Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What ar your thoughts, Pighunter, regarding John Snow’s Hunting Blog, ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treestand
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    Good Wild Pork is 200lb & under!!
    I've seen Wild Hogs hit with a 165gr 30/06 good shot placement run off and not be found in deep swamps!! (jmo a 12ga Brenneke slug stops them in there tracks every time. No lie GI.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    ..and the legend of our Yankee brothers saving their poor, southern Rebel counterparts from "swine overload" for nothing runs rampant and unabated!
    LOL!
    Any ranch has to turn a profit to stay in business! With a cattle market and grain market that can be fickle at best, if there is 2 cents profit in tumble weeds, goat heads or bull nettle kernels, you can bet your sweet bippy you'll find them on a store shelf somewhere!

In Oklahoma and Texas, several farmers allowed anybody who wanted to hunt pigs to come and hunt them.
    Cut fences, destroyed crops, rutted wheat fields, injured livestock and general disarray and mayhem soon followed.

Then there is the "liability" issues that arise!
    Who would have thought that Joe Dummy would think he could pet an 1800 pound bull? By the way! The bull WAS NOT impressed!
    Then there is that 300 acre bald open field with that 6 strand barbed wire fence running across the middle of it!
    Gee, a 4 wheeler doing 35 MPH in the dark won't penetrate THAT!

Now Joe Dummy got himself all dead, his relatives decide to sue and another family farm bites the dust!

We have enough redneck "saviors" down here without another Yankee invasion to come save us from ourselves!
    If you have friends or relatives that are willing to accommodate you for free, go for it! If not, be willing to pay for the experience so we can at least try to repair the damage when you leave and afford liability insurance for your next visit.
    YOU aren't that kind of Hunter?
    Great!
    What about the next camo'd up, tat covered, bewhiskered, ear ring wearing rube that steps up to darken my front door and offers to take care of some of those wild hogs? ...for FREE!

I'd rather have the hogs!

NOTE:
    1) All the above meant with humor!
    2) Pig hunting isn't a cut and dried affair.
    A) Once shot up, a herd will either relocate or go nocturnal.
    B) Baiting for hogs isn't like baiting for true game species. With feral hogs, it's all fair!
    C) A .30-30 Win or that class cartridge is sufficient for ferals.
    D) A sow will breed and reproduce at 6 months of age. Kill young sows! They eat better and you have reduced future numbers.
    E) For being nervous, a whitetail can't hold a candle to feral hogs.

Have fun!
    Pigs ARE a challenge! LOL!
    The "pig war" was lost long ago, jimbo and there ain't much chance of a "Hail Mary" buzzer beater! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    ..and the legend of our Yankee brothers saving their poor, southern Rebel counterparts from "swine overload" for nothing runs rampant and unabated!
    LOL!
    Any ranch has to turn a profit to stay in business! With a cattle market and grain market that can be fickle at best, if there is 2 cents profit in tumble weeds, goat heads or bull nettle kernels, you can bet your sweet bippy you'll find them on a store shelf somewhere!

In Oklahoma and Texas, several farmers allowed anybody who wanted to hunt pigs to come and hunt them.
    Cut fences, destroyed crops, rutted wheat fields, injured livestock and general disarray and mayhem soon followed.

Who would have thought that Joe Dummy would think he could pet an 1800 pound bull? By the way! The bull WAS NOT impressed!
    Then there is that 300 acre bald open field with that 6 strand barbed wire fence running across the middle of it!

Now Joe Dummy got himself all dead, his relatives decide to sue and another family farm bites the dust!

We have enough redneck "saviors" down here without another Yankee invasion to come save us from ourselves!
    If you have friends or relatives that are willing to accommodate you for free, go for it! If not, be willing to pay for the experience so we can at least try to repair the damage when you leave and afford liability insurance for your next visit.
    Great!
    What about the next camo'd up, tat covered, bewhiskered, ear ring wearing rube that steps up to darken my front door and offers to take care of some of those wild hogs? ...for FREE!

NOTE:
    B) Baiting for hogs isn't like baiting for true game species. With feral hogs, it's all fair!
    D) A sow will breed and reproduce at 6 months of age. Kill young sows! They eat better and you have reduced future numbers.

Have fun!
    From what I read some areas are losing the war on pigs. On my place I am starting to see tracks around my salt licks. A few balck bear as well.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/rifles/45-70-govvs-450-marlin

The .450Marlin by Hornady Leverevolution is 325gr, 3" high at 100yds is dead on at 200yds. About $32/box 20
    For pigs? I've used the 325 grain FTX from a .45/70 on pigs with excellent results. There's no need for the extra velocity of the 450 Marlin.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/rifles/45-70-govvs-450-marlin

The .450Marlin by Hornady Leverevolution is 325gr, 3" high at 100yds is dead on at 200yds. About $32/box 20

