Knives to use for complete field processing animals in survival situations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knives to use for complete field processing animals in survival situations

If you had to carry a minimum number of knives to completely process on the spot all small and large game, and birds/waterfowl in any of the 50 states in a wilderness survival situation, how many would that be and what make/models would you choose?
    Factor in any type of weather too, and that you are living out of your backpack. Durability, low maintenance and ability of a given knife to be used for several processing operations can be some of the important factors among others.

Case XX two blade trapper. Birds to elk.

Comment

That would be such a compromise I doubt a single knife would do any task very well.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
        Case XX two blade trapper. Birds to elk.
        I have the Case 'Changer' but do not consider it one knife for this exercise.

Comment

I have & use two CASE XX knives 1-A belt 9" 1940 CASE wt Real stage grips & 2-A CASE XX Single Lock Blade Folder 1956 with real stag grips. FYI: A $200.00 Knife don't cut any better then a $40.00 Blade.

Comment

Two blade Case "Stockman".

Comment

This is an easy one for me. Two knives

> Morakniv Companion in stainless steel for the majority of the tasks

> For detail work and fish, Rapala 6-inch fillet made by Marttinni of Finland

You can get both for a total of about $40 from Amazon. They are very light and easy to sharpen.
              Attached Files

Comment

I agree with PigHunter; for meat processing the Mora and Rapala Filet are great choices, and knives I use myself frequently. Some big-game hunters might want something heavier, but if you're boning out meat in the field ... well, you're boning it out, and a blade's edge and flexibility are more important than sturdiness.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget