Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is taking a dog for its first hunt this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is taking a dog for its first hunt this year?

I was just playing chase the squirrel tail with the terrier/feist thing I adopted last year. He's a 4 year old, 20lbs, short haired, white and lemon terrier mix that's about 2 inches too tall to not get stuck in a groundhog hole. So I sometimes must dig. But from his horribly untrained roots, his basic obedience has come along even on my working family man schedule. Like all of his Ilk he is a born rodent killer and I've been using the squirrel tail just to get him to look up. A polished bird dog I will likely never have, and I used to run a beagle but that's not the same thing. The play and training is a blast, I don't know who has more fun. And I'm hoping for a good year in the squirrel woods... Which is partly dependent on putting an early deer or two in the freezer, so we shall see.

Hope everyone has a great fall. Forget winter.. Autumn Is Coming.

Hope you have a great fall too. As for dogs, you can have 'em. They're just not for me.

Comment

@HFT,
      I'm definitely a fan of owning dogs, but not hunting with them. I'll leave that task to Charlie and the like.

Comment

Hunting with dogs has it's ups and downs. I've only ever hunted over my beagle. A dog bugling on a chase stirs the blood. A dog gone across the county after something that was clearly not a rabbit raises the blood pressure.

I'm hoping that a closer working squirrel dog is the ticket as I really could never get comfortable when my hound was out of sight. But I still enjoyed it.

Comment

I gonna try to. I got a Boykin Spaniel pup in June and we're working on training. For the most part he will do sit/stay, come, heel, and give by voice or whistle. He does pretty good with the dummies, unless he's in a "mood" where he won't run after his dummies or pick them up. Every time I try using actual birds (mostly frozen pigeons) he just wants to tear it up though. He's only 3.5 months old though so I'm very happy with the progress. I mainly plan on using him for ducks and doves, though I'd like to teach him to quarter and flush quail if possible.

Comment

Not this year, but hopefully soon. By next year I really hope to have a new pup.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget