have their antlers. The Kid is hunting the hill tomorrow afternoon.
              The adrenaline rush of being that close to deer without them spooking gives ME an adrenaline rush! 👀!
              Many years ago, I set up under a yaupon holly in a fenceline. A doe and fawn approached me and I froze in place. They came close enough, the fawn was nibbling leaves on the limb I was resting against!
              I thought I was going to wet my pants before they got far enough away I wouldn't spook them by moving.

Comment

I would rate this season as about average for me. No deer in the freezer two straight years although I had opportunity and passed on 2 bucks. While our group went 100% on elk and my deer tag went unfilled, I killed the only bull I saw after opening morning, which were either dinks or in the next zip code.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                  I would rate this season as about average for me. No deer in the freezer two straight years although I had opportunity and passed on 2 bucks. While our group went 100% on elk and my deer tag went unfilled, I killed the only bull I saw after opening morning, which were either dinks or in the next zip code.
                  I'm hoping next year I'll get to at least GO hunting! LOL!
                  Congrats on at least a bull, WAM.

Comment

The buck killed above was actually shot by my friends wife as all us guys were tagged out on bucks and this guy came by a couple of days running so my pal took a chance and me and my hunting buddy (who owns the land) gave him the stand for the last 2 days (Monday & Tuesday)of regular firearms. She used her husbands 300 WSM. 40 yds or so, 150 gr. winchester deer season xp. Again, the bullet came apart. Again a nasty mess inside. To each their own. Alternate weapons season opens Saturday (Christmas). Wife doesn't want me to go, says I look awful. Past worn out and she's worried. After opening weekend I'm loaning my 6.5C pistol to a friend to use. He has lots of deer on his place right now but doesn't want to buy a muzzleloader or use his crossbow. He'll take his 1911 along too.
                    👍 Thumbs up to all who hit the field this year, successful or not. Time for some squirrel chowder I think.
                    Stay safe, aim small

Comment

Stay safe Dewman.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I'm hoping next year I'll get to at least GO hunting! LOL!
                        Congrats on at least a bull, WAM.
                        I’m hoping you’ll get out and have some good hunts, too! Blessings

Comment

Went out Xmas morning. Dead deer about 30 yards from ladder stand. Been there a while, stripped clean.

Either somebody lost one or a car bopped it.
                          Big doe.

Was.

Saw two sets of yote tracks along field, one big one not. Neighbor guy shoots em, need to tell.him to get on the ball LOL
                          ​​​​​

Comment

I'm in an elevated box blind overlooking a small food plot and automated feeder. Two days ago I killed a doe a few hundred yards from here. Got the 6.5 CM again today. A little overkill because all available shots are within crossbow distance.

Comment

Our towerbox strikes again! IMG_2676.jpg

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• New Things, Old Things
                                by fitch270
                                OL’s has had some good topics lately even if it is a bit slow here compared to some other sites. One of the things I’ve been noticing is even though...
                                10-05-2022, 05:43 PM
                              • Birthday meal
                                by Amflyer
                                Oldest son turns 15 in a week or so. (Yeah, no outdoor stuff this year. He's getting a bass guitar. Bought himself a deer rifle after summer job anyway)...
                                10-04-2022, 02:16 PM
                              • ‘Twas the night before ….
                                by fitch270
                                the bow opener, and it’s chilli cook off night at church.

What could possibly go wrong?!?

😳🤢🙄

09-30-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • Deciding on Spot for First Day
                                by wesman24
                                Hello Everyone,

I currently have a spot set up on public land that is new to me this year. I did quite a bit of scouting in the area and...
                                09-29-2022, 02:15 PM
                              • What now?
                                by FirstBubba
                                PM'ing on another blog site with a gent.
                                I had lamented the fact that I have 20 gauge and 12 gauge MEC 600Jr loaders, but only shoot 16 gauge....
                                09-28-2022, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X