From 24hourcampfire website Squirrel poachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From 24hourcampfire website Squirrel poachers

I know lots of guys who fudge the squirrel limit around here. Funny thing is, they are church deacon serious about all other rules & regs. I promise I don't because I have all the time I want so I am in no hurry to get a bunch and I don't have to prove anything at my age. IMG_2470.PNG

IMG_2471.PNG Posted this comment there, copied it here. Thoughts anyone? I never care about any of my threads being hijacked so if you have any comment, by all means share.

Comment

Hmmm. This is a tough situation.

1. Humans are driven to hunt. Like a cat that kills out of reflex, we are driven to hunt. But we are in the situation that we are mostly fat and sassy, with high calorie food available for cheap-cheap. So the kill and throw thing happens. BUT...

2. Those that do as in #1 are pretty reprehensible. Realize that killing is only a part of the process. The least of the process. It's a sign of maturity to hunt, but not kill. It may be a lesser experience, but get over it. We don't get to have everything just because we desire it.

Also,,,do you even know what you are missing? Yeah, it's a little work to clean and store the game. But you will never have such delectable meat in your life.

Get over it. Deer doesn't taste like beef, and gamebirds don't taste like chicken. Get out of the cafeteria. They have their own taste, and it's just different. Not "wrong.".

Don't shoot it if you're not saving your own life, or you don't want to eat it. That's my personal credo.

This might be more than my 2 cents...my apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
        Hmmm. This is a tough situation.

1. Humans are driven to hunt. Like a cat that kills out of reflex, we are driven to hunt. But we are in the situation that we are mostly fat and sassy, with high calorie food available for cheap-cheap. So the kill and throw thing happens. BUT...

2. Those that do as in #1 are pretty reprehensible. Realize that killing is only a part of the process. The least of the process. It's a sign of maturity to hunt, but not kill. It may be a lesser experience, but get over it. We don't get to have everything just because we desire it.

Also,,,do you even know what you are missing? Yeah, it's a little work to clean and store the game. But you will never have such delectable meat in your life.

Get over it. Deer doesn't taste like beef, and gamebirds don't taste like chicken. Get out of the cafeteria. They have their own taste, and it's just different. Not "wrong.".

Don't shoot it if you're not saving your own life, or you don't want to eat it. That's my personal credo.

This might be more than my 2 cents...my apologies.
        Never apologize when you know you are right.

Comment

When I hear stories like these it makes me wonder how common it is and how long it takes before the offenders get caught, if ever. Not including the idiots who post their illegal exploits on social media.

The Kid popped a woodchuck out by our garden last week, when he came back in the house he commented how he hates to shoot them just because. It made me think about how back in the day the things were considered on a level with rats and cockroaches, any chance you had to shoot one wasn’t second guessed at all. I suppose when critters are plentiful it changes some peoples mindset to an extent. Not saying that excuses anything. It also seems the line gets blurry between game animals and varmints or predators. As much as I’d like to start coyote and crow hunting seriously the whole killing for the sake of killing just doesn’t appeal to me.

I’ve been having a similar conversation with people I know locally about our bear population. It’s been about ten years or so since the DEC added our management unit for them. I still have no real desire to shoot one but their numbers keep increasing to the point where they’re more than just a nuisance. I’m not sure how many damage permits are given out to farmers but I wouldn’t be surprised it it rivals the actual hunting harvest totals. I’m starting to think I should take one given a legal opportunity but kind of hoping not to face that decision.

Comment

Fitch270: The first time a woodchuck tunnels under one of your outbuildings and you get a heavy rain causing your foundation to shift and crack, you won't feel that conflict any more. Not to mention what they can do to a bean field. I shoot coyotes. Period. I hunt crows more out of tradition than any real conflict but I'm careful to limit the damage I do. Tried cleaning one once, puked my guts out. They say black bear is good, compares favorably to pork. But as I've said on here from day one. The only one who can pull the trigger on the gun you are holding is you. It's your call. I don't judge.

Comment

I've never had a "overlimit" problem.
              By the time I collected a limit of anything, I was ready to go home.
              First, kinda like amflyer said, "If ya ain't gonna eat it, why shoot it?"
              Guess I was a always a bit on the lazy side. Cleaning a bunch of crappie (23) was a chore, even with an electric knife!. A limit of 37? If the wife and me both limited out, that's 74!🤯
              I've been in camp with 5 or 6 deer hanging. That's a lotta work.

I'm NOT "shoot and toss" lazy. THAT isn't lazy, that's sinful. I have my shortcomings that I deal with.

I also shoot vermin. Coyotes, armadillos, skunks and venomous snakes. Most everything else gets a walk.

Comment

I limited out and put my gun in case, was sitting over in my buds dove blind watering the dog when the CO came up to check.

Asked how many we got, bud said 5 or something, and I said I limited out so add 15 to whatever he said.
                Opened the communal cooler and that many birds were there.

CO was dumbfounded. Asked about my gun, so we walked to my blind, uncased it and showed him it was empty and he checked for a plug.

Just could not understand how I was done.

Told him im in the shade now, drinking cold water on a chair. IM DONE.

Finally dawned on him I was telling the truth.

My goal, every time, is to limit out and shoot 50% or better w no cherry picking.

15 friggin birds and a sunburn is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                  I limited out and put my gun in case, was sitting over in my buds dove blind watering the dog when the CO came up to check.

Asked how many we got, bud said 5 or something, and I said I limited out so add 15 to whatever he said.
                  Opened the communal cooler and that many birds were there.

CO was dumbfounded. Asked about my gun, so we walked to my blind, uncased it and showed him it was empty and he checked for a plug.

Just could not understand how I was done.

Told him im in the shade now, drinking cold water on a chair. IM DONE.

Finally dawned on him I was telling the truth.

My goal, every time, is to limit out and shoot 50% or better w no cherry picking.

15 friggin birds and a sunburn is enough.
                  If you would have put your birds together IN THE FIELD here in Missouri it would have cost you around $400 each in fines. Can't mix bags in Missouri. I've seen the write ups with my own eyes. Whether fish or game, if you mix your take together and it exceeds ONE limit, you all get a ticket. Wrote about it on either here or F&S before. It was our UPS driver last one I seen get the ticket. And his dove hunting compadres.☹️

Comment

No rule here. Never even heard of one.
                    And the CO never said anything to such.

They do however sit in the weeds and watch folks so proly saw the dog stealing em from my pile.

Comment

Of course no law around when the guys a few blinds down are dropping birds at 50 plus yards and claiming to run steel.

The F&W area has rules about limiting shot size too.
                      And its gotta be non toxic.

I doubt it was bismuth or tungsten they were using.

Comment

30 plus yrs hunting up there, maybe the old CO in the weeds told him to leave me alone LOL
                        Proly recognized my vehicle ( same color and type last 15 yrs or so )

Did notice most of the regulars are gone
                        Shame, was a fun group for a long time.

Change isnt always good.
                        One old boy, his dog died and it took a lot out of him.
                        Had some bad health before the pooch kicked the bucket.

Dunno whatever happened to him.
                        But he along w some others.....aint been up last few yrs.

I didnt even put in for the draw last yr, or this yr
                        Just not the same

New guys, some are cool, most are dipchits. Skybusting Youtube wannabes.

Comment

Skybusting Youtube wannabe
                          Hey, that's my CB handle. How'd you know?

Comment

30 plus yrs hunting up there, maybe the old CO in the weeds told him to leave me alone LOL
                            Proly recognized my vehicle ( same color and type last 15 yrs or so )

Did notice most of the regulars are gone
                            Shame, was a fun group for a long time.

Change isnt always good.
                            Had some bad health before the pooch kicked the bucket.

Dunno whatever happened to him.
                            But he along w some others.....aint been up last few yrs.

I didnt even put in for the draw last yr, or this yr
                            Just not the same

New guys, some are cool, most are dipchits. Skybusting Youtube wannabes.
                            Been spending more and more time on 24 hour campfire. Those guys run the spectrum. I'm mostly on the small game or classifieds. I enjoy the campfire but I've no desire to toss banter with those boys. Above my pay grade.

Comment

Had some bad health before the pooch kicked the bucket
                              His last name wouldn't happen to be Bojangles, would it?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sight in
                                by fitch270
                                It’s only two weeks until the youth deer weekend so it was past time to get my daughter’s m700 .243 dialed in from the scope swaps I did a few months...
                                09-25-2021, 08:38 PM
                              • A couple 😡😡 from the range yesterday
                                by dewman
                                First, my 2001 Leupold vx2 crapped on me. I mean bullets flying everywhere. Had to burn more ammo I didn't want to determining it was indeed the scope....
                                09-24-2021, 09:25 PM
                              • Gear overload?
                                by fitch270
                                I’ve been thinking about this since my gun show post over on F&S. May have to cross post for more feed back but in the spirit of our earlier discussion...
                                09-22-2021, 09:26 PM
                              • 7mm-08 range time
                                by dewman
                                Almost sold this one because I couldn't get it under about 2". Then sitting at home I thought hmm, I've only been using 120gr because I have mostly...
                                09-22-2021, 08:18 PM
                              • Cool gift
                                by fitch270
                                At work today I was given this hand made slate call from one of my accounts. He’s a retired butcher, outdoorsman and former baseball coach. He also...
                                09-21-2021, 07:40 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X