Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

have you ever trapped your own bird and tried falconry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have you ever trapped your own bird and tried falconry?

A different kind of bird hunting

Without being fully up todate on this, I don't think it is even legal to do so. Maybe someone will correct me if I am mistaken.

Comment

Much as I aspire to be Sam Gribley, no, I've never tried falconry. I am fascinated by it, though. I have a friend whose teenage daughter took it up all on her own -- passed her test, got the license, worked a part-time job to get all the stuff needed. She had a mentor, of course (I think that's required in some states when first starting out), but it was still pretty impressive. I never did find the time to join them on a hunt, which is something I regret.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
        Without being fully up todate on this, I don't think it is even legal to do so. Maybe someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
        You got me thinking and I checked out NY's DEC website. I found plenty on falconry, but not much specifically about how one goes about acquiring the bird. I did see one reg which stated that a bird cannot be taken from the wild "in an injurious" manner, but whether or not you need some kind of certification to do the capturing isn't really mentioned. I'll dig some more when I have time later on, or maybe another reader who knows will chime in sometime today. I figured it must be illegal, too, at least in most states. I was also thinking that a lot of birds of prey come under federal regulations ...?

Comment

It's been a while since I looked into this even out of curiosity, but if I recall correctly capturing young in the nest for the use in hunting is permitted and the only permissible way to obtain one. You cannot purchase one.
          There were conditions.. I don't recall what they were.

Comment

Thanks guys. With all the other restrictions on wildlife, I must say I am very surprised as to some of this information. It sounds like a very interesting activity. Maybe it deserves looking into !

Comment

Love to see an article on it here or in FS. I don't believe I've ever seen it mentioned in OL or FS.

Comment

Yes it was legal,there was a falconry club ,we had a redtail hawk that we trapped,a friend knew how and built the trap,othets had actual falcons,I learned a lot about birds of prey,double lens eyes,,ability to maintain their head focusing on a target even though the body swayed with the movement of the perch.High powered eyes that supposedly could see a rabbit blink hundreds of yards away.This bird refused to submit to training and he was turned loose ,one night in the wild even the most trained birds often revert to their wild instincts and won't return.If the opportunity. ever arises take advantage of it to watch,it's mesmerizing.

Comment

Capture of a grown bird is idyllic, some just never submit to control and must be released or they perish.Trapping was easy and the bird never came close to being harmed. How the trap is made I'll keep ,its probably on internet some place , it's a very time consuming hobby or sport however you want to look at it,the reward of accomplishment is thrilling.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                    by jhjimbo
                    Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                    09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                  • Spur of the moment rifle
                    by Amflyer
                    I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                    09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                  • The $20 Shooting Shack
                    by fitch270
                    So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                    09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                  • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                    by dewman
                    one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                    09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                  • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                    by dewman
                    So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                    09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X