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by rockhound View Post
    I was invited by my commander to go for a Hog hunt in SC. I was the driver and the suppler of the ride down. First morning 185 yrd behind the ear dropped a 285 pound boar. Remington 76 30/06 180 grain core-lokt. The rest of the hunt was spent was looking over barren grounds. The meat wasn't useable. Said boar in season.
    Country Road has hunted more than I have using buckshot. That was the tradition in Alabama when using dogs or people to dive deer into a line of hunters. The WMA's I frequent require slugs and prohibit the use of buckshot.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
    Pig hunter, Sitatunga are not well known by many who go to Africa. There are four sub species all found in adventuresome places, swamps or swamp edges most common, they are among my most favorite animals.
    I'll give the Sitatunga a closer look.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I was invited by my commander to go for a Hog hunt in SC. I was the driver and the suppler of the ride down. First morning 185 yrd behind the ear dropped a 285 pound boar. Remington 76 30/06 180 grain core-lokt. The rest of the hunt was spent was looking over barren grounds. The meat wasn't useable. Said boar in season.
    I guess I should add ‘‘twas a 12 gauge.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    I shot a big boar broadside at 25 yards with one round of OO buckshot, it ran maybe 30 yards and fell dead. I did not choose the firearm or ammo, it was what was handed to me

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Pig hunter, Sitatunga are not well known by many who go to Africa. There are four sub species all found in adventuresome places, swamps or swamp edges most common, they are among my most favorite animals.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    LOL!

Great!

NOTE:

Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Jimbo, sorta makes you pause doesn't it? I've never used buckshot on an animal. I have killed pigs with a .22 magnum but they were not charging me at the time!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    PH I have told this story before from hunting in Turkey. Guys with shotguns were stationed in the brush. One guy had a pig run right toward him and he hit it with one or maybe two shots with buckshot. The pig ran right over him and ripped his calf open on the way by.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    Happy Miles, thanks for pointing me towards Mr. Snow's article. It's great to see OL post hunting stories such as this, showing the good and not so good along with lessons learned. I think Mr. Snow did a fine job in the limited space he had.

As far as pay hunts, pigs are truly a cheap date, depending on many factors of course. I find it interesting that the high fence operation was set up to include feral pigs. I went to the Chain Ranch web site and found they have discontinued selling pig hunts. However, they provide 5 day whitetail hunts for $4000 to $6000. In contrast, If meals were included with the housing, then $200 per person daily doesn't seem out of line. Likewise, $100 per animal doesn't seem excessive if that includes a guide processing the animal for meat transport. That would also cover the baiting costs... A few years ago I went on a pay hunt for a large pig in Central Florida. Dogs caught the prey and I used a spear to dispatch the boar. That was $250 + tip to the guide and I considered it worth the money. PigHuntress and I had a great time and we got a cooler full of pork!

I'm like Mr. Snow's group and prefer to hunt and stalk instead of sitting in a blind. But I understand that a pay ranch wants to somewhat control their clients. That's one of the main reasons I continue to hunt on public land in my late 50's.

Their experience hunting private land provided an interesting lesson in bartering hunts with someone in another State. It's fun too if you're a social creature! Like Snow, I've shot a small piglet just for the purposes of eradication. Definitely not trophy or bragging material! Also, Like Treestand, I'm not interested in eating pigs that are larger than 200 lbs. The best I've tasted have been less than 100 lbs - and they are easier to drag / process.

As far as public land, it can indeed be a hard hunt without the suriety of success you'll find with a pay hunt. Pigs of course are very smart and have that incredible sense of smell. Also, they can have a pretty wide range and vacate an area if too pressured. I guess pressure causes them to go nocturnal, but part of it is because of heat. Pigs do not sweat, so being active at night is probably better for them.

What are your thoughts? I'm sure you have some fine stories of hunting pigs around the world! Best Regards
    The Bush Pig was taken in Zimbabwe along the Limpopo River. My brother was there mainly for leopard but added a few other animals. Apparently, the Bush Pig is primarily nocturnal there and he took it on the last morning of hunting. His next hunt is about a year from now in South Africa and our nephew is going this time around. It was an auction hunt he won at our local chapter of the Safari Club. I'll probably not join them on that trip but may go sometime in the future.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    In a new turkey hunting spot this morning, I noticed the landowners cattle grazing on the far side of the wheat pasture.
    Egads! Not cow but feral swine!
    About 7 or 8 sows of around 150/200 pounds and probably 30 or so piglets.
    A car that slowed on the road put the gun shy pigs in a headlong rush to my location.
    At about 20 yards, I stood up to avoid the stampede. the first sow that turned broadside received a Federal "Third Degree" in the left shoulder.
    No. It didn't anchor her, though I did get a nice cloud of dust, turned the herd and avoided getting trampled to death! LOL!
    I've also forgotten that I had a sidearm. A few years ago, I'd dropped one of a pair of pigs just at last light. It was a thickly wooded area so there were plenty of small trees around. I leaned the Remington 7400 against a tree while taking photos and starting to field dress the pig. As I was cutting on the carcass by headlamp, I heard a large animal approaching in the dark. The semi-auto was out of reach and the unknown animal was almost upon me. So, I decide to stand and just yell "Git outta here!" It was probably the other pig and it promptly ran away. Later, I realized the Ruger LC9 was in my pocket. That pistol is so light and thin it's easy to forget it's there. I don't know if the hollow points would have been enough to drop the other pig. In any case, it was already dark and I had one on the ground to take care of. Besides, I was out of cell phone coverage and didn't want PigHuntress to start worrying. Popping a pig with the 9mm could have led to an all night tracking job, lol!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X