Crows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crows

Did a little crow hunting this morning. It is hard to miss with this o/u. Shot the one that's a little fluffed twice because, well, you can shoot this gun twice that fast. Stay safe, aim small IMG_2580.PNG IMG_2582.PNG IMG_2581.PNG

Also, really liking these shells.----- IMG_2584.JPG

Comment

Cool.

I’ve yet to shoot a crow but may start just because they’re plentiful. I certainly could use the wing shooting practice. We’ve messed around with them during spring turkey season a few times, I carry a crow call in my vest and got them fired up just for fun.

I’ll keep an eye out for those shells as well. Trying to maintain some inventory but not looking to buy the promo pack stuff anymore.

Comment

Crow hunting, back in the day of $2.00/bx shotshells, was quite the rage.
        Minimum wage was .75/hr and a brand spanking new Rem 870 (fixed choke) from Gibson's was $89.95!

One of my buddies had one of those "Johnny Stewart" electronic calls that played the 45 rpm records.
        Waste shells on crows? Not MY pop! LOL!
        By the time I could afford the ammo, Johnny Steward calls were cassette tapes, cheap shot shells were $3.25/bx and minimum wage was $1.25/hr and nobody cared anything about killing crows! LOL! So I never really got to go on a crow shoot. That's okay, I've shot several and the last one didn't taste any better than the first one. 😖

Comment

I shoot crows with my .22mag.

Comment

Dewman, what is your crow season in your state ? Do you find most people abide to the season, or just shoot crows at any time ? We have a season here in Michigan, but I could not tell you the date. It always seemed to me to be a rather senseless issue anyway ! Nice looking o/u !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              Dewman, what is your crow season in your state ? Do you find most people abide to the season, or just shoot crows at any time ? We have a season here in Michigan, but I could not tell you the date. It always seemed to me to be a rather senseless issue anyway ! Nice looking o/u !
              Season is first Monday in November to March 3rd. Only a few I know who hunt them and they abide. Crow seasons were enacted as part of treaties with Mexico and Canada as they are considered migratory so they are included within the larger bird migration scenario.
              The o/u was a gift from my son.
              Last edited by dewman; 11-05-2021, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                In OK, they are considered pests. No closed season, no bag limit.
                Crows do minimal crop damage...unless your a pecan person! They're pretty tough on pecan growers.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

In OK, they are considered pests. No closed season, no bag limit.
                  Crows do minimal crop damage...unless your a pecan person! They're pretty tough on pecan growers.
                  WRONG! You've always had a season in Oklahoma. Bubba, are you a poacher? A federal poacher at that. IMG_2589.jpg
                  Last edited by dewman; 11-05-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Dewman is correct on the treaty agreements. Mexico has the main interest in crows.

Here is NY’s season

43A6A162-42C1-4875-BF67-57EC9CA45693.png

Note the season runs from Sept 1’st- March 31’st but that hunting is only allowed Fridays through Mondays. The reason is that the agreements were for a specific number of hunting days so to allow the most opportunity for working folks it covers as many weekends as possible by closing the season Tuesday through Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

WRONG! You've always had a season in Oklahoma. Bubba, are you a poacher? A federal poacher at that. IMG_2589.jpg
                      No. I just never had any interest in shooting crows so I never checked! LOL! 20211106_085706.jpg
                      Here's the regulations from the current book.

My how the mighty have fallen! LOL!
                      Last edited by FirstBubba; 11-06-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I was always under the impression we manage crows to keep Mexico from exterminating doves, which they look at like locusts.

Comment

I was always under the impression we manage crows to keep Mexico from exterminating doves, which they look at like locusts.
                          I hadn’t thought about doves since we don’t have a season here, but very likely. I do know there was some duck concern as well.

Comment

dewman, have you ever considered one of those Argentina dove hunts. They call it "The River of Doves".

A buddy of mine, rest his soul, went once.
                            He said my midday on the second day, he was bored out of his mind and began picking shots he felt were as difficult as possible, or two at a time, etc, etc...
                            The kids they send out with the shooters to pick up birdsxand keep their guns loaded were much more interested in killing the parakeets! LOL!
                            The dove eat the grain that falls out of the head. The parakeets, with their little razor beaks, cut the head off the grain, causing major crop damage.

Harry said over three days he shot eight and a half "CASES" of ammo!
                            By the end of the third day, he said he couldn't have cared less how many he had shot, but probably killed more parakeets than dove! LOL!

Comment

FB : I shoot enough here to be happy, would not enjoy spending the $$$ to shoot doves. If I need more trigger pulls I'll start targeting the flocks of blackbirds.(I've done it before)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget