Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you butcher or take game to a processor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    I take deer to the processor. Been using the same one for over 20 years. That saves me a lot of time and he has a large cooler for hanging the carcass to age.

However, he no longer takes feral pigs so I process those myself. Most of the time I just take the back straps and hams, leaving the rest of the animals for coyotes to finish.

My motivations for hunting are mainly for the experience. The meat is always a secondary issue and I give most of the venison away. But PigHuntress has venison stew packed in my lunch box for today. She's a great cook!

EDIT- The stew is very tasty!
    Stew was the first thing the wife made with this year's deer. Good stuff.

Comment

The last time i butched my deer was in 1983 Moved to Fl, (1984) and processing is the only way to go in HOT Florida bean using the same Guy/place for 20years Almost all 25 Club members use him also.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
        It depends.
        My first one ever I dropped off. The second I had help cutting up.
        After that it used to be warm weather and how busy I am at work were the two biggest factors. I bought a small fridge that'll hold one deer to age a few days in warm weather. The last deer I dropped off at a buddies who processes it was because the weather was warm and that fridge already had a doe in it that was waiting (if I remember properly) for me to get to it from the week before, and work was piling up. I happened to be out with him when I took it and it was an easy decision to let it go home with him for processing.
        A doe a few years before that I had processed because while I was out of town to take it, things got complicated on another level and it was just simpler to drop the deer off and take care of other things.
        I enjoy processing my own, but if fitting it in is going to cause some other disruption, I have no problem with paying for someone to do it either.
        Also, those two deer, one due to location, and the other due to the 'on the side' nature of the processor ran about $100 for basic cuts and a little more for some extras, plus were big enough to make it worth it. My old place the local processors would start in the area of $200.
        Guy in town charges $100, whatever you want done.
        Another processor, if you unloaded your deer it was $50! I was at the counter when another hunter was checking out.
        $50.00 deposit
        $75.00 cut, wrap, sausage, jerky
        $125.00 total and it all fit in two brown grocery sacks about two thirds full!
        I'm just too much of a tightwad! LOL!
        As it is, I CAN make sausage, both breakfast and smoked links. I can make summer sausage. I can cut roasts, steaks or just grind up the whole bloody thing.
        My breakfast sausage and link sausage are awesome. No brag, just fact! LOL!
        Why pay good money?
        When I get through, I have what I want, how I want it and don't have to worry if it's "MY" deer!
        OFS? Maybe so!

Comment

We do our own . I use to de bone then take the meat to a person to grind and make Summer sausage and Snack sticks. It was cheaper than doing it ourselves. Then he decided to ad a process fee for the work already done. I saved $$ and now do the hole thing. We now know fore sure this product from shot fired to the plate was handled with care.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
            We do our own . I use to de bone then take the meat to a person to grind and make Summer sausage and Snack sticks. It was cheaper than doing it ourselves. Then he decided to ad a process fee for the work already done. I saved $$ and now do the hole thing. We now know fore sure this product from shot fired to the plate was handled with care.
            Amen on knowing how and who handled your deer!
            Another big AMEN on knowing the end product will be acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
              A guy I hunt with does his own and usually gets several a year. His wife is allergic to beef. Ever hear of that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                The last time i butched my deer was in 1983 Moved to Fl, (1984) and processing is the only way to go in HOT Florida bean using the same Guy/place for 20years Almost all 25 Club members use him also.
                How many deer come off the lease each year ?

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                  From Bow season to the end of Gen.Gun with 1 week of Doe season, 1 week of Blk.Power season. 36+ most are doe's with 15-18 Hogs.

Comment

A little of column A and a little of Column B.

This year I paid to have my deer processed. Other years I have done it myself.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget