Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever hunted an exotic or "unconventional" species?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever hunted an exotic or "unconventional" species?

I was watching Steven Rinella's "Meateater" episode about the sooty grouse in Alaska. Interesting way of hunting, and some really weird birds.

No ! I have always been pretty content to exist on the “usual” big game such as deer, elk and occasionally moose.

Comment

The only exotic species I've ever killed was the Eurasian Collared Dove.
      Pink elephants and giant spiders probably don't count?

Comment

I once shot a large Corsican ram that found its way onto my property in Texas.

Comment

No. One of the oddest I'd heard locally was an archer shooting an emu years back in PA.

I don't have a problem with that... but I can't say I'd do it either.

The only 'by-catch' I have when hunting is legally taken squirrels, small predators and vermin on occasion, and then only if I'm near enough my own place that there's a point in it. If another legal big-game opportunity game strolling by I'd almost certainly take it if I could, but there's not much other than deer and black bear in my part of the world, and bear are rare in my immediate vicinity., and I've never gone after bear.

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
            The only exotic species I've ever killed was the Eurasian Collared Dove.
            Pink elephants and giant spiders probably don't count?
            How do you kill those pink elephants, anyway? I've tried and tried and they just keep coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              No ! I have always been pretty content to exist on the “usual” big game such as deer, elk and occasionally moose.
              The sooty grouse is one of the "usuals" there in Southeast Alaska. I don't think I phrased the question very well. Heck, an elk is exotic to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                Matt, I was a fanatical whitetail hunter with a bow, but once I was introduced to bowhunting elk, I was ruined for whitetails. It became the most exciting thing in my life and only age has tempered me to some form of sanity about it ! I would love to die in the dark timber with the sound of a elk bugle in my ears.

Comment

I may or may not have gone cow hunting once...

Comment

On Long Island while Rabbet Hunting ,I lifted a Hungarin Partridge a bigger bird then our Ruffys by 1/4lb it eat well, good white meat!

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                      On Long Island while Rabbet Hunting ,I lifted a Hungarin Partridge a bigger bird then our Ruffys by 1/4lb it eat well, good white meat!
                      I have heard rumors of those appearing even up here in New York. They really get around.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                        red Angus, are you aware that on one of the Hawaiian islands there are feral cattle?
                        From what I read, they are very foul tempered and a heavy rifle, i.e. .375 H&H or bigger, is suggested because they quite often charge.
                        Feral cow hunting on a tropical isle? What an adventure!

Comment

Did you use a decoy?

Comment

I am aware of Hawaii's feral cattle, but if I ever travel across a large body of water to hunt bovine Hawaii won't be my destination.

To my knowledge wheat is not categorized as a decoy.

Comment

And I did manage to refrain from barbacueing one, but after a couple weeks of chasing them back across the creek to where they belong on a daily basis and informing the owner, a person really starts to wonder if one or two would be missed...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget