Well, we went.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, we went.

Were 3 of us "E" & "B". First thing, if you are the driver clean out your damn truck. Scooped 2 Walmart bags of trash out of E's Dodge before I would get in. It was HOT, hit 86 that afternoon, so wearing headnets & gloves, while necessary, was uncomfortable real quick. In fact I decided right away this would be more of a hiking trip and passed on the 2 I came across. E took 2 and B was already at 7 (he's late 30's) when we quit around 8:30. Red wasps had a nest on our entry trail so we waded the knee deep ditch(did my best practical joke ever) to go in. Skeeters and bugs not much issue but were there.Yes we saw snakes. Turned to wade fishing in the evening. Caught a bunch, almost one after the other, but few of any good size. A couple smallies over 14", but most under. Some sunfish, goggle eye, a couple crappie. Lots of fun but nothing worth tossing in the cooler. 6-1/2' med light spinning. 8lb mono, throwing 2" paddle tails or 1/4oz beetlespins. Just me and E for the fishing, will wait for cooler mornings before going again. IMG_2419.JPG

"Wenting"?
    "Hunting"?
    "Fishing"?

What's the diff?

"Trash In Trucks"
    Some folks give a "s#¡t, some don't!
    Don't mean they're bad folks, just trashy. LOL!
    (no offense meant!)

Comment

Our turkey hunting has been frustrating but we haven’t had to deal with any side discomforts. We still haven’t been fishing yet and won’t be real picky, I can’t remember our last fish fry.

So what was the practical joke?

Comment

I also find it irritating when someone wants me to ride in their trashy vehicle. Clutter from needful things is ok. But trash needs to be promptly taken out on a daily basis. Out of habit, I keep my vehicles clean for passengers in respect for myself and others.

Friday I went solo canoeing and fishing at the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge. This was my annual visit timed for when the Cahaba Lily is in bloom. Some years I take PigHuntress or my daughter with me, but this year I just wanted to spend some time alone. The Refuge is just outside a little community and the locals use the river for swimming and fishing. On the weekends the mile long dirt road along the river can get very congested so I take vacation time to go on a weekday.

I had the canoe loaded on top of the 2002 Xterra and drove to the end of the little road, passing many cars parked along the way. The put-in is a short walk from there at a sandy point where a small creek enters the river. The place is known for snakes so I kept a lookout as I loaded the canoe and launched. Talked with a couple of late teen boys who were fishing nearby.

As usual, the water is low this time of year and I had to drag the boat through the first set of shoals on my way about a mile downstream. There were two couples who looked to be in their 40's at the bottom of the drop and one of the women asked me how to get to Hargrove Shoals. I told them that's where I was heading and all they had to do was follow the trail beside the river for another 1/2 mile. To me Hargrove Shoals is the most beautiful place in Alabama when the Lilies are in bloom and that's where I want my ashes scattered.

I like to fish the upstream side of Hargrove and was soon there, pulling the canoe up onto a dry rock the opposite side of the river from that trail. After all, the point was to enjoy the outdoors alone and I didn't want any more conversations. The temp was in the mid 80's but the rock ledge that runs across the top of the shoals is about shin deep and helps make things comfortable.

The artificial worm still on the line from the last time I went lake fishing didn't work well. Several fish hit it but none would get hooked. Perhaps I was fishing it wrongly or they were not swallowing it deep enough. It was time to change to a Rapala, so back to the canoe. That's when I heard the cell phone ringing in the drybag. Grrrrr.

Apparently PigHuntress had a dead battery in her car and just wanted to let me know she'd borrowed my car. Then my daughter called to tell me about her promotion at work. Finally, my ex-wife called to see when she could pick up some of my old fence boards. Apparently they are good for painting projects... Oh well, back to fishing in solitude.

Ended up catching 6 small-mouth bass on that Rapala. Some were good eating size but all were released. I paddled back upstream, dragging the canoe through that first set of shoals. There were a different set of young men fishing at the take-out and they were having no luck. So, I gave one of them an extra Rapala and the other asked if I had any spare split-shot. In return, they drug the canoe for me back up to the 4x4.

