Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What animal or animals would you like to hunt at least just once.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What animal or animals would you like to hunt at least just once.

Mine would be grizzly bear, dall sheep, and mountain goat. Mountain goat especially because I heard it's a difficult hunt

Red stags in New Zealand.

Comment

Mule deer, elk, wolves, red stags. Not necessarily in that order, if I could pick just one it'd probably be the stags, like JM. I personally don't have much desire to kill a bear, and sheep and mountain goat hunting is just too much work.

Edit: Forgot about moose. Always wanted to try a moose hunt someday.

Comment

Have taken all these but......Antelope, mulies or elk just one more time with my dad and or brother.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          Mule deer, elk, wolves, red stags. Not necessarily in that order, if I could pick just one it'd probably be the stags, like JM. I personally don't have much desire to kill a bear, and sheep and mountain goat hunting is just too much work.

I have all three animal where but like you said they are hard work

Comment

A sheep hunt is probably my version of an iconic hunt. It'd be a victory in a lot of ways.
            There's the personal challenge, but also that I had the time and money both before the hunt to prepare and for the hunt to get it done. It would mean I've likely gotten somewhere in life I want to be.

Comment

I agree, no desire to kill a bear. Unless it's a fat blueberry bear like the one Steve Rinella got on Meateater. That looked really good. The fat actually was tinted kind of purple from all the berries the bear had been eating.

Comment

Moose. Lately I've been reading a good bit about Canada and I love those stories of the guys hunting moose from canoes. Throw in some good North Country grouse and woodcock hunting, maybe some big northern brookie-fishing, and I'm in Heaven.

Comment

Kodiak Bear and Cape Buffalo are on my list. I've always been fascinated with the idea of hunting dangerous game.

The Kodiak Bears are the largest of the brown bears. According to Wikipedia, about once every other year, a bear injures a person on Kodiak.

My brother has killed Cape Buffalo and says it's a rush like no other hunt. (He's also taken lion, leopard, and elephant). According to Wikipedia, the Cape Buffalo is known as "the Black Death" or "widowmaker", and is widely regarded as a very dangerous animal, as it gores and kills over 200 people every year.

Lately I've been looking at purchasing a rifle for the potential bear or buffalo hunt. I like the Sako Kodiak in .375 H&H. It's stainless with a laminated stock, has controlled feed, and can be loaded from the top if necessary. I can probably get one ordered for about $1800 from my local gun shop. http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-kodiak

On a final thought: I also think it would be a rush to hunt European boar with a spear...

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
                    Red stags in New Zealand.
                    I might take mine back.. but partly because it seems so out of reach maybe not.
                    Also, if New Zealand they have Orcs and Wargs.. so there's an option.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                      Moose. Lately I've been reading a good bit about Canada and I love those stories of the guys hunting moose from canoes. Throw in some good North Country grouse and woodcock hunting, maybe some big northern brookie-fishing, and I'm in Heaven.
                      I agree about moose. They should be on my list as well. I'd probably pick them over elk or mule deer, honestly.

Comment

Ugho, you should know what happens when wolves are mentioned on this website....on second thought, at least the anti-hunters would provide some extra traffic on the site.

Comment

I must say, it has been wonderful to read so many fine posts concerning this very good question. I have been fortunate to have been on some good hunts, moose in Newfoundland, elk in Colorado, been invited on boar and reh (deer) hunts in Germany, but the Red stag hunt in New Zealand would be my dream hunt, excellent choice jm1993 ! When you can afford to take both of us, let me know, I am already getting my bags packed !

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                            Matt, my old archery hunting pal used to go on canoe moose hunting trips and always spoke of very good times. At that time it was financially beyond my means to also go, but that would be a great trip.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                              A sheep hunt is probably my version of an iconic hunt. It'd be a victory in a lot of ways.
                              There's the personal challenge, but also that I had the time and money both before the hunt to prepare and for the hunt to get it done. It would mean I've likely gotten somewhere in life I want to be.
                              When one reads the articles that Tyrell has written about sheep hunting, it is difficult to imagine the hardships involved, the miles into and out of the areas he has hunted. I would have to say that he has lived one very adventours life and he is still only in his 20's. I am not sure I was ever in the shape needed to do what he has done !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                                by dewman
                                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X