Turkey Decoys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey Decoys!

This past weekend I watched Long beards shy away from my hen decoy. A hen came to the decoy and stayed in the area for 10 to 15 min. She was vocal around the decoy but wasn't alarmed. The decoy was a Wal-Mart special have had jakes come to it but the Mature toms seemed to avoid them. Time for a new decoy. Any suggestions?

Rockhound, you are in luck! OL posted an article in February on testing several decoys for realistic looks, ease of use, etc. However, they didn't test them on real birds!

Please let us know what you ultimately decide upon and how well it works for you.

Comment

Here's another blog where a hunter reports the response of live birds to his use of decoys

Comment

rockhound, from my experience, which isn't extensive, I've had mixed results with turkey "dekes".
        I've had hot toms come in gobbling and strutting, see a deje and depart for parts unknown.
        I've had jakes "run" a half mile across a wheat field and attack a single hen deke
        I paid one cool Benjamin for a "Pretty Boy/Pretty Girl" deke set! They have been relegated to the storage shed. Never pulled in a single bird!
        I set up a single faded, bedraggled hen deke. A tom crossed an open field to a sandy spot and dusted for an hour before approaching my deke.

Turkeys are either finicky or indiscriminate!
        I'm not sure deke quality makes a dimes worth of difference.
        It's more about how old Tom feels as to how he will react to a deke or call.
        I called a tom across a thirty foot deep, hundred foot wide gully with a creek in the bottom and a fence along one side. He flew to the bottom of the gully, hopped across the creek, climbed up the other side and crossed under the fence just out of range.
        The next day in another pasture, I had a tom hang up on a dry, knee deep gully! ...and of course, just out of range!
        Just hang in there!

Comment

I like the Avianx turkey decoys. I received the 3/4 strut jake and laydown hen last year for my birthday. It worked so well that I bought a bunch of hens when Gander was going out of business at half price. So far 8 gobblers and 4 Jakes have come into shooting range while using them. About half of that was on private and the other half on public. 4 of the birds ended up getting shot and 2 other hunts resulted in a swing and a miss. I'd still say about 1/3 of the time turkeys will get spooked at seeing them, but the majority of the time they haven't.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by neuman23 View Post
            I like the Avianx turkey decoys. I received the 3/4 strut jake and laydown hen last year for my birthday. It worked so well that I bought a bunch of hens when Gander was going out of business at half price. So far 8 gobblers and 4 Jakes have come into shooting range while using them. About half of that was on private and the other half on public. 4 of the birds ended up getting shot and 2 other hunts resulted in a swing and a miss. I'd still say about 1/3 of the time turkeys will get spooked at seeing them, but the majority of the time they haven't.
            Nice!

Comment

N23, Beautiful photos. Congratulations on those nice Toms. ?2???
              What kind of camera or cell phone was that? ??

Comment

Samsung S7. I've got a Canon T6 Rebel that I use for wildlife pictures, but rarely lug it into the field while hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X