How much light do you carry ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much light do you carry ?

Manufacturers have gone crazy with the output from the LED's. How much do you think is sufficient ? 200, 400, 800 lumens ? I remember the old GI angle head you had to keep slapping to keep it going. Could not see your foot if you had to. One ad on here is for one that has three colors built in. Some coyote hunters use the red while calling then, when one appears, quickly switches to white for the shot.

I picked one up on the internet that is 800 lumens (kinda like a little nuclear reactor), has high beam, low beam, constant flashing beam and constant SOS beam. 1,000 mah battery and it zooms in and out - $3.95 delivered. Isn't technology great ?

Comment

We bought two CRAZY FIRE Led headlamp Super Bright 800Lm & Zoomable.
      $13.99 What i like it leaves your hands free to pull your Heater or what ever your needs are in the Dark of night!

Comment

I've never found a basic flashlight inadequate. I have the big MagLites, one is LED, one an old incandescent, in my car and camping pack; that's about as high-end as I go. For regular use, going into the woods before sunrise or coming out after dark, or fishing after dark, I have a cheap Energizer brand headlamp, about twelve bucks at Walmart, that's served well for three or four years now. I'm sure I'd get more serious about lights if I hunted predators after dark or did a lot more night-fishing than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          I've never found a basic flashlight inadequate. I have the big MagLites, one is LED, one an old incandescent, in my car and camping pack; that's about as high-end as I go. For regular use, going into the woods before sunrise or coming out after dark, or fishing after dark, I have a cheap Energizer brand headlamp, about twelve bucks at Walmart, that's served well for three or four years now. I'm sure I'd get more serious about lights if I hunted predators after dark or did a lot more night-fishing than I do.
          Yeah, for me now it's pretty much just needing a light on the few hunting days that I actually get under motion while it's still dark. Even for spring turkeys, there's usually some gray in the sky when I head in. As for the canoes, I hear you, having done a lot of canoeing but never after dark. If I was paddling in the dark, I'd surely want something up to the task.

Comment

Lights ,lights, lights, I,ve got all kinds of lights at my disposal and keep them on hand. What I,ve come to use a lot is landscape lights. They are cheap ,and pretty reliable . I leave one at my stand, and at a few places on the trail to keep from getting sidetracked. I also keep them on my boat as backup lights , or just to hang while fishing,.

Comment

My EDC light is a Streamlight protac 2aa, which is adequate for walking, working on equipment and such.
              My big light is a Streamlight protac HL4 which operates on 4 lithium batteries or 2 18650 rechargable batteries. It is rather bright at 2,200 lumens, which is really appreciated when making the rounds at midnight checking cows, although I wouldn't recommend using it inside. Turning it on in an enclosed area is a dazzling experience.
              A set of batteries lasts 1.5 hours on high. I use the 18650 rechargables.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                My EDC light is a Streamlight protac 2aa, which is adequate for walking, working on equipment and such.
                My big light is a Streamlight protac HL4 which operates on 4 lithium batteries or 2 18650 rechargable batteries. It is rather bright at 2,200 lumens, which is really appreciated when making the rounds at midnight checking cows, although I wouldn't recommend using it inside. Turning it on in an enclosed area is a dazzling experience.
                A set of batteries lasts 1.5 hours on high. I use the 18650 rechargables.
                Nice. I carry the same everyday light.

Comment

I also carry a protac 2aa and it's a solid choice. I don't think mine is the latest because I see them new spec is 250 lumens on high and 18 on low. I think mine when purchased was like 120 and 60 or 80, but could be misremembering. I think the new numbers are both better for purpose.
                  It's low is nearly low enough for indoor use while it's high does a decent job reaching out to about 75 yards at night to identify the thing that's looking back at me.
                  As weapons mounted lights go, I'm coming around to 'all the lumens' even indoors with white surface backsplash. I'm running a couple of different streamlight and surefire lights from the 600 to 1500 lumen range depending. With all of them in either training with them or nighttime vermin work I've found that I could almost always be happy with a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                    I second that energizer headlamps have gotten plenty good for most use.

Comment

We are in the golden era of lighting, IMO. High tech LEDS are a small fraction of the price they were just a few years ago. No excuse to go w/o good lights these days. I usually carry two LEDs while hunting and my top-line model stays at camp because it's not compact and is really for extreme uses (has gold-plated battery connections and circuit board) and can be run over by a truck and still work with 810 lumens, which when I bought it was considered pretty high. It cost $200 plus about 5-6 years ago. Today everything is brighter and cheaper. I don't know of any that come with gold-plated connections anymore.

Comment

seo for small businesses

Comment

400 lumens will do the trick for me!

Comment

I am using a light that has 600 lumens! I love to be prepared for every single occasion. I even have a collection of flashlights. My wife says that I am crazy and I should stop, but I don't think that I am hurting anyone with my passion haha. I even have different lights for my bikes. My latest purchase was a light from https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Recharge.../dp/B078TB9TMK and I can not wait to test it out! This weekend I have spoken with a couple of friends and we want to go on an adventure with our bikes. I am so grateful for having an amazing community! We are having so much fun together and it's amazing to see so many people enjoying life together!
                            Last edited by JessicaMarshall; 03-07-2021, 04:33 AM.

Comment

The new battery technology will first appear in Volvo EV in 6 years. . 600mile range then 10 or 15 min recharge time. I expect in time this technology will appear in all hand held devices. Fast recharge, long lasting not explosive. sounds great.
                              Volvo announced it will be all electric in 6 years. All the others are not far behind. I hope our electric grid can handle the charging. I have not heard what the charge amps will be. Even now in the heat of the summer we get roiling blackouts and I am in the middle of two nuclear and a few coal/gas fired plants.
                              Last edited by jhjimbo; 03-07-2021, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget