Lost some cover; pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost some cover; pic heavy

5CB9EC2F-42B2-47D3-824B-50B91EF2993B.jpeg3F8A1BA0-118C-4793-A411-8BF182B721B5.jpeg​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to fix it was a complete overhaul including a new spring box. Unfortunately the line ran down through a much overgrown old pasture area that was a mess of multifloral rose, choke cherry, thorn apple, etc. Perfect grouse and deer cover. Pretty much wiped out to give them room to do the work needed. Lost several decent sized apple trees as well. They started work Monday, it took four days to get the line half way down. LOTS of rock. ​ They temporarily attached the new to the rest of the old to get her water for the weekend but will make the run down through the field next week. That will be easy digging.

On the plus side the old farm road will be much improved to where we’ll have better access up top. We also now have an area that we may plant a Christmas tree patch and some cultivated blueberries. A blank canvas so to speak. Going to be some clean up work as well but we can deal with that later. Timing isn’t so great, it’s definitely going to affect deer movement but it is what it is.
    Last edited by fitch270; 09-19-2020, 06:13 PM.

Well that sucks but was necessary. That does look like a lot of rock.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      5CB9EC2F-42B2-47D3-824B-50B91EF2993B.jpeg3F8A1BA0-118C-4793-A411-8BF182B721B5.jpeg​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to fix it was a complete overhaul including a new spring box. Unfortunately the line ran down through a much overgrown old pasture area that was a mess of multifloral rose, choke cherry, thorn apple, etc. Perfect grouse and deer cover. Pretty much wiped out to give them room to do the work needed. Lost several decent sized apple trees as well. They started work Monday, it took four days to get the line half way down. LOTS of rock. ​ They temporarily attached the new to the rest of the old to get her water for the weekend but will make the run down through the field next week. That will be easy digging.

On the plus side the old farm road will be much improved to where we’ll have better access up top. We also now have an area that we may plant a Christmas tree patch and some cultivated blueberries. A blank canvas so to speak. Going to be some clean up work as well but we can deal with that later. Timing isn’t so great, it’s definitely going to affect deer movement but it is what it is.
      Rocks? What rocks? 🧐

Comment

We have a lot of granite rocks and limestone shelves around here.

Comment

I've been making a new trail down to the neighborhood lake and have building stairs out of large rip-rap stone. I would have liked to use some of those rocks in the photo.

Comment

From what little I can see it looks like a beautiful piece of ground.

Comment

I dunno, when they did dozer work on my buds place the mud had a ton of deer tracks
              Can ya toss some winter wheat on that new field?
              (or whatever late planting might work)

Comment

RA; Ours is bluestone, my place sits just below an old quarry. The higher you go the bigger the rock gets. Looking at the stone walls and rock piles on the place it's hard to imagine how they did it all by hand/ horse.

PH; I'll send all you can handle if you pay shipping 😎.

Dewman ; Thanks, we're kinda bias towards it. Leaves are just starting to turn color, hopefully the next couple weeks will really make the hills pop. Happy to give you a tour if you ever pass by.

CD2; I'm sure the deer will check it out but it's going to make sneaking up in a bit tricky. At least we feel exposed at this point. I'll probably seed the better spots with winter rye but will wait until the bulldozer and excavator are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  I've been making a new trail down to the neighborhood lake and have building stairs out of large rip-rap stone. I would have liked to use some of those rocks in the photo.
                  If you make a trip to Kansas drag a trailer and we'll get you a few of our granite rocks to line your path with.

IMG_20200920_121029562.jpg
                  We moved these rocks into the edge of my parents yard several years ago and my sisters planted irises around them.

Comment

No one can say you don't have stones!

Comment

3E0506ED-B323-4FC4-BC81-E4E93987916E.jpegB4F8291B-2939-43A1-9121-0A682F9955A0.pngC9846E5F-6ED3-45B7-8B94-5C0503A6098E.jpeg A bit of an update.

They finished running the line down through the field today, run all the way into the basement. Just over 1700 feet from the spring to the house. Water is turned off for the time being, going to replace some plumbing in the 150 year old house before letting it rip. The hot water heater was about 20 years old, it couldn’t take the increase in pressure when they temporarily got the water hooked up last Thursday and blew out on Saturday morning. New one is in place but we’re not filling it until we run the line clear of any sediment.

You guys that know fresh dirt and wildlife will understand this, not 15 minutes after the machines shut down these guys popped out of the woods. You can see the power lines they’re under running across the meadow. Three total, I couldn’t get them all in frame. I expect deer tracks all over in a few days.

Comment

They better run! Thanksgiving isn't that far off. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          They better run! Thanksgiving isn't that far off. 😉
                          There’s been five of them around a couple times the past few weeks, not sure if the other two were nearby. They did see me getting into a position to take some pics but only moved off to about 75 yards out and resumed picking. I could actually hear them clucking a bit, the new hearing aids might be tuned in better than the old ones. Be nice to hear deer coming before I can see them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                            by Ernie
                            Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                          • Outdoor Life archives
                            by Scott123
                            Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                            10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                          • Blade Stain
                            by jhjimbo
                            Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                            10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                          • Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                          • Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X