Got home about dark, unloaded everything from the Xterra, washed off the canoe, paddles, and shoes before coming in for supper. PigHuntress and I watched a little TV and then I came into the office to sit at the computer. Looked down at my bare feet and noticed the top / outside of the left had been bleeding but was now clotted. Started cleaning off the blood and noticed two small round puncture wounds about 3/4 inch apart. Hmmm, had my Merrell Moab shoes on the whole time and was protected from rocks and sticks. My guess is snake bite but no venom was injected since there's no pain or swelling... What an interesting day!

Didn't take any new pics but here's some from a previous year.

Cahaba Fish 2016_05_27 ra.jpg

Cahaba Lilies 2016_05_27a r.jpg Camo canoe drag 2016_05_27a r.JPG

Comment

So what was the practical joke?[/QUOTE] When I started across the ditch coming back (water less than knee deep, the color of creamered coffee) on my second step I stepped on one end of a branch. Immediately about 10ft farther out the other end pops up. The other end is fist size and it flies up oh around 10inches or so. Startled me. HMMMM..... I step back out and wait for my compadres to come along. About 15 minutes go by and here they come. They ask why I haven't crossed yet. I say I am nervous because of all the giant alligator snappers mating here at this time of year so this is a dangerous set of ditches. They say maybe true but what are the odds right. Ok heros you go first. They lead I follow. I put my foot on the branch again and when they get next to the knobby other end I stomp down hard screaming," Look out, look out! he's right there!". Now i know how Jesus walked on water. No bullets fired, no pants peed, nobody walks home. Sweet

Comment

That actually did make me LOL.

Just be careful next time out with those guys, you know what they say about payback.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              That actually did make me LOL.

Just be careful next time out with those guys, you know what they say about payback.
              They screamed like girls. Really, no cussing just high pitched shrieks. I'm sure I've got something coming my way.

Comment

PH: that looks like a pretty stretch of water.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  PH: that looks like a pretty stretch of water.
                  Dewman, that was an excellent prank you played on your buddies! Well done!

The Cahaba is a nice little river and I'm sure you would like it.

Comment

Nice write up, Dew and PH. I've fished more this year than the last 20, due to a budding 11-year old angular angler.

I spent the weekend in Downtown Denver, playing tourist with some friends.

1. Things are busy again at the airports and cities.
                    2. I still don't like being in bunches of people, even after the pandemic days
                    3. Pot doesn't smell any better when it's legal
                    4. Everything in downtown Denver smells like pot. Except when it smells like urine.
                    5. I am old and cranky, and ready to go to bed by 10:00 when I have had a good meal and a few drinks.
                    6. Pro baseball players, even if they are on a crappy team, are pretty amazing athletes.

Comment

amflyer, in re: your above #4

My eldest worked in downtown Denver.
                      Getting off work meant greeting the morning llwith a naked street person (male) urinating in the building shrubbery planters, then wading through the homeless and piles of feces.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

So what was the practical joke?
                        When I started across the ditch coming back (water less than knee deep, the color of creamered coffee) on my second step I stepped on one end of a branch. Immediately about 10ft farther out the other end pops up. The other end is fist size and it flies up oh around 10inches or so. Startled me. HMMMM..... I step back out and wait for my compadres to come along. About 15 minutes go by and here they come. They ask why I haven't crossed yet. I say I am nervous because of all the giant alligator snappers mating here at this time of year so this is a dangerous set of ditches. They say maybe true but what are the odds right. Ok heros you go first. They lead I follow. I put my foot on the branch again and when they get next to the knobby other end I stomp down hard screaming," Look out, look out! he's right there!". Now i know how Jesus walked on water. No bullets fired, no pants peed, nobody walks home. Sweet

[/QUOTE]

This is Precious!🤣

Comment

Dewman, you better hope they think of some payback quickly, because the longer they have time to put something together.....boy oh boy !! But, they may have a hard time beating what you pulled off........!!

Comment

UPDATE: After the front moves through today highs for the next 3 days will be lucky to hit 70 so we are heading back. Round 2 coming up 🐿

Comment

Good luck ! Let’s hope you are still around for a round 3 if needed, lol !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget