Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axes and Axes

Got my axes touched up.

The one on the left is called 'Chopper' and had two dogs that cam out and hold wood apart. Have not used one but hopt to this weekend. The one with the canvas bag is U.S. Army issue. I keep a couple at camp and others at home
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking cutting tools!

Comment

I don't recognize the gadgets built into the axe in photo #2.
        What purpose do they serve?

Comment

Jimbo, it looks like you have a nice assortment. That's the first time I've heard of the Chopper so I went to their web site.

The Chopper explained

Comment

The military axe you speak of is still standard issue. You get one when you check a vehicle out. It comes as a kit. Shovel short handled. Axe and a pick axe. It's called a pioneer kit. Well it was when I was in. I still have one of the shovels. Don't ask!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Jimbo, it looks like you have a nice assortment. That's the first time I've heard of the Chopper so I went to their web site.

The Chopper explained
              Thanks for the info. I have heard of people saying some good things about the Chopper so I will see. I have some oak at my BIL's and some elm at my camp to split. For Elm I usually wait till it's frozen. At the Club the Ash trees got the disease and we have had to take down about 100 or so. I have a camper there and the wood is left for our use. It is like 5 lifetimes of wood supply by my camper. there were 4 ash trees over 75 years old behind my place that we cut down.
              He who cuts his own wood gets warmed twice. At our cabin in the Adirondacks we would go through about 8-10 chords, and about a chord for the snowmobile garage. The garage has a overhead door at each end - drive the sled in one door and out the other after a warm up and a little liquid libation by the fire. I like oak and beech best for burning.

Comment

I've used one of the "chopper" style splitting mauls but not in a long time, even before I burned for heat. That being said, my technique and muscle memory didn't have anything like the repetition behind swinging a maul or axe that I have today.
                At the time, I thought the things were a lot of extra effort and more prone to just bouncing if you didn't hit exactly right, but again, I wasn't nearly as dialed in on striking true at the time. I'm curious as to how you like it when you try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

The Chopper explained
                  I hate splitting elm.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                    I don't recognize the gadgets built into the axe in photo #2.
                    What purpose do they serve?
                    That's a Fire Log Splitter, Some have add-ons other are built in.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget