Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tag soup isn't all that bad, if you add enough garlic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    I am afraid that I have pooped out of you guys this year, have spent very little time on stand with the bow in hand and did not have the mental energy to do so. Can not put my finger on the exact reason for this, some of it concerns family issues, some just not wanting to go through the hassle anymore. I never did enjoy the killing aspect of hunting, just accepted it as part of the hunt. And of course the hunt did provide needed food for the family, needed something so the kids wouldn't eat the damn furniture. But the little house apes have long ago flew the coop and hunting is no longer the important factor that it was then. I still enjoy the outdoors and will now often enter the woods for the smells and the solitude. Hope the rest of you guys all had good luck, or at least enjoyed your time on stand, I envy you and your younger years !!
    I completely get it. I'm not there yet, but I get it.
    With deer, I really do want the meat on top of it all, but that's not all it is about.
    On a squirrel hunt... not much ruins a walk in the woods with my shotgun like cleaning a squirrel, but I still take some once in a while.

Comment

My wife and I both were able to fill our doe tags, so our freezer has a good amount of venison in it, in addition to what we had left over from last year. After my wife came home with a deer and I hadn't had a shot at one yet, my 6 year old son was quick to quip "Daddy, if you need help getting a heart shot, I'm sure you could ask mommy for help!"

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        So far I've killed a 6-point whitetail with a crossbow. I was standing behind the slightly opened gate in my back yard and the buck was eating under my persimmon tree next to the driveway - 28 yards away. It was a good shot and the deer only went about 40 yards before crashing in the woods. I finished him with a quick spear thrust to the heart. - There's too many deer in my neighborhood so I've decided to take at least three before the season is over on February 10th.

Other than that, I've killed a squirrel with a .22 handgun and missed a pig with my muzzleloader. The plan is to hunt with the muzzleloader again this weekend. I'm going squirrel hunting again the weekend before Christmas.
        Richard, I wish my method was better too. So, after a quick search here's a 5 year old post from F&S on the topic. Take special notice of Sarge01's response. He was a retired Law Enforcement Officer in West Virginia and always had good advice. It looks like he hasn't posted anything since April so I hope he's ok.
        http://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/hunting/small-game/butchering-cooking-rabbits-squirrels-and-other-small-game/how-do-you-ski-0

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          I am afraid that I have pooped out of you guys this year, have spent very little time on stand with the bow in hand and did not have the mental energy to do so. Can not put my finger on the exact reason for this, some of it concerns family issues, some just not wanting to go through the hassle anymore. I never did enjoy the killing aspect of hunting, just accepted it as part of the hunt. And of course the hunt did provide needed food for the family, needed something so the kids wouldn't eat the damn furniture. But the little house apes have long ago flew the coop and hunting is no longer the important factor that it was then. I still enjoy the outdoors and will now often enter the woods for the smells and the solitude. Hope the rest of you guys all had good luck, or at least enjoyed your time on stand, I envy you and your younger years !!
          "Jumbie Jamberee" is a calypso song credited to Conrad Eugene Mauge, Jr. In 1953 Lord Intruder released the song as the B-side to "Disaster With Police". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbie_Jamberee

Richard, how old are you? (If you don't mind me asking). My Dad is 82 and still enjoys hunting. He's killed a nice 8-point so far this season. Just yesterday I sat across the table from an 82 year old engineer who is still working full time.

Have you thought about just taking a camera instead of your bow? That way you use the same hunting skills and enjoyment of the chase without the killing. A bonus is the 12 month season. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by zatos View Post
            My wife and I both were able to fill our doe tags, so our freezer has a good amount of venison in it, in addition to what we had left over from last year. After my wife came home with a deer and I hadn't had a shot at one yet, my 6 year old son was quick to quip "Daddy, if you need help getting a heart shot, I'm sure you could ask mommy for help!"
            Zatos, kids always seem to come up with the best answer to the situation, no matter how humble it makes one feel. Congrats