Lifetime hunting fishing license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime hunting fishing license

Just sent my application in (formality) to get my lifetime fishing/small game license(includes yearly state migratory bird license). At 60 yrs old, I'll be 61 August 28, it cost just $70 bucks. I'll make that back in 3 yrs then it's a freebie after. I know most of us are closer to sundown than sunrise so I was wondering if any of you fellas have done this. Getting my mojo dove decoy and 6 clip ons cleaned up and on the pole. I know, got a month to go, but getting a little antsy to bust out the Benelli. Going to try Browning shotshells this year. IMG_2500.JPG Hickory nuts coming along well, will be going back to the Refuge within the next couple weeks. Reminds me. Know a fella who took his grandson there for the Memorial Day opener. Used his .410 from his youth. Did NOT use steel. $200 fine but no ban and they let him keep his gun. Federal refuges are NO joke. Lots of the employees are anti hunting or at least disapprove of hunting a "refuge". Stay safe.

Also just realized that I'm going to be using all new (to me)guns this year. Ruger 22, Benelli shotgun, Winchester rifle. A case of an old dog learning new tricks maybe? Admittedly not really out of my comfort zone.

Comment

Oklahoma has a "Disability" license.
      Twenty bucks for five years and I only had to buy tags.
      When it was time to renew, I called ODWC and asked for the renewal forms, the lady asked my age and I told her.
      "At 65, you can purchase a "Lifetime License" for $25. Would you like me to send you an application?"
      "HELL, YEAH!"
      I asked for 2 forms. The wife and I both have "Lifetime License" now.
      No tags. Just go hunt and kill! LOL!

Comment

Yeah, I went all in 12 years ago I think it was. Picked up a lifetime Sportsman’s license (fishing, small game and big game) that includes turkey tags and a free doe tag application. Bought the kids theirs as well, plus a lifetime fishing license for the wife.

At the time the cost for an adult Sportsman’s license was $600, up from the original $500. It was going up again plus the State was implementing a $10 non refundable doe permit application if you didn’t have the lifetime Sportsman’s license before the next price increase. I also bought lifetime archery and muzzleloader permits at $180 each for myself. The kid’s tags were at a discount, $300 for my daughter and $450 for the Kid. He was just over the age limit for the cheaper price. I held off on buying them lifetime Arc/Muzz permits because they weren’t discounted. I bought the Kid his lifetime archery permit the day he passed the Bowhunter Ed class. I’ve held off getting him the Muzzleloader permit because for our season any leftover tags are good for any deer. The idea being if he tagged out early I’d just get him the regular MZ tag right before the season. I’m thinking about getting him the lifetime one for Christmas this year just so he never has to think about it.

So far my daughter hasn’t wanted to archery hunt. She’s afraid her bow doesn’t have enough umpf even though it’s a legal weight. Probably from shooting next to her brother and I. I’ve offered to buy a crossbow if she’d go but she doesn’t seem interested in that. Same with the muzzleloader so far.

If I remember right we ended up spending $1850 on the four of us. Since that time NY has actually dropped the seasonal prices and combined big game and small game into one license. I still think I’m already ahead for myself but for the kids it was a no-brainer. Best part is the licenses are still valid if the holder moves out of state.
        Last edited by fitch270; 08-01-2021, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Best part is the licenses are still valid if the holder moves out of state.
          That was a plus for me too since we go out of state for the winter.
          A gimme is at age 65, even non residents can fish with no license in Oklahoma.
          The license just doesn't cover access fees to several public areas in Oklahoma.

Unfortunately, Texas doesn't offer a discount Lifetime License for the elderly.

Comment

Fitch: only down side to buying one for the kids is you are assuming they will never leave the state. In these times that might be taking a lot for granted. You always want your kids to live their best life. Sometimes that's farther away than you plan.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              Fitch: only down side to buying one for the kids is you are assuming they will never leave the state. In these times that might be taking a lot for granted. You always want your kids to live their best life. Sometimes that's farther away than you plan.
              Yeah, but he can always come back and hunt with pop in NY and not have to worry about a license.

Comment

A lifetime license for residents over 65 in Alabama is also known as a resident drivers license! I hope to cash in on that one when I move next season.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                  A lifetime license for residents over 65 in Alabama is also known as a resident drivers license! I hope to cash in on that one when I move next season.
                  That looks to be quite a move! Besides the weather change you might have a little culture shock. Maybe Pighunter can help you traverse it. Moving from Colorado to southeast Missouri jumped me back in time about a decade. Humidity, ticks, chiggers were a eye opener as well. Not to mention all the deer shrank!😉

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Yeah, but he can always come back and hunt with pop in NY and not have to worry about a license.
                    My son moved in '99. Still waiting to hunt with him again☹️

Comment

I knew it was a gamble but it was worth the risk. Especially since we have the farm, that gives them a place to come back to. I haven’t bothered figuring it out but will probably break even with him about when he’s out of college. Sooner for her. I’m already up $90 just for doe tag applications, Adding in the fishing license makes a difference as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        I knew it was a gamble but it was worth the risk. Especially since we have the farm, that gives them a place to come back to. I haven’t bothered figuring it out but will probably break even with him about when he’s out of college. Sooner for her. I’m already up $90 just for doe tag applications, Adding in the fishing license makes a difference as well.
                        Sorry fitch270, money spent on kids can't be credited on the balance scales of life! LOL! 😉

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Sorry fitch270, money spent on kids can't be credited on the balance scales of life! LOL! 😉
                          So so true

Comment

Tell me about it. I should keep my taxidermy guy on retainer.

Comment

I got a lifetime hunting license using the points from a CC sponsored by the Game and Parks (our version of DNR) department.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sight in
                                by fitch270
                                It’s only two weeks until the youth deer weekend so it was past time to get my daughter’s m700 .243 dialed in from the scope swaps I did a few months...
                                09-25-2021, 08:38 PM
                              • A couple 😡😡 from the range yesterday
                                by dewman
                                First, my 2001 Leupold vx2 crapped on me. I mean bullets flying everywhere. Had to burn more ammo I didn't want to determining it was indeed the scope....
                                09-24-2021, 09:25 PM
                              • Gear overload?
                                by fitch270
                                I’ve been thinking about this since my gun show post over on F&S. May have to cross post for more feed back but in the spirit of our earlier discussion...
                                09-22-2021, 09:26 PM
                              • 7mm-08 range time
                                by dewman
                                Almost sold this one because I couldn't get it under about 2". Then sitting at home I thought hmm, I've only been using 120gr because I have mostly...
                                09-22-2021, 08:18 PM
                              • Cool gift
                                by fitch270
                                At work today I was given this hand made slate call from one of my accounts. He’s a retired butcher, outdoorsman and former baseball coach. He also...
                                09-21-2021, 07:40 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X