Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How has your small game hunting been this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How has your small game hunting been this season?

Over the weekend I finally was able to go squirrel hunting with my Dad's old rifle. It's a Winchester Model 74 that was manufactured in 1951. I had a gunsmith clean it and install a scope mount rail for a Weaver fixed 4x scope. At the range it's good for 1/2 inch, 50 yard groups with CCI Mini Mag hollow points. To protect the firing pin, I always load a snap cap as the last round. (See link below)

I only saw two squirrels that afternoon but it was no problem dropping them with that old Winchester. It may be my imagination but the Model 74 seems to make a different sound from my Ruger 10/22. I'm probably going to give the Ruger to my daughter because the Winchester will now be my primary squirrel and plinking rifle.

What do you use for squirrel hunting and plinking?

We're getting a good bit of snow tonight and tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to hunting cottontails and grouse. I always love it in the snow. We also used to have a good number of snowshoe hares in this area, but now they're pretty few and far between. There's one patch of state land about a half-hour from my house that's rumored to still hold a few; I might venture out there this weekend. Without a dog, they're harder to hunt than cottontails, in my opinion, but it's something different to do, anyway.

Comment

Fell under 100 squirrels this year due mostly to lack of time, even though we can hunt from Memorial Day weekend to feb 15th. I use a rem 511-x, a win 69a, a cz 452 American in 17hm2,a 870 20ga, and a ruger mk3 hunter. The rem and ruger were in gunfight Fridays on F&S.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        Fell under 100 squirrels this year due mostly to lack of time, even though we can hunt from Memorial Day weekend to feb 15th. I use a rem 511-x, a win 69a, a cz 452 American in 17hm2,a 870 20ga, and a ruger mk3 hunter. The rem and ruger were in gunfight Fridays on F&S.
        Wow, there's no way I shoot that many squirrels a year. I like your Ruger Mark 3 and have the Lite version but haven't taken it hunting. However, I do have a Mark 2 stainless with bull barrel and used it for the first time to drop a couple of squirrels with open sights. Great fun!

Comment

How do you like that Mk3? I've always wanted one, but a friend who is an experienced pistol hunter had one for a while, and he had a ton of problems with it jamming.

Comment

I've done less squirrel hunting that ever before, due to both a lack of time and the fact that for some reason our squirrel population is WAY down. I haven't seen so few squirrels in any year since I started hunting them when I was 8 or 9 years old. I've only gotten out 3 or 4 times, and shot I think 5 of them. One hunt I never even saw a squirrel, in a place where I typically shoot a limit! I also shot 3 with my bow while deer hunting.

I'll probably try it a couple more times yet, since our season runs until Jan. 31st. I'm not a big rabbit hunter, but there seem to be a lot of bunnies around, so I may give that a shot later in Feb.

All of my hunting in the last couple of years has been done with a Hatsan .25 PCP air rifle. I'm completely sold on PCPs for small game hunting. This one will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and 1" groups at 100 under perfect conditions. Plus, with the built-in suppressor it's way quieter than a .22 short.
            Attached Files

Comment

HFT: My mark 3 never jams, shoots lights out, but I won't recommend them because,
              1. The new mark4 have no plastic loaded chamber indicator, no magazine catch, a better safety that's easier to get to and use, and a quick takedown button on back. Oh, and the receiver is one piece.
              2. The S&W victory is every bit as accurate and as easy to attach scope or dots to while also being much easier to takedown to clean and much less expensive.
              If you do get a good deal on a mk 3, buy the loaded chamber indicator replacement kit, it will help it run smoother, longer.

Comment

I see plenty of squirrels hunting bear, but the rabbit and game bird population has dropped off.

Comment

My J.C. Higgins .22 is a real squirrel collector.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    My J.C. Higgins .22 is a real squirrel collector.
                    That 8x is bad to the bone. I'd be willing to miss out on a few opportunities to have that classic puppy saddled up on one of my rigs. Deadly rig you have, easy +1.

Comment

This rig now wears a 2.5-8X VX3 (last yr pic).
                      Went out for piney slaying, rained. Little too nice a rifle to take out for that crap.
                      So I snagged a 572 Remington. Have a 2-7X VX1 laying around.....but the pre 68 rig might look better with a K4. Heck maybe even a 3X.
                      Decent .22 rf rings............nobody has any in my area LOL.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                        This rig now wears a 2.5-8X VX3 (last yr pic).
                        Went out for piney slaying, rained. Little too nice a rifle to take out for that crap.
                        So I snagged a 572 Remington. Have a 2-7X VX1 laying around.....but the pre 68 rig might look better with a K4. Heck maybe even a 3X.
                        Decent .22 rf rings............nobody has any in my area LOL.
                        I remember your rig trouncing my ruger mk3 in a gunfight Friday on F&S a while back. Heck, I voted for yours myself.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                          by jhjimbo
                          Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                          09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                        • Spur of the moment rifle
                          by Amflyer
                          I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                          09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                        • The $20 Shooting Shack
                          by fitch270
                          So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                          09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                        • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                          by dewman
                          one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                          09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                        • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                          by dewman
                          So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                          09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X