Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What extra protection to you give to your outside dogs in these cold conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What extra protection to you give to your outside dogs in these cold conditions?

Weather conditions

Great excuse to turn them into inside dogs.

Comment

My neighbors went to Florida for a week. They are looking for a house to buy down there. Their house dog miniature collie loves the cold air when I walk her. She smells every tree, mailbox stand and fire hydrant we walk pass. She wants to stay outside longer than her walk. I walk her in the morning and evening.
      I think every outside dog should have a dog house with bedding material or the owners should be reported. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
        Great excuse to turn them into inside dogs.
        Lol, I don,t live in a dog house,and dogs don,t live in mine,use too ,no more

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
          My neighbors went to Florida for a week. They are looking for a house to buy down there. Their house dog miniature collie loves the cold air when I walk her. She smells every tree, mailbox stand and fire hydrant we walk pass. She wants to stay outside longer than her walk. I walk her in the morning and evening.
          I think every outside dog should have a dog house with bedding material or the owners should be reported. JMO
          Have you heard about the new breed of dog?
          It's a cross between a pit bull terrier and a collie.
          It bites your leg off, and then goes to get help!

Comment

I am sure we all have our own thoughts as to the reason for having a dog, but if a dog is not part of the family (even a good hunting dog) I see no purpose for it. Dogs need love, good care and as a result of their commitment to man, they should be a regular in the house ! There is no better friend to man than a dog, they deserve the best we can give and do for them. That means a warm house in winter and a nice blanket to snuggle up in. These thoughts are of course only my opinion !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              I am sure we all have our own thoughts as to the reason for having a dog, but if a dog is not part of the family (even a good hunting dog) I see no purpose for it. Dogs need love, good care and as a result of their commitment to man, they should be a regular in the house ! There is no better friend to man than a dog, they deserve the best we can give and do for them. That means a warm house in winter and a nice blanket to snuggle up in. These thoughts are of course only my opinion !
              I agree with you Richard. I will say though, I've seen some packs of coonhounds that are just as happy outside in a kennel with the other dogs as any inside dog, provided they have a way to stay warm/cool etc.

Comment

Ours is an inside dog, but being a hunting dog I've had no issues getting him into cold water while training (his first hunt in cold water will be Tuesday). I've been looking for a good duck hunting vest to give him a little extra warmth since he doesn't have a double coat like a lab, but I'm having trouble finding anything to fit a 30lb dog that isn't bright colors.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                  And I will also agree with you Outlaw when it comes to a pack of dogs. It would not be really possible to have a pack of dogs in the house, but I have lived with 3 dogs and all was well, but then that depends on their training and house manners. And some dogs prefer the outdoors, but for those that don’t, house is where they belong, and again jmo !

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                    Ours is an inside dog, but being a hunting dog I've had no issues getting him into cold water while training (his first hunt in cold water will be Tuesday). I've been looking for a good duck hunting vest to give him a little extra warmth since he doesn't have a double coat like a lab, but I'm having trouble finding anything to fit a 30lb dog that isn't bright colors.
                    For the first time out buy him a kids sweater in a bright color! just saying

Comment

My Lab pass three years ago She loved cold water/weather all so. NO more pets only old good looking lady's ;-))

Comment

I have heard dog lovers say if you donate to the ASPCA, donate to your local branch. Donations to the National ASPCA are used up in exuberant high overhead so less money actually gets to the needy animals. Don't know how true it is but something to be aware of.

Comment

My two dogs live with me in the house and are better house quests than some people I know. This in no way affects their hunting ability. I plan to hunt with them today. Their feet will be treated with Mushers Secret due to ice and snow. They normally ride in the back of my pickup cap in a crate and drawer system I made. But, today, they will ride in the heat in my crew cab. Temperatures around 12 degrees today, colder as the week goes on. My nephew has a heated and air conditioned kennel with access to outdoor runs for his 10 dogs. Even my father who believed that his hunting dogs should not be housed, always had a well insulated dog coop for his dogs. When temperatures dropped to very cold conditions he would bring them into our basement.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                            I have heard dog lovers say if you donate to the ASPCA, donate to your local branch. Donations to the National ASPCA are used up in exuberant high overhead so less money actually gets to the needy animals. Don't know how true it is but something to be aware of.
                            jimbo The ASPCA And PETA are one in the same they are not in favor of people using Hunting Dogs.

Comment

My three hunting dogs live in the house. If anything it makes them better in the field. When you live with a dog, the two of you are compelled to become intellectually bonded. It's a hard thing to describe. My dogs know how I think and I know how they think. It's just natural when you live together. I also think it helps a lot to have more than one dog (though three is a bit over the top). They keep each other entertained when you're too busy to do it. This is especially important for high energy breeds like my little French Brittany.

The dogs and I go back to Montana every year for six weeks to hunt pheasants. No crates for them! I put the back seats down in the Jimmy and move the barrier up so they have the entire cargo area to move around in. It's a 25+ hour drive straight through and I'm not going to stuff them in a box that long. They can also tell me when they need to get out (so I don't have to crawl into the crate and clean it up!). Never had a problem except with my youngest Lab, Ellie. She gets a little wound up sometimes. Chewed off the back seatbelts THREE TIMES. Grrr. I now just keep the tools needed to replace them on board. It's funny how the dogs know exactly where we are on that long trip. The moment I cross the border from North Dakota into Montana the two young dogs put up a fuss. No kidding! I guess they know I only have a license to hunt on the other side. Amazing. Or maybe they can sense the excitement in me when I finally get "home" again. Yes, that's probably it. Intellectually bonded.

Sometimes it is difficult finding a motel that will take my dogs but I can usually count on Motel 6 (with no extra fees!). A few have even said no because mine are hunting dogs. And I can certainly understand why. I have seen so many kenneled hunting dogs that are just an unruly pain in the arse in a civilized environment.

My dogs add so much to my life I simply can't imagine living without them in the home. Living with hunting dogs for the last sixty-five years has shaped me as much if not more than the sport itself. And that shaping takes place on a moment by moment, day after day basis ... when they are in the house.

Edit: The second photo of dogs on the couch at home is Ellie, Coral, and Opal. The order is mixed up in caption.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• New Things, Old Things
                                by fitch270
                                OL’s has had some good topics lately even if it is a bit slow here compared to some other sites. One of the things I’ve been noticing is even though...
                                Today, 05:43 PM
                              • Birthday meal
                                by Amflyer
                                Oldest son turns 15 in a week or so. (Yeah, no outdoor stuff this year. He's getting a bass guitar. Bought himself a deer rifle after summer job anyway)...
                                Yesterday, 02:16 PM
                              • ‘Twas the night before ….
                                by fitch270
                                the bow opener, and it’s chilli cook off night at church.

What could possibly go wrong?!?

😳🤢🙄

09-30-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • Deciding on Spot for First Day
                                by wesman24
                                Hello Everyone,

I currently have a spot set up on public land that is new to me this year. I did quite a bit of scouting in the area and...
                                09-29-2022, 02:15 PM
                              • What now?
                                by FirstBubba
                                PM'ing on another blog site with a gent.
                                I had lamented the fact that I have 20 gauge and 12 gauge MEC 600Jr loaders, but only shoot 16 gauge....
                                09-28-2022, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X