Squirrels open early this year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrels open early this year.

In years past, squirrel & stream bass has always been the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. This year it's the 22nd. A pal and I are hitting up the national wildlife refuge since the usual Memorial Day gawkers won't be around. Have a spot that's got ditches on 3 sides and a road along the 4th side. About 3/4 mile or so across. Loads of squirrels. Of course it's also loaded with cottonmouths, copperheads, rattlesnakes too. The fallen trees are packed with black widows, brown recluses, ticks, chiggars and every kind of stinging weed you can think of. In the murky knee-thigh deep ditches they find alligator snappers so big you almost couldn't fathom it. But on the bright side the mosquitoes are so thick (you can here them I swear) if it gets warmer that your mind won't focus on the other critters. Thinking shorts and sandals. We were going to hunt with shotguns and carry pistols but couldn't find any 20ga steel shot so we will take 22 rifles. Yea! IMG_2384.JPG

"steel shot"?
    WMA regs or just preference?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      "steel shot"?
      WMA regs or just preference?
      Regs. Even the turkey hunters were required to use it. On this WMA squirrel ends on opening day of bow season.

Comment

So is the idea to get out there at daybreak or doesn’t it matter?

We’ve had frost every morning it hasn’t rained. Bugs haven’t been bad yet but it’s coming.

Have fun!

Comment

Fitch says “Have fun” !! Yeah, with all the little life threatening factors of your ‘fun’ day, I imagine just staying alive will be the fun part ! I am not sure but what the squirrels won’t be in less danger than the ‘hunters’ ! But, I echo fitch.......have fun !

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            So is the idea to get out there at daybreak or doesn’t it matter?

We’ve had frost every morning it hasn’t rained. Bugs haven’t been bad yet but it’s coming.

Have fun!
            We will wait till it's good and light so we can see where we are stepping and to better avoid all the spider webs and briars.Temp and rain will be the biggest factor as to what kind of morning we have. Plan to be out by noon, maybe smallmouth fish the evenin. Can't be worse than teal/snipe hunting and NOTHING is as bad as floating ditches at night hunting frogs.

Comment

That reeks dewman! The WMA near me doesn't require steel shot for anything but waterfowl.

My grampa and me loved the spring squirrel season. First cool, still day, we'd hit it.
              It was the last hunt until dove season in Sept.
              Grampa didn't care about dove hunting. He would take me occasionally though.
              Our "thang" was squirrel, deer, crappie and the little "pink eye" bass in the Neches River.

Comment

Does the steel shot get any more "bouncy" off the trees than lead? I could see that being a bit of a thing, since it's harder. I guess the bark should help.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                  Does the steel shot get any more "bouncy" off the trees than lead? I could see that being a bit of a thing, since it's harder. I guess the bark should help.
                  You probably learn to chew slower after chomping down on one.

Comment

What kind of squirrels do you have ? I always hunted the big fat gray's - .22 pistol or rifle only. Shot one squirrel in my life with shotgun, that was the end of that. Around me in Ohio we have a sizeable population of black squirrels. Nice looking squirrels. Never hunted them. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      What kind of squirrels do you have ? I always hunted the big fat gray's - .22 pistol or rifle only. Shot one squirrel in my life with shotgun, that was the end of that. Around me in Ohio we have a sizeable population of black squirrels. Nice looking squirrels. Never hunted them. Good Luck.
                      Foxes and grays. The big fox squirrels are the draw for this place. Still quite a bit smaller than the ones in Michigan. If this was fall the shotgun would never be an option but since this is more akin to hunting the Amazon, the easier to hit with shotgun allows us to get in faster and out quicker. We are looking to limit out(20-10apiece) and not wanting to return for a round two unless it goes really smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                        I have no clue.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget