First snow scouting. Recoil pad on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First snow scouting. Recoil pad on

Got the first snow of the season yesterday so brother and I went today at the crack of dawn to check out the animal movement on his ground. Plenty tracks but no surprises. Fella I hunted with this year did the same but again, no surprises. The rut might add a few from other directions but I think we got them figured out. If nothing in the area changes of course. Reassuring to know how animals move on your hunting ground. Finished the recoil pad last night. Buffing the edges with a sanding sponge to keep them from catching in clothing when I mount the gun (to my shoulder comedians). Stay safe IMG_2283.JPG

Awesome job, dewman!
    That clean of a clean up job is outside my patience level! LOL!
    Mitch and Jim would wrap one layer of masking tape around the stock. When they finished, you could see where they burned the tape all the way around.
    I would only do my guns.
    I ALWAYS ended up with high spots and at least 2 gouges in the stock! 😖!

Comment

We run a couple trail cams mostly just because we enjoy the pictures anymore. The Kid did all the work this year swapping cards and going through all the photos. What I’ve noticed the past couple years is that there have been several ways the deer generally move about the place and the main routes seem to alternate every few years. No idea why, food sources don’t change all that much but maybe that has something to do with it. Just as likely different deer simply find their own routines.

Pad looks good Dewman. Scope it yet? Can’t recall.

Comment

FB: I actually do it "Larry Potterfield" style with white chalk powder. Pad is sanded off of the gun itself. When you get near the lines you go SLOW and keep holding the pad to the butt till everything looks perfect. Remember you can't add material, only remove. If you blow the photo up you can see a faint white trace near the top.
        Fitch: Yes I put one of my old school vx2 3x9's on it. The tracking on it is as close to perfect as I've ever had and the clarity is Leupold sweet, of course. In Leupold rings and bases.

Comment

Looks great Dewman.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
            Looks great Dewman.
            Thanks RA. Was wondering where you were. With all these reloading posts going up I figured you would have some input. Stay safe

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              Thanks RA. Was wondering where you were. With all these reloading posts going up I figured you would have some input. Stay safe
              I’ve managed to stay too busy to do much reloading. I have 5 loads ready to put on paper, the model 70 to re-bed and replace the recoil pad on.

Comment

I’ve managed to stay too busy to do much reloading. I have 5 loads ready to put on paper, the model 70 to re-bed and replace the recoil pad on.
                Do you have to remove wood to swap pads? I chopped 5/8" off both my '06 Winchester 770 and my 7mm-08 model 70. You doing it yourself? What is your definition of "re-bed"? Is there a problem?

Comment

Do you have to remove wood to swap pads? I chopped 5/8" off both my '06 Winchester 770 and my 7mm-08 model 70. You doing it yourself? What is your definition of "re-bed"? Is there a problem?
                  The model 70 has a synthetic stock, I don't know whether I'll need to shorten it or not.

Yes.

When I disassembled it to clean it part of the epoxy(?) bedding stuck with the action and the rest stayed in the stock.

Comment

The model 70 has a synthetic stock, I don't know whether I'll need to shorten it or not.

Yes.

When I disassembled it to clean it part of the epoxy(?) bedding stuck with the action and the rest stayed in the stock.
                    How do you get epoxy off? Did you do the original bed job? I thought your model 70 was wood, guess I'm thinking of someone else.

Comment

How do you get epoxy off? Did you do the original bed job? I thought your model 70 was wood, guess I'm thinking of someone else.
                      It scraped off fairly easily. I did not. The serial number indicates the rifle was made 1992-93, I bought it last July.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                        by dewman
                        All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                        03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                      • Ammunition vs. components.
                        by Red Angus
                        Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                        03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                      • Deer population
                        by Red Angus
                        Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                        03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                      • Nice find poochie!
                        by FirstBubba
                        The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                        THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                        02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                      • 6.8 Western
                        by jhjimbo
                        Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                        02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X