Opportunity knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opportunity knocking

I should probably hold off on mentioning this for a bit but here we go.

Got the annual pre-season turkey call (lol) from my cousin last night, we caught up on recent happenings and talked a bit about what plans are. He’ll be down at some point but we didn’t finalize. Talked for about a half hour.

About ten minutes after hanging up he called back. He’d gotten an email from our other cousin who’s a guide while we were talking. They had a fishing trip planned for Alaska last year which was postponed. It’s on again for this year. He called back to tell me he’d been waiting on the email before bringing up the trip as he wasn’t sure if anyone else could tag along.

Turns out there’s room for a few extra people. And a caribou hunt thrown in. And ptarmigan. At a substantially reduced rate.

He didn’t have much more in the way of details other than it would be the first or second week of September and that we wouldn’t need to bring guns along. I thanked him for the heads up and we said good bye again.

He’d been on speaker snd my wife was in on the conversation. About 15 minutes later she says “You haven’t said anything about Alaska.” I replied that it hadn’t been on my radar so I didn’t know what to think.

Been thinking about it all day. My wife wouldn’t make much fuss over it but she’s been looking for vacation ideas for months and I’m not good at that, especially under the circumstances of the past year. Then factor in if I go the Kid has to go if it’s not a problem, and I doubt it would be.

We’ll be talking it over I’m sure. Question is can my wife talk me OUT of having a guilt trip if I go through with it. Clock is ticking, trip is only about four months out.

Have I mentioned I’m a blessed man?

What would you do?

Yes, yes I would go. All the signs are there for it to be a go. Price, timing, hassle(not), adventure. 👍👍

Comment

Fishing?
      Caribou?
      Ptarmigan?
      In Alaska?
      Reduced rate?

If you can swing it, GO!
      If you trust the folks that are going, at least send the kid! Trip of a lifetime!

That said, you also don't want to upset the apple cart at home.
      I've been to Alaska three times, only to fish.
      Wouldn't have missed it for anything.
      I could have almost taken the wife to Israel (her dream trip) for what the last trip cost.

The last trip to Kodiak, my bil called (we had never been "close") and asked if I was going back to Kodiak.
      Why?
      "Sign me up!"
      In 2015, we went to Kodiak. He passed in 2020. Trip of a lifetime.

God doesn't guarantee us our next breath fitch270.

Comment

Two of us are in our mid 50’s, the other ten years older than me. I’ve spent much more time with the elder cousin but the three of us are pretty tight and have a great time when we all are together. Sometimes a bit too great. Last trip together was in ‘08 so we’re due and the clock’s ticking. Very likely the only shot the Kid would have with us.

Still waiting on details, the guide cuz is up there now. Contact can be sparse at times.

Comment

Fine, if you're afraid to go by yourself, I'll go with you. Only because I wouldn't want your kid to miss out on a chance like that...

Comment

And if it would make you feel better, I'd even let you pay my way.

Comment

I'd sure give it a long, hard look.
              Opportunities like that don't come along often.

In the mid 70's, there was an explosion of the smaller Cape Buffalo of South Africa. The government was offering, basically, unlimited tags if they would just come and shoot them.
              A buddy and I actually bought Ruger M77 rifles in .458 Win Mag and started looking into how to get there.
              I was single, my buddy was married.
              My buddy couldn't keep his "nose" clean and the trip fell apart.

We could could have hunted about 3 or 4 days, been gone about a week and sold our rifles in S. Africa for almost enough to pay for the trip. ...or been trampled to death by po'd Cape Buffalo! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                Fine, if you're afraid to go by yourself, I'll go with you. Only because I wouldn't want your kid to miss out on a chance like that...
                Kid don’t know about it yet, unless he heard us on speaker. If there’s room at the table I could check on dealing you in, if you’re up for a gamble.

Back of my mind I’d been thinking of loading him and the pup this fall for some bird hunting somewhere. I hear Kansas is nice and I have this old bottle of cheap Scotch.....

Comment

Looks like a pass on this one. Outfitters price is tempting but when you double it and add in travel and other incidentals it would run more than our Montana trip. If it was a caribou hunt with fishing and birds a possibility I’d be more inclined to sign us up. This is primarily bay fishing, since I’ve done the wilderness Alaska river deal with these guys and have taken the Kid to the Ontario wilderness three times it’s not exactly a once in a lifetime bucket list thing. Factor in school starting just days before and work being full bore at that time, plus the girls being left behind once again and I’m just not feeling it. Best shot of us going would be if my wife talks me into it.
                  Last edited by fitch270; 04-29-2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I'd probably pass on it too. Instead, use the time and money for a tropical beach. Here's a couple of pics from our St. Croix vacation. Rented a house overlooking a bioluminescent bay, went snorkeling and SCUBA diving, drank lots of rum...

Exploring St Croix 07 r.jpg
                    Last edited by PigHunter; 04-30-2021, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                      Looks like a pass on this one. Outfitters price is tempting but when you double it and add in travel and other incidentals it would run more than our Montana trip. If it was a caribou hunt with fishing and birds a possibility I’d be more inclined to sign us up. This is primarily bay fishing, since I’ve done the wilderness Alaska river deal with these guys and have taken the Kid to the Ontario wilderness three times it’s not exactly a once in a lifetime bucket list deal. Factor in school starting just days before and work being full bore at that time, plus the girls being left behind once again and I’m just not feeling it. Best shot of us going would be if my wife talks me into it.
                      Bay fishing in Alaska sounds awesome!
                      Halibut, rockfish, Pacific cod, ling cod! All good eaters.
                      BUT....I DO see your point.

The "longliners" have done pretty significant damage to the halibut fishery, especially out around Kodiak Island.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I have this old bottle of cheap Scotch.....

Yes you do! Ha!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget