X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Pup49 View Post
    I occasionally give my French neighbor pheasants that I have bagged. He always wants them whole with no entrails removed. He then hangs them 5-7 days by the neck in this garage before cleaning them. Otherwise, "they just taste like chicken". I asked him if he is concerned with bacteria or diseases in this process. He stated, " that's why you cook them". It seems this is standard procedure in the area of his French homeland. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Interesting article, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Pup49
    replied
    I occasionally give my French neighbor pheasants that I have bagged. He always wants them whole with no entrails removed. He then hangs them 5-7 days by the neck in this garage before cleaning them. Otherwise, "they just taste like chicken". I asked him if he is concerned with bacteria or diseases in this process. He stated, " that's why you cook them". It seems this is standard procedure in the area of his French homeland. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    I have eaten pheasants that have been hung by my French neighbor. He prepares them differently than I do, but quite good. The article you posted on this topic is the best I have read on it. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Did you get any pictures?

Cooking **should** kill the parasites, but how much you err on caution is up to you. Freezing below a certain point and cooking should sufficiently kill parasites, and you can eat with no ill effect. You can always call a doc and get checked out if you're concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Hanging fowl is pretty common. I recommend you give it a try. It's not an uncontrolled hang.
    https://honest-food.net/on-hanging-pheasants-2/

Leave a comment:

• Pup49
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Let's hope you don't end up as a guest star on that show "Monsters Inside Me."

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    As JM said, if it was anything living -- either the fly or any germs or bacteria the fly brought with it -- it's of no concern as long as the bird was cooked through. Wait, you don't mean the fly was alive when you found it, do you? Just kidding.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Y'all are guessing, it should bean discovered in food prep. Not after! jmo

Leave a comment:

• pawoods79
    replied
    Originally posted by JM View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned. Heck, half the world would've probably been excited too see the extra protein in there. Big difference between something like a bug and bacteria/toxins.
    Good answer JM

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    I wouldn't be concerned. Heck, half the world would've probably been excited too see the extra protein in there. Big difference between something like a bug and bacteria/toxins.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    If it was from being shot earlier it could have entered through a wound.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fly+parasites+in+humans&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS6 91US693&oq=fly+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l4.7479j 0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Leave a comment:

• Ronald Orszag
    started a topic I was eating pheasant that was cooked.

I was eating pheasant that was cooked.

My son prepared a couple of pheasant cook them it came out very good . While eating mine I found a large fly
    That bored in the meat. I removed it never came accross any thing like that in 71 years. Ate the rest of the bird
    Should I have gave the rest to the dogs ?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget