April shooting project. From bench to field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April shooting project. From bench to field

Put a nikon 4x12 rimfire BDC150 on my cz 17hm2. After I sight in at 50 yds I will use the nikon spot on ap to set my moveable target to distances correlating to the circles. Using a rangefinder to tweak target distance than practice with my flip up to verify. Theoretically using my rangefinder I should be squirrel capable to 150 yds. More than a little skeptical because I'm me but I have 1500+ rds.to try. The 2x7 nikon that was on it I put on my Rem 511x and put its 4x Leupold on the shelf. Any words of advice or caution always welcome.
    Attached Files

Looks good! I've always wanted to take out a squirrel at long range, but every time I go out squirrel hunting with my .22, the woods are dead. I've gotten a couple with my shotgun while grouse or duck hunting, and shot one with a pellet gun in the backyard, but nothing while actually squirrel hunting. Anyway, good luck with the new setup, I'm sure it'll do fine!

Comment

Now that is an interesting project and I'm curious to watch how it progresses.

I'm in the market for a .22lr with threaded barrel to use with my suppressor. And of course I'll need to put a scope on it. Nikon BDC scopes are on several of my rifles - no complaints! I noticed that the rimfire series has 1/4 inch adjustments at 50 yards instead of 1/4 inch at 100 yards (so technically it's actually 1/2 inch adjustments at 100 yards).

By the way, the parallax setting on that scope is fixed at 75 yards. Let us know if that significantly affects impact at 150 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I'm in the market for a .22lr with threaded barrel to use with my suppressor. And of course I'll need to put a scope on it. Nikon BDC scopes are on several of my rifles - no complaints! I noticed that the rimfire series has 1/4 inch adjustments at 50 yards instead of 1/4 inch at 100 yards (so technically it's actually 1/2 inch adjustments at 100 yards).

By the way, the parallax setting on that scope is fixed at 75 yards. Let us know if that significantly affects impact at 150 yards.
        Only opinion I'm firmly coming to believe is at 150yds+ or so these 17 caliber bullets get bounced pretty good by the wind. I feel that the lowly 22lr might be a better long range option, even with the arcing trajectory. Maybe, nothing in stone.

Comment

With a 50yd zero what is your horizontal trajectory drop at 150yds? How will you calculate trajectory when your angle is raised 25 to 30deg ? Or are you going to shoot them on the ground? What is remaining velocity at 150yds.?

Comment

Did you see my experiment with my .17WSM 20gr.? 15 to 20 mph wind at 230 to 240deg on 300yd range and bullet was about 12" from aim point.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              With a 50yd zero what is your horizontal trajectory drop at 150yds? How will you calculate trajectory when your angle is raised 25 to 30deg ? Or are you going to shoot them on the ground? What is remaining velocity at 150yds.?
              Good questions.
              1. 100' drop should be irrelevant as I plan to set the circles to their respective zeros which the spot shows in my graph as 94' then using a rangefinder will tell me where to position crosshairs.
              2. Ground only , yes. Taking a upward shooting angle, I believe would be irresponsible and potentially dangerous. I'm not going to deliberately target squirrels at longer distance without trying to get closer. Just how I am.
              3. Pretty close to 1310 fps at 150 yds averaging 1531(100yds)and 1134(200yds) taking 1/10th off to allow for deceleration.

Comment

Yes I did. Your initial speed and 3 gr extra weight are head and shoulders above what I have to work with. So far, even off a bench, 200yds is asking for too much from the 17hm2 as far as reliably putting them on target. Still trying to sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by SSSoutdoorsman View Post
                  Looks good! I've always wanted to take out a squirrel at long range, but every time I go out squirrel hunting with my .22, the woods are dead. I've gotten a couple with my shotgun while grouse or duck hunting, and shot one with a pellet gun in the backyard, but nothing while actually squirrel hunting. Anyway, good luck with the new setup, I'm sure it'll do fine!
                  As usual, biggest obstacle is person behind the trigger.

Comment

The .17WSM just announced a 3300fps load. I shoot from my picnic table across a 50 acre field about 136yds to tree line one way and about 250yds the other way so the WSM fits my need well.

P.S. you never answered how much a pound of powder is in your area ? That plant must ship powder all over the world.

My next varmint gun is going to be a Ruger mini-30, only because I have cases of ammo for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SSSoutdoorsman View Post
                      Take a stand between hardwoods and cut corn and be real still. I catch them going back and forth - they can't run too fast with a ear of corn in their mouth.
                      For practice I leave the rifle home and use my Browning Challenger. 12 shots, 6 squirrels.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Strangers meet.
                        by 99explorer
                        A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                        They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                        No identification markers...
                        08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                      • OU football
                        by FirstBubba
                        Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                        The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                        08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                      • True romance.
                        by 99explorer
                        A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                        The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                        08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
                      • A question of standing.
                        by 99explorer
                        A man says to his father, "I'm standing behind you."
                        The father replies, "And I am standing behind you, son."
                        Could this...
                        08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
                      • Cashier problem.
                        by 99explorer
                        You are a cashier and owe a customer $41 change from a $50 bill.
                        You have every denomination of paper currency in the drawer except $1 bills, and...
                        08-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X