Dewman goes Teal hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewman goes Teal hunting.

So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me to go. Well a federal stamp & a box of steel and off we went to some low flooded field/swamp/junk timber. Hunt teal in the morning and rails/snipe midday. What misery. Take ever specie of biting insect you know and triple it. Oppressive heat and a bird that is unbelievable fast and agile complete sporting hell. I know why there werent any teenagers with us. 6 birds limits, hah very funny. There were 4 of us. One fella took 2 the rest of us 0. As for snipe, good luck identifying one when it pops up from a willet, or a dowitcher, or a yellowleg ( Sora rails have yellow legs themselves)or heck even a sandpiper. God forbid they open up woodcock season now instead of October 15. Never pulled a trigger, did stir up 4,832,419,065 insects who exacted revenge. Praying for Covid before they call inviting me again. Glad church was there to save me a return trip Sunday.

So do you rate this endeavor higher or lower than frog gigging?

Good on you for not only trying something new but hopefully building a good relationship with the landowner.

Comment

Fitch 270: I don't need new friends quite THAT bad. 😏Please don't bring up frog gigging. I itch in my sleep. So many nightmares. You country boys who live near field ditches. Don't go under them low bridges at night, and if you do, try to scream in a lower octave when stuff starts dropping on your back. Another hint, insects look MUCH larger at night.🕷🕸👀😫
      Last edited by dewman; 09-13-2020, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me to go. Well a federal stamp & a box of steel and off we went to some low flooded field/swamp/junk timber. Hunt teal in the morning and rails/snipe midday. What misery. Take ever specie of biting insect you know and triple it. Oppressive heat and a bird that is unbelievable fast and agile complete sporting hell. I know why there werent any teenagers with us. 6 birds limits, hah very funny. There were 4 of us. One fella took 2 the rest of us 0. As for snipe, good luck identifying one when it pops up from a willet, or a dowitcher, or a yellowleg ( Sora rails have yellow legs themselves)or heck even a sandpiper. God forbid they open up woodcock season now instead of October 15. Never pulled a trigger, did stir up 4,832,419,065 insects who exacted revenge. Praying for Covid before they call inviting me again. Glad church was there to save me a return trip Sunday.
        Thanks for the chuckles dewman, I must say I enjoyed your ‘little’ miseries and your eloquent reporting of same ! I have never tried hunting any of the critters you mentioned, but I think you have saved me the trouble of finding out I would not enjoy it !

Comment

Froggin' is a piece of cake! ....'cept fer the skeeters, snakes, spiders, heat, mud and nasty water.
          I do love the summertime bellow of a big old bullfrog sitting on a pond bank! Delicious meal, it's just no longer worth all the work.

I understand hitting them little "teals" can be tough at best! LOL!
          Every spring, we have "blue wing" teal that nest and raise on our ponds!
          They are a blast to watch and hear!

Comment

I can say with confidence I'm done with both. Still got a $25 duck stamp so I may try regular ducks or maybe goose but my knees and hip are going to need a couple days to recoup from my latest fun. I'm actually using a cane to get around.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              I can say with confidence I'm done with both. Still got a $25 duck stamp so I may try regular ducks or maybe goose but my knees and hip are going to need a couple days to recoup from my latest fun. I'm actually using a cane to get around.
              OUCH!
              I have an appointment Friday. My old beat up right foot is giving me fits.
              I don't think they will be able to do anything other than amputate! LOL! THAT ain't happening ... YET!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

OUCH!
                I have an appointment Friday. My old beat up right foot is giving me fits.
                I don't think they will be able to do anything other than amputate! LOL! THAT ain't happening ... YET!
                Be happy it is only your foot ! They may not be as linnet with something else, ouch !!!

Comment

Try the regular ducks. Better weather, no bugs. I've had great teal hunts, and buggy mosquito tests too.

Comment

Dewman , teal is how I started duck hunting working the beaver ponds in my youth. Thanks for the chuckles , it reminded me of those times . Yellow jacket nest , bites from everything , spiderwebs and the prize ! Ducks as small as a pigeon enough feathers for Pillow. Nah no thanks for me also.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                      by dewman
                      Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                      Today, 08:40 AM
                    • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                      by dewman
                      Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                      Today, 07:59 AM
                    • What is taking so long ?
                      by jhjimbo
                      Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                      Yesterday, 07:52 PM
                    • Burn cream
                      by CD2
                      Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                      No longer does.
                      Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                      Bargain.

Got...
                      Yesterday, 05:39 PM
                    • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                      by dewman
                      So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                      09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X