Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever spent a day trailing a wandering deer in a light snow just to see how,why,or where he Travels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99explorer
    replied
    I once spent about an hour following a large set of deer tracks through a light snow in the Adirondack Mountains in New York. They eventually led to a deer yard where the snow was packed down with hundreds of hoof prints. There were a number of trails leading out of the deer yard with so many tracks I could not identify the deer I started out tracking.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    When I was a kid growing up in a very small town in Michigan I tracked everything all the time. Had railroad tracks right behind the house.
    I also lived in a small town in Michigan Dewman and train tracks right by the house. But every time I followed them, they always took me to the same place, down town. It got boring after awhile and I gave it up for girls, but those tracks sometimes led to trouble !

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    If I cut a good fresh trail I will follow it for a while. The Benoits of Vermont look for a fresh big buck track and take off running to catch up to it.
    There is also a group in the Adirondacks that do lthe same thing - very productive for getting the big deer.

Leave a comment:

• Pup49
    replied
    This was one of favorite things in my youth.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Sure, all the time when I'm wintertime small-game hunting or just hiking around. It was one of my favorite things to do as a kid before I was old enough to hunt.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    The only time I followed deer (bucks) in the snow was during deer season in Maine and New York

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    Not just to see where the deer has gone, but I have followed tracks in the snow while hunting many times. Lots of fun, and the snow makes it easy to trail blood.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    When I was a kid growing up in a very small town in Michigan I tracked everything all the time. Had railroad tracks right behind the house.

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    One day that really set apart from other days was a set of a walking deer that was joined by a trailing dog or coyote,the deers tracks were near 20 feet apart at the beginnings of the chase,and the canines were around 12feet apart. I kept hoping I would catch up but never did,interesting note is the rabbit tracks that shot out from its hide along the chase trail ,his tracks about 8feet apart.

Leave a comment:

• Have you ever spent a day trailing a wandering deer in a light snow just to see how,why,or where he Travels?

Tracking habits

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Trivia.
    by 99explorer
    What athlete has played in both the World Series and the Super Bowl?
    12-24-2019, 02:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X