Hogs , do you eat them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hogs , do you eat them?

Question my son brought up , do you guys who hunt hogs eat them?

"NO"

They only thing I care 10 cents about is 30 lbs or less on the hoof.
    That leaves you about 15 pounds dressed out and it will fit my smoker whole! Good stuff, Maynard!

Piglets grow quickly. Thirty pounds or less on the hoof, they haven't had "as much" time to ingest undesirable foodstuffs. Also less time to contract and develop the myriad of diseases they carry.
    Less time to develop internal parasites.
    NOTE:
    swine do not have a lymphatic system. Any toxins they may ingest don't affect them, but they store the toxins and (CAN) pass toxins to a consumer.

NOTE 2:
    I have eaten ferals up to 250/300 with no ill effects.

I have killed hogs in a trap I didn't want. I drug them out into an open field.
    THE BUZZARDS NEVER TOUCHED THEM!
    ...and that wasn't the first time.

Pmacc60- the above is my personal preference. I can guarantee you, if I was desperate for protein, I WOULD kill a hog if the opportunity presented itself.

Comment

Thanks FB and PigHunter you answered my question extremely well.

Comment

In Turkey when we got a medium size the beaters would split and head for the beach and a start a cooking fire. They would pick up a couple gallons of wine, some goats cheese and ekmek. After hunting, the nurses would come down and we would have dinner and party until sunrise.

Comment

Pigs can swim jimbo, but not that far.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

Pigs are native to the Eurasian and African continents, ranging from Europe to the Pacific islands.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig#:~...n%20continents.

Wild Boar Hunting in Turkey
            https://www.anatoliasafari.com/en/wi...ting-in-turkey
            I hunted North of Izmir, daytime with a bunch of beaters for drives. They came in a school bus so maybe 30 of them. Usually about 10 or 15 of us and we would get 3 or 4 pigs - 200lb class.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget