Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What ar your thoughts, Pighunter, regarding John Snow’s Hunting Blog, ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/rifles/45-70-govvs-450-marlin

The .450Marlin by Hornady Leverevolution is 325gr, 3" high at 100yds is dead on at 200yds. About $32/box 20
    For pigs? I've used the 325 grain FTX from a .45/70 on pigs with excellent results. There's no need for the extra velocity of the 450 Marlin.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      ..and the legend of our Yankee brothers saving their poor, southern Rebel counterparts from "swine overload" for nothing runs rampant and unabated!
      LOL!
      Any ranch has to turn a profit to stay in business! With a cattle market and grain market that can be fickle at best, if there is 2 cents profit in tumble weeds, goat heads or bull nettle kernels, you can bet your sweet bippy you'll find them on a store shelf somewhere!

In Oklahoma and Texas, several farmers allowed anybody who wanted to hunt pigs to come and hunt them.
      Cut fences, destroyed crops, rutted wheat fields, injured livestock and general disarray and mayhem soon followed.

Then there is the "liability" issues that arise!
      Who would have thought that Joe Dummy would think he could pet an 1800 pound bull? By the way! The bull WAS NOT impressed!
      Then there is that 300 acre bald open field with that 6 strand barbed wire fence running across the middle of it!
      Gee, a 4 wheeler doing 35 MPH in the dark won't penetrate THAT!

Now Joe Dummy got himself all dead, his relatives decide to sue and another family farm bites the dust!

We have enough redneck "saviors" down here without another Yankee invasion to come save us from ourselves!
      If you have friends or relatives that are willing to accommodate you for free, go for it! If not, be willing to pay for the experience so we can at least try to repair the damage when you leave and afford liability insurance for your next visit.
      YOU aren't that kind of Hunter?
      Great!
      What about the next camo'd up, tat covered, bewhiskered, ear ring wearing rube that steps up to darken my front door and offers to take care of some of those wild hogs? ...for FREE!

I'd rather have the hogs!

NOTE:
      1) All the above meant with humor!
      2) Pig hunting isn't a cut and dried affair.
      A) Once shot up, a herd will either relocate or go nocturnal.
      B) Baiting for hogs isn't like baiting for true game species. With feral hogs, it's all fair!
      C) A .30-30 Win or that class cartridge is sufficient for ferals.
      D) A sow will breed and reproduce at 6 months of age. Kill young sows! They eat better and you have reduced future numbers.
      E) For being nervous, a whitetail can't hold a candle to feral hogs.

Have fun!
      Pigs ARE a challenge! LOL!
      From what I read some areas are losing the war on pigs. On my place I am starting to see tracks around my salt licks. A few balck bear as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        ..and the legend of our Yankee brothers saving their poor, southern Rebel counterparts from "swine overload" for nothing runs rampant and unabated!
        LOL!
        Any ranch has to turn a profit to stay in business! With a cattle market and grain market that can be fickle at best, if there is 2 cents profit in tumble weeds, goat heads or bull nettle kernels, you can bet your sweet bippy you'll find them on a store shelf somewhere!

In Oklahoma and Texas, several farmers allowed anybody who wanted to hunt pigs to come and hunt them.
        Cut fences, destroyed crops, rutted wheat fields, injured livestock and general disarray and mayhem soon followed.

Then there is the "liability" issues that arise!
        Who would have thought that Joe Dummy would think he could pet an 1800 pound bull? By the way! The bull WAS NOT impressed!
        Then there is that 300 acre bald open field with that 6 strand barbed wire fence running across the middle of it!
        Gee, a 4 wheeler doing 35 MPH in the dark won't penetrate THAT!

Now Joe Dummy got himself all dead, his relatives decide to sue and another family farm bites the dust!

We have enough redneck "saviors" down here without another Yankee invasion to come save us from ourselves!
        If you have friends or relatives that are willing to accommodate you for free, go for it! If not, be willing to pay for the experience so we can at least try to repair the damage when you leave and afford liability insurance for your next visit.
        YOU aren't that kind of Hunter?
        Great!
        What about the next camo'd up, tat covered, bewhiskered, ear ring wearing rube that steps up to darken my front door and offers to take care of some of those wild hogs? ...for FREE!

I'd rather have the hogs!

NOTE:
        1) All the above meant with humor!
        2) Pig hunting isn't a cut and dried affair.
        A) Once shot up, a herd will either relocate or go nocturnal.
        B) Baiting for hogs isn't like baiting for true game species. With feral hogs, it's all fair!
        C) A .30-30 Win or that class cartridge is sufficient for ferals.
        D) A sow will breed and reproduce at 6 months of age. Kill young sows! They eat better and you have reduced future numbers.
        E) For being nervous, a whitetail can't hold a candle to feral hogs.

Have fun!
        Pigs ARE a challenge! LOL!
        The "pig war" was lost long ago, jimbo and there ain't much chance of a "Hail Mary" buzzer beater! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          Good Wild Pork is 200lb & under!!
          I've seen Wild Hogs hit with a 165gr 30/06 good shot placement run off and not be found in deep swamps!! (jmo a 12ga Brenneke slug stops them in there tracks every time. No lie GI.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget