Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What animal or animals would you like to hunt at least just once.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    Kodiak Bear and Cape Buffalo are on my list. I've always been fascinated with the idea of hunting dangerous game.

The Kodiak Bears are the largest of the brown bears. According to Wikipedia, about once every other year, a bear injures a person on Kodiak.

My brother has killed Cape Buffalo and says it's a rush like no other hunt. (He's also taken lion, leopard, and elephant). According to Wikipedia, the Cape Buffalo is known as "the Black Death" or "widowmaker", and is widely regarded as a very dangerous animal, as it gores and kills over 200 people every year.

Lately I've been looking at purchasing a rifle for the potential bear or buffalo hunt. I like the Sako Kodiak in .375 H&H. It's stainless with a laminated stock, has controlled feed, and can be loaded from the top if necessary. I can probably get one ordered for about $1800 from my local gun shop. http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-kodiak

On a final thought: I also think it would be a rush to hunt European boar with a spear...
    I thought about including Cape buffalo on my list, but I can't get past the fact that they're basically a cow, albeit a very tough and dangerous one. Maybe I've just spent too much time in farm country, but I don't have much desire to shoot a cow. Heck, if I wanted to shoot a dangerous bovine, I could just ask around until I found someone with a mean bull.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
      Mule deer, elk, wolves, red stags. Not necessarily in that order, if I could pick just one it'd probably be the stags, like JM. I personally don't have much desire to kill a bear, and sheep and mountain goat hunting is just too much work.

Edit: Forgot about moose. Always wanted to try a moose hunt someday.
      That's kind of what I was hoping for, JM. Lol Been a while since we had a good wolf argument here.

Comment

Kodiak Bear and Cape Buffalo are on my list. I've always been fascinated with the idea of hunting dangerous game.

The Kodiak Bears are the largest of the brown bears. According to Wikipedia, about once every other year, a bear injures a person on Kodiak.

My brother has killed Cape Buffalo and says it's a rush like no other hunt. (He's also taken lion, leopard, and elephant). According to Wikipedia, the Cape Buffalo is known as "the Black Death" or "widowmaker", and is widely regarded as a very dangerous animal, as it gores and kills over 200 people every year.

Lately I've been looking at purchasing a rifle for the potential bear or buffalo hunt. I like the Sako Kodiak in .375 H&H. It's stainless with a laminated stock, has controlled feed, and can be loaded from the top if necessary. I can probably get one ordered for about $1800 from my local gun shop. http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-kodiak

On a final thought: I also think it would be a rush to hunt European boar with a spear...
        I would get something in .416 over the .375 for Africa.

I have hunted boar in Turkey and you want more than a spear - they are mean, fast and strong. Cut you bad before you know what happened.

Comment

HFT: I see your point about the buffalo, but the same could be said about deer being similar to pen raised goats. I've often thought shooting deer on a food plot from a shooting house is like shooting a cow in a pasture. My brother raises cattle but still thinks hunting buffalo can be very intense.

Comment

Moose, black bear, mule deer and elk (went once- no shot taken).
            Ideally, all by recurve. But those days are numbered.
            2 kids in college, one with medical off and on.........I work OT but that's just for them. Was happy, bought an old Rem .22 rf yesterday.........not 5 mins after (before the NICS was done) get a text, kid going back for another procedure.......there's several hundred out of pocket. Always something LOL.

Comment

JHJimbo, thanks for the input. My brother has been using a double rifle in 458 Winchester for his last few trips to Africa. But, he killed his first couple of buffalo with the .375 H&H. I'll ask him about it when we get together Christmas Eve.

Comment

This might seem contradictory given what I just said, but I actually wouldn't mind going Wood buffalo hunting someday. They're pretty cow-like too, but from what I've heard are incredibly wary and hard to hunt, especially with a bow. Also, the logistics would be much easier to manage than with Cape buffalo, and you could actually bring the meat home with you.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                  A sheep hunt is probably my version of an iconic hunt. It'd be a victory in a lot of ways.
                  There's the personal challenge, but also that I had the time and money both before the hunt to prepare and for the hunt to get it done. It would mean I've likely gotten somewhere in life I want to be.
                  At that age.. I probably had the endurance as a distance runner and rower.. but as a very urban kid I certainly didn't have the outdoors knowledge necessary. I suspect the endurance would take a lot of work to build back up to and the knowledge part might still be found lacking under that test... but then that's half the point.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    Moose, black bear, mule deer and elk (went once- no shot taken).
                    Ideally, all by recurve. But those days are numbered.
                    2 kids in college, one with medical off and on.........I work OT but that's just for them. Was happy, bought an old Rem .22 rf yesterday.........not 5 mins after (before the NICS was done) get a text, kid going back for another procedure.......there's several hundred out of pocket. Always something LOL.
                    CD2: That for sure - always something with young adult children. What model Remington did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                      A sheep hunt is probably my version of an iconic hunt. It'd be a victory in a lot of ways.
                      There's the personal challenge, but also that I had the time and money both before the hunt to prepare and for the hunt to get it done. It would mean I've likely gotten somewhere in life I want to be.
                      I might also be making a bad assumption that the stuff I did for a few hours a day at high intensity translates to a slightly less intense but much longer grind for days on end.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                        by jhjimbo
                        Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                        09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                      • Spur of the moment rifle
                        by Amflyer
                        I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                        09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                      • The $20 Shooting Shack
                        by fitch270
                        So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                        09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                      • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                        by dewman
                        one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                        09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                      • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                        by dewman
                        So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                        09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X