Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you consider to be your minimum number of rifles and shotguns??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you consider to be your minimum number of rifles and shotguns??

For several reasons, I'm thinking of reducing my inventory of long arms. It's been several years since all were able to fit in the safe. Some have not been fired in a long time and are redundant to the regulars that do get carried to the range or field. Here's my first pass at what to keep:
    1 deer rifle - .308 bolt action
    1 pig rifle - 30-06 semi-auto
    1 big game rifle - .375 H&H bolt
    1 varmint rifle - .22 magnum
    1 squirrel rifle - .22 LR
    1 self-defense rifle - .223 AR
    1 shotgun - 12 gauge

What do you think? What would be your minimum arsenal? Would you have that many? Would you include a muzzleloader? How's your minimum compare to your actual list? Do you also have some that never get used?

I have a bunch most all get shot. Some are from grandads so they get babied. Ones I use most are-----
    1. 2 1100 Remington's 1,12ga and 1,20ga. Fixed chokes
    2. A 700 mtn in 7mm-08
    3. A rem 511x, win 69a, and ruger mk3. My squirrel .22's
    4. A S&W 29-2 44 mag
    I always have a gun or two around for pests. Think I have 30 something altogether. Not much for getting rid of and pretty ones catch my eye way to easy.

Comment

I have a pretty small collection by the standards of most. 1 shotgun, 12ga 870. 1 .50cal T/C Omega muzzleloader. 1 Savage .22LR. 1 Marlin .22 Mag. I also have a Rossi .243/12ga/.50cal muzzleloader combo gun, my first "real gun". I don't use it any more, because none of them are very good. Probably should see if I can talk someone into giving me a few bucks for it. I also have a 1911 10mm pistol. Oh, and I have a couple of air rifles, .22 and .25 cal. These are PCPs, not your average wimpy plinker. I do most of my small game hunting with them nowadays.

Since we can't use rifles for deer here, I haven't been too concerned about getting a deer/big game rifle, but that's something I will probably buy at some point. I do want a dedicated predator rifle too, that .22Mag is just too light. Will probably sell that to help pay for the new gun. I would like one more shotgun sometime, but that's strictly a want, not a need.

I do use most of them regularly. The .22LR, the muzzleloader, the shotgun, and the air rifles, and the pistol. It's only the Rossi and the Marlin that don't get used much.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        I have a pretty small collection by the standards of most. 1 shotgun, 12ga 870. 1 .50cal T/C Omega muzzleloader. 1 Savage .22LR. 1 Marlin .22 Mag. I also have a Rossi .243/12ga/.50cal muzzleloader combo gun, my first "real gun". I don't use it any more, because none of them are very good. Probably should see if I can talk someone into giving me a few bucks for it. I also have a 1911 10mm pistol. Oh, and I have a couple of air rifles, .22 and .25 cal. These are PCPs, not your average wimpy plinker. I do most of my small game hunting with them nowadays.

Since we can't use rifles for deer here, I haven't been too concerned about getting a deer/big game rifle, but that's something I will probably buy at some point. I do want a dedicated predator rifle too, that .22Mag is just too light. Will probably sell that to help pay for the new gun. I would like one more shotgun sometime, but that's strictly a want, not a need.

I do use most of them regularly. The .22LR, the muzzleloader, the shotgun, and the air rifles, and the pistol. It's only the Rossi and the Marlin that don't get used much.
        I had one of those Rossi' s in 243 and 20 ga. and the 243 wouldn't fire! Gunsmith said the chamber was cut to deep, firing pin barely scratched the primer. He couldn't fix and there was a no return policy where I bought it. Sold it as a single shot shotgun with a free club. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          I have a bunch most all get shot. Some are from grandads so they get babied. Ones I use most are-----
          1. 2 1100 Remington's 1,12ga and 1,20ga. Fixed chokes
          2. A 700 mtn in 7mm-08
          3. A rem 511x, win 69a, and ruger mk3. My squirrel .22's
          4. A S&W 29-2 44 mag
          I always have a gun or two around for pests. Think I have 30 something altogether. Not much for getting rid of and pretty ones catch my eye way to easy.
          Like I've said on F&S, that 511-X of yours looks like a fine squirrel rifle!

Comment

HFT, that looks like a good mix, especially since center-fire rifles are not used for big game hunting in your state. I forgot to address air rifles in my question. I've probably killed more squirrels with an air rifle than I have with shotguns and .22's combined.

Comment

I don't think it's a bad mix. I'm going to ignore some duplication for my younger family members and not get into stuff I have beyond the below. But as a minimum in just long guns?

1-12 gauge
              1-Deer rifle (mine are currently .30-30 and .270WSM)
              1-.22 rifle
              1-Defensive rifle

The big difference in our lists is that my .270WSM would probably be asked to do the full gambit of deer, bear, pigs, and elk in my state if I had the opportunity whereas I have the .30-30 more because I like the old lever guns. Speaking of which, The Magnificent 7 was better than the original.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                I don't think it's a bad mix. I'm going to ignore some duplication for my younger family members and not get into stuff I have beyond the below. But as a minimum in just long guns?

1-12 gauge
                1-.22 rifle
                1-Defensive rifle

The big difference in our lists is that my .270WSM would probably be asked to do the full gambit of deer, bear, pigs, and elk in my state if I had the opportunity whereas I have the .30-30 more because I like the old lever guns. Speaking of which, The Magnificent 7 was better than the original.
                Ditto on liking lever guns. My .22 mag is a Henry. I haven't seen the 2016 Magnificent 7 and have put it on my to-do list (along with seeing the 1954 The Seven Samurai).

Comment

20 ga upland
                  12 ga waterfowl
                  12 ga general
                  12 ga turkey (can also do well for HD)

.22 rf small game
                  .22 mag fox and chucks close range
                  .223 AR15 for yotes
                  .243 for long range yotes or chucks
                  .35 Rem for a polite deer rifle
                  .30-06 general big game
                  .35 Whelen for big stuff local
                  .375 if across the pond

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    20 ga upland
                    12 ga waterfowl
                    12 ga general

.22 rf small game
                    .223 AR15 for yotes
                    .30-06 general big game
                    .375 if across the pond
                    Yrs ago I figured it took 13 guns to hunt stuff in my state.
                    I was well equipped before the Big D.

Now I have way less. And I don't use what few I have as much as I should.
                    It's nice to specialize, mess around with new things.

But the older I get the more of a tightwad I become. And cranky too.
                    Just sold a couple of rigs (and didn't have much to start with).

I'm just gonna use what I have MORE OFTEN.
                    That's my New Years resolution.

No more buy, just more try.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                      20 ga upland
                      12 ga waterfowl
                      12 ga general

.22 rf small game
                      .223 AR15 for yotes
                      .30-06 general big game
                      .375 if across the pond
                      Yep, right along with you CD2 about getting to be more of a cranky tightwad as I get older!

Comment

Never have liked the Rossi single shots. However, I've possibly accumulated too many Handi Rifles and am thinking of getting rid of a .243 and a .30-06

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post

1-12 gauge
                          1-.22 rifle
                          1-Defensive rifle

That's high praise, I thought the original Magnificent 7 was pretty good. The remake is definitely on my list to watch.

Comment

I got that Rossi when I was 12 years old, and I figured it would be just as good as the NEF rifles. Nope. The .243 is garbage. I tried 3 scopes and about 6 or 8 different brands of ammo, and the BEST any of them would do were 8" groups at 100 yards! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. The rifling must be screwed up somehow. The muzzleloader barrel is okay, and I shot a few deer with it.The 12ga patterns decently with its fixed Mod. choke, but it kicks atrociously.

Comment

I see a couple references to a "self-defense rifle" here. How many people actually have a rifle for self-defense? I would pick a pistol or shotgun for self-defense, unless you're talking about bears or other large animals.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                                by dewman
                                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X