Crow hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crow hunting

Anybody into crow hunting? I've tried it a time or two. This winter I'm thinking about it a little more seriously. My usual wintertime game, cottontails and grouse, are kind of few and far between this year. I've never really cared for killing anything I don't eat, but frankly my area is overrun with crows and I doubt my conscience will suffer much. Does anybody have any tips for decoys, calling, etc.? I know they're very smart and very keen-sighted. Overall I'm not looking to invest much. Probably just some white clothing for camo, maybe a decoy or two. I think I've already got a crow-call somewhere but don't really know much of their language.

Matt, as a much younger man, I did do some crow hunting, used a mouth crow call and did a decent job of it. The language is not really the big thing, it is mostly making a lot of racket as if there was a fight going on. The big enemy of crows are owls, so find a good owl decoy, set it where it is visable, get decent with the call and you should do okay. They are smart, so they mustn’t ever see you. After you get your set up made, wait 10 minutes or so, and then have at it. If electronic calls are legal in your area, by all means go that way. Good luck !

Comment

Yep, you got me, I crow hunt. Was hunting them this weekend (60's). Despite the occasional recipes in magazines I don't eat them. Pull the hide off the breast and take a whiff. I use mouth and electronic as well as 8 or so dekes. I don't hunt any one spot but rather drive a circuit of many miles so as to not over pressure any area but trim excess where there is over abundance. Camo is a must. Especially the face. Crows have a language and the cadence will tell you what's on their mind. The standard start out calls I use are one of two. Caw caw caw caw is a simple who's out there and where you at? CAW.....CAW........caw caw caw caw is a come to me type. One very important thing. That first one coming in when it's a flock. The one making all the racket. Kill it or hide and keep calling but, if you shoot at it and miss or spook it off, it will take the others with it and fly off a couple hundred yards and warn others away.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        Yep, you got me, I crow hunt. Was hunting them this weekend (60's). Despite the occasional recipes in magazines I don't eat them. Pull the hide off the breast and take a whiff. I use mouth and electronic as well as 8 or so dekes. I don't hunt any one spot but rather drive a circuit of many miles so as to not over pressure any area but trim excess where there is over abundance. Camo is a must. Especially the face. Crows have a language and the cadence will tell you what's on their mind. The standard start out calls I use are one of two. Caw caw caw caw is a simple who's out there and where you at? CAW.....CAW........caw caw caw caw is a come to me type. One very important thing. That first one coming in when it's a flock. The one making all the racket. Kill it or hide and keep calling but, if you shoot at it and miss or spook it off, it will take the others with it and fly off a couple hundred yards and warn others away.
        Dewman, in as much as it has been several years since I have tried to outwit these devils, and your information is more revelent than mine, I hope I have not given too much incorrect info to Matt. But, if so maybe you can correct it for me. Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Dewman, in as much as it has been several years since I have tried to outwit these devils, and your information is more revelent than mine, I hope I have not given too much incorrect info to Matt. But, if so maybe you can correct it for me. Thanks !
          All your advice is just fine. Trying to imitate a bunch of excited crows with only a mouth call works, IF, you have good lungs and don't wear yourself out. Trying to shoot moving targets when you're gasping for air and seeing spots is out of my realm of ability. Also remember they are keying in to the noise and if all the moving and sound is coming from you then you need to stop and try to shoot when they first come in or they'll spot you. It's why I like using a few dekes, gives them something to focus on. It's a lot like duck hunting.
          Last edited by dewman; 02-05-2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Good tips both, thanks fellas. I think I will order an owl decoy, and I did find my old crow call, which I bought in the early 90s as a turkey locator call. We surely have no shortage of crows around here: All the towns and villages are down in valleys, and in cold weather the crows fly in from the hills, for miles around, to roost in the trees along the streets -- I assume because it's a few degrees warmer in town, and/or because there's always a ready food supply, at least on garbage pickup days. It's been a problem for a few years now. Thousands upon thousands of crows, right above the sidewalks all night long. Anyway, they fly in right along the slopes and ridgelines above the valleys -- a lot of that land is state land, and our own land is actually right along one of their routes, too. From November to March, anytime I'm up there near dusk, they're flying over pretty much constantly. Should be fun.

Comment

Get a few for me too Matt, just to make up for the ones that outfoxed me in my younger years ! It is not good for the ego to be dumber than a crow !

Comment

Get a few for me too Matt, just to make up for the ones that outfoxed me in my younger years ! It is not good for the ego to be dumber than a crow !
                Take heart, Richard: I do remember reading that crows are one of the most intelligent birds.

Comment

I bought a .22mag Marlin when I lived in NY to hunt Turkey and Crows and then they passed a rule no rifles for Turkeys so I did not hunt either. In Ohio where I fly R/C Airplanes our runway is 450' X 125' and one morning I arrived and there was solid black all over the runway - I bet there were 5,000 birds. Must have been a convention. A friend here hunts them with a .22mag and I guess he does pretty good. I think he uses a silhouette cut out for a decoy. In Ohio season is June to March - closed March through May.. Friday, Saturday and Sunday only, no limit.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    I bought a .22mag Marlin when I lived in NY to hunt Turkey and Crows and then they passed a rule no rifles for Turkeys so I did not hunt either. In Ohio where I fly R/C Airplanes our runway is 450' X 125' and one morning I arrived and there was solid black all over the runway - I bet there were 5,000 birds. Must have been a convention. A friend here hunts them with a .22mag and I guess he does pretty good. I think he uses a silhouette cut out for a decoy. In Ohio season is June to March - closed March through May.. Friday, Saturday and Sunday only, no limit.
                    Can you imagine there being a season on crows ? I heard that is because of some treaty with Mexico involving migratory bird regulations, is this true ? I really can not see a good reason for this.

Comment

Can you imagine there being a season on crows ? I heard that is because of some treaty with Mexico involving migratory bird regulations, is this true ? I really can not see a good reason for this.
                      Missouri crow season runs from the first Monday in November to March 3rd. No limit.

Comment

I've heard the same thing, Richard. One guy even told me it was because the crow is Mexico's national bird, though I'm pretty sure their national bird is the Golden Eagle. So I think that part of it is nonsense, though Mexico might have still brought some kind of "We Love Crows" sentiment to the table when they were hashing out the regulations. I've heard of some pretty big rookeries in Mexico; maybe they're some kind of national attraction or religious heritage site?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Record Baseball Contract
                          99explorer
                          Infielder Manny Machado just signed a ten-year $300 million contract with the San Diego Padres.
                          I don't know how much he would have left after taxes,...
                          Today, 02:16 PM
                        • Fatalities Outdoors
                          MattM37
                          So far this season, snowmobiling and ice-fishing each have resulted in more fatalities in New York State than hunting did during the previous deer and...
                          02-14-2019, 07:58 PM
                        • Do boycotts work?
                          99explorer
                          Dicks' Sporting Goods decision in 2018 to ban the sales of AR-15-style rifles helped contribute to a 4.5% decline in sales in its hunting business....
                          02-11-2019, 05:15 PM
                        • New spring football league.
                          99explorer
                          What are your thoughts on the formation of this new professional football league that plays in the spring of the year?
                          It is called the Alliance...
                          02-10-2019, 02:33 PM
                        • Gun Review - Ruger American Rimfire Compact
                          PigHunter
                          Yesterday, I finally made time to go to the range to sight in my new Ruger American Rimfire Compact in .22lr with the Dead Air 'Mask' suppressor. I've...
                          02-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X