Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever seen a movie or TV show in which hunting was fairly and accurately depicted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever seen a movie or TV show in which hunting was fairly and accurately depicted?

Not thinking of actual hunting shows, of course (though some of them don't even give a good depiction, one way or another), nor the nature-backwoods-reality shows like Alaska the Last Frontier, Life Below Zero, etc. I'm thinking of actual fiction in which hunting wasn't made out to be evil and barbaric, and in which the people making it seemed like they actually knew something. I feel like there must be some out there.

No. Nothing but utter and complete Trash comes out of Hollywood, and it's getting worse by the day... since you asked.

Comment

I admit, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything. Maybe some of those old-time flicks about Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett.

Comment

The Edge. That is how bear hunting goes down, right?

Comment

Pretty much all I can think of are the historical fiction movies like Dances with Wolves and Last of the Mohicans. They jack up the drama (like the opening scene of Last of the Mohicans when they sprint through the forest to head off the deer, then bring it down with one hell of a running shot ... er, okay), but I can live with that. And actually, I'd bet that the buffalo-hunting scene in Dances with Wolves is pretty close to how it was (except maybe for that six-hundred yard shot that Costner made with his Henry to save the young boy from the raging bull).

Comment

I think there are some great and realistic hunting videos on YouTube, but not on TV. Can't think of any movies, but I know there are quite a few realistic documentaries. Sad thing is that even FISHING on TV is getting to be unbearable...they seem to have adopted the hunting shows way of reacting to everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
              I think there are some great and realistic hunting videos on YouTube, but not on TV. Can't think of any movies, but I know there are quite a few realistic documentaries. Sad thing is that even FISHING on TV is getting to be unbearable...they seem to have adopted the hunting shows way of reacting to everything.
              I love The Walking Dead, and some of their survival and gun depictions are pretty much on the mark (some are way off the mark, too). The thing that really killed me, though, was when two women were fishing and talking about whether their father had used "dry lures" or "wet lures." Not "flies," mind you, but dry lures or wet lures. What fisherman has ever said that?! Oh, and then, when they were done fishing and returned to camp, they asked the old guy who owned the gear, "When did you last oil those line reels?" Who the heck ever calls a reel a "line reel"?! Yeah, I should just probably just let it go. It's annoying, though, when filmmakers obviously put a lot of effort into getting most things right and realistic, but then anything outdoor-related just seems optional.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                I never did see that. The idea of the great Anthony Hopkins on screen with Alec Baldwin just didn't sit well.

Comment

You should see it. Baldwin was cast as himself. Worked well for the plot. Was a great movie.
                  But my comment was tongue in cheek.

Comment

How about worst? Mine would be "A Single Shot" with Sam Rockwell 2013?. I actually liked the movie as a No Country For Old Men style narco movie, but the lead character was a poacher and an irresponsible shooter to boot. It's one of the worst depictions of deer "hunting" I've ever seen. When it got past the 'hunt', I settled into the movie and enjoyed it, but it had my blood pressure up in the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                      Pretty much all I can think of are the historical fiction movies like Dances with Wolves and Last of the Mohicans. They jack up the drama (like the opening scene of Last of the Mohicans when they sprint through the forest to head off the deer, then bring it down with one hell of a running shot ... er, okay), but I can live with that. And actually, I'd bet that the buffalo-hunting scene in Dances with Wolves is pretty close to how it was (except maybe for that six-hundred yard shot that Costner made with his Henry to save the young boy from the raging bull).
                      I will admit, I really liked Dances with Wolves, however the buffalo hunt with the indians using bows and dropping big bulls with 1-2 arrows almost in their tracks was a little bit much !! Hollywood does not understand many things about the reality of hunting, but if they are going tp protray it, they sure should spruce up a bit !

Comment

Just happened to catch that on TV last night. Not a bad movie but trying to outrun a bear was a rather stupid part by the director, but I guess that brought drama to the movie. There were a few other mistakes, but I thought that was the most glaring thing.

Comment

The thing that bothers me most about movies is they never seem to pick an actor or actress who knows really even how to hold a gun (rifle or handgun) in a proper manner.
                          Even fishing scenes, the actors do not handle a flyrod in a back cast or presentation cast in the correct way. Movies are one thing, but commercials on TV are the pits when it comes to people displayed in hunting or fishing scenes, it is almost embaressing
                          to watch the darn things !

Comment

Some movies I seen about frontier life. Can't remember their names though

Comment

I've always like the pig hunting scene in Old Yeller:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JTN6M3rx1g

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                                by dewman
                                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X