Close encounters; The Kid's bumming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close encounters; The Kid's bumming

The Kid's hard core. With school out for a snow day he hunted all Thursday afternoon with his uncle and another guy, then again yesterday after school. Trudging through 18" or so of settled powder started wearing on him but he still went up on the hill alone this morning a little after sunrise. We never sighted in the second muzzleloader so I had a good excuse to wimp out.

He just came down and he's about as disappointed as I can remember. He came on some tracks down low that weren't particularly fresh but he started following them just to see where they went. He's been going up several times a week after school and such but hasn't had much happening, once in a while crossing paths with a few small does and a couple spikes. So he's walking along slow, not really still hunting but rather just kind of easing along parallel with the tracks that are headed up the backside of our ridge. He gets to the bottom of a bowl that sits below a higher flat. It's a tough spot to hunt because it's fairly steep and the wind generally comes from over the top. In conditions like this the deer will sometimes hang on the upper edge in the sun looking down with the wind at their back. It's one of those spots that tends to have lots of sign but you don't often see deer there. So as he gets to the base of the rise he sees a deer about 100 yards out looking down at him. He drops to a kneeling position pulling the gun up and the hammer back as realizes it's a bigger than average buck staring at him. Just as the gun hits his shoulder the buck takes off running, all he can do is watch it vanish. It's headed toward the neighbors so he loops up above hoping to catch it hooking back around but doesn't see it again. He's not sure if it was the ten point from earlier this year or a different buck altogether but says it definitely wasn't one of the 14" or so eight points that had been around.

The way he's shaking his head I have no doubt it was another good one. He has enough experience to know what he's looking at. We're busy with holiday commitments the rest of the day but it looks like I'll be sighting in that other muzzleloader before tomorrow afternoon.

If the Kid finds a shed off this deer he'll be on a mission next year.

He may be bumming some but that rush you get when you realize "Holy cow there he is!" Is something special that you cant get watching a screen or hearing second hand. It's something that can't be adequately explained. Non hunters will never get it. Only hunters and fishermen know it, it's what we live for. It's what drives us. I'm glad your son got to have another feeling like that - win or lose. Glad you shared.

Comment

I’m sure he’ll be smiling about it tomorrow, the “if only” will be replaced by “that was awesome”. Right now I think he feels like he wasn’t paying enough attention but from the deer’s position it would have been tough for the Kid to see the buck first. The only way to have the visual advantage there is to come in from upwind. It’s tricky, and is the reason we don’t kill many in that area. My cousin was even talking about it when he was down opening weekend.

If it was the same 10pt I had under me during bow season that’s twice he’s beaten us. Maybe the third time will be the charm. Hopefully next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        I’m sure he’ll be smiling about it tomorrow, the “if only” will be replaced by “that was awesome”. Right now I think he feels like he wasn’t paying enough attention but from the deer’s position it would have been tough for the Kid to see the buck first. The only way to have the visual advantage there is to come in from upwind. It’s tricky, and is the reason we don’t kill many in that area. My cousin was even talking about it when he was down opening weekend.

If it was the same 10pt I had under me during bow season that’s twice he’s beaten us. Maybe the third time will be the charm. Hopefully next fall.
        Think of it this way, he will spread his genes around to perpetuate the growth gene.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Think of it this way, he will spread his genes around to perpetuate the growth gene.
          That should be mostly over for this year. I think most of his size is age related anyway, he’s not a young buck for this area.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

That should be mostly over for this year. I think most of his size is age related anyway, he’s not a young buck for this area.
            Are you in NY ? NY has a voluntary program spelled out in the regulation book to let the smaller bucks grow to increase the percentage that then have the large racks and the State is seeing the results of the program for the last few years.
            I did the same thing bear hunting NY years ago by not shooting any of the 'big dog' sized bears. Some guys blast anything that moves, they take animals they can tuck under their arm carrying out. The friend I hunt with in NY (a guide) wants us to shoot the 400+ boars and instructs his clients that is what he will guide them for. .

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Are you in NY ? NY has a voluntary program spelled out in the regulation book to let the smaller bucks grow to increase the percentage that then have the large racks and the State is seeing the results of the program for the last few years.
              I did the same thing bear hunting NY years ago by not shooting any of the 'big dog' sized bears. Some guys blast anything that moves, they take animals they can tuck under their arm carrying out. The friend I hunt with in NY (a guide) wants us to shoot the 400+ boars and instructs his clients that is what he will guide them for. .
              Yes in NY, and also in one of the WMU's with mandatory antler restrictions. There's a lot of chatter about the number of nice deer taken around here this year but I think it has as much to do with several straight easy winters and an overall increase in the deer population as the regs themselves. That and less hunting pressure in general.

Comment

Geez fitch270! You don't want him killing them all! LOL!
                A little humility never hurt anyone.
                Several years ago, just as the sun pops out, I see a real hoss standing in the fence corner about 250 yards off. My limit!
                Just as I get him in the scope, he jumps the fence! Never saw him again!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo shortage over?
                  by dewman
                  Stopped off at my favorite gun shop this morning. His shelves were full of ammo, powder. Remington, winchester, federal, CCI, Aguilar, all the .22's were...
                  Today, 12:14 PM
                • More reloading stuff
                  by fitch270

Rather than hijack RA’s reloading thread I thought I’d continue my progress separately. Pretty sure we can keep both running....
                  01-18-2021, 11:19 PM
                • 17hm2 fail part 3 CCI response
                  by dewman
                  Been in email contact with technical service rep Cody B. through out the day . They are sending me UPS to pick up ammo and take it to them. Will reimburse...
                  01-18-2021, 07:12 PM
                • 17hm2 detonation part 2
                  by dewman
                  So this morning I went to pry the blockage out. Surprise! All that came out, and popped out easily, was the bullet still sitting in the throat. Tip intact(messed...
                  01-17-2021, 11:52 AM
                • 17hm2 explodes in the chamber
                  by dewman
                  $65 to replace magwell& clip if gun is o.k.Was at a friends shooting our rimfires at flocks of blackbirds. Me with my ever present CZ. I lined up...
                  01-16-2021, 08:56 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X