No announcement yet.

In your neck of the woods...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once finished off a buck that was dragging one front hoof because the bones had been shattered by a rifle bullet.
    There was no dispute because (1) the original shooter never showed up, and (2) the deer had entered onto my land.

Comment

I have heard plenty of stories about guys shooting at someone else's dog that picks up their dropped bird. Can you believe it? Why would anyone want a goose or duck that badly? "Sorry buddy, your dog picked it up so it goes in YOUR daily bag limit. One more bird I get to shoot today. Yay!" I remember having a dispute with another hunter because he didn't want to take the lung shot goose that drifted down behind me and Pearl picked up.

Last elk I killed was a raghorn bull four twits from Pennsylvania had wounded. They refused to track it down after dark so I finished the job. I had also hit it in the penis which was actually killing it quicker than their ham shot. I would never have shot at it except I saw they had butt shot it. It was too far for my 30-06 but I still managed to hit him just as he made it to the trees. They claimed it which was fine with me but I would not let the animal suffer through the night. Eventually I had to shoot or be killed. That bull almost got me.

Comment

That question popped up a lot back when we used to do a lot of deer drives with dogs. It was generally accepted that the last person to shoot the deer was the owner.

Once upon a time, I heard a hunter near me shoot, then saw the buck shortly thereafter come staggering through a thicket, obviously on its last legs, so I shot it just to put it down. The other hunter showed up very quickly, almost in tears because this was the best buck he had ever shot and now it was mine. I was quick to assure him that I was making no claim at all on his deer and that I had only shot to shorten the suffering. The other stander was most appreciative, even though he was willing to let me claim the deer if I'd been so inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
          I have heard plenty of stories about guys shooting at someone else's dog that picks up their dropped bird. Can you believe it? Why would anyone want a goose or duck that badly? "Sorry buddy, your dog picked it up so it goes in YOUR daily bag limit. One more bird I get to shoot today. Yay!" I remember having a dispute with another hunter because he didn't want to take the lung shot goose that drifted down behind me and Pearl picked up.

Last elk I killed was a raghorn bull four twits from Pennsylvania had wounded. They refused to track it down after dark so I finished the job. I had also hit it in the penis which was actually killing it quicker than their ham shot. I would never have shot at it except I saw they had butt shot it. It was too far for my 30-06 but I still managed to hit him just as he made it to the trees. They claimed it which was fine with me but I would not let the animal suffer through the night. Eventually I had to shoot or be killed. That bull almost got me.
          Can’t say I blame the bull Honker ! Shoot me in the penis and I would make a strong attempt to get you too !!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget