Turkey harvest ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey harvest ?

Once the bird is on the ground done flopping. How do you process the bird? I will give our method later. I like dark meat.

Turkey I lhave got the meat is not white or not dark, it is all about the same color.

Comment

I finally figured out how to remove an entire breast.
      Legs, thighs and breast go into one of those big throw away roasters with two quarts of low sodium broth, a quartered up onion, some garlic and a good coating of black pepper.
      Then it gets covered with 4 to 6 layers of foil, sealed well around the edges.
      Put it in a 400° oven for one hour.
      Reduce heat to 250° and leave it for 3 to 5 hours.
      In the meantime, make (mushroom) dressing.

Comment

I skin the whole bird. Then I'll remove the breast meat for the smoker. The thigh, leg, wing, neck, bones and organs, I give to my future Mother-In-Law to make soup. I'll occasionally save the legs and thighs for the smoker.

Comment

Open up the chest and get the breasts out. I’ll usually try to get the legs off too. One time I plucked it and cooked like a thanksgiving turkey and was less than impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            I finally figured out how to remove an entire breast.
            Legs, thighs and breast go into one of those big throw away roasters with two quarts of low sodium broth, a quartered up onion, some garlic and a good coating of black pepper.
            Then it gets covered with 4 to 6 layers of foil, sealed well around the edges.
            Put it in a 400° oven for one hour.
            Reduce heat to 250° and leave it for 3 to 5 hours.
            In the meantime, make (mushroom) dressing.
            You gonna hafta wait 'til next year ph!
            I struck out this year!

Comment

Forgot to add this photo!
              Attached Files

Comment

I usually skin them, then section them just like a roasting chicken from the grocery store. I've cooked them whole with the skin on before, but I'd rather make separate packages of the breasts, thighs, and drumsticks. Then I can eat some immediately and also have some in the freezer for later, plus I'd just rather not roast them. The breasts, I usually slice into pan-frying fillets. The thighs, I like to keep whole, brown them, and then braise until they're up to temp. The drumsticks always go into the slow-cooker, then I strip the meat off the bones and tendons and use it for soup or mash it up with some mayo for sandwiches. Heart and gizzard get simmered in salted water with a couple cloves of smashed garlic, usually as soon as I get home the day I shoot it.

Comment

We dry pluck the bird. My mom would be very upset if we wasted any part of the bird. Last year was the first of many that a wild bird wasn't on the table for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I used a Burdon and Apple brine on a Wal-Mart special and it was the talk of the dinner. Will apply the same for the wild ones this year. Liver, gizzard and heart go into the gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    Forgot to add this photo!
                    Looks good.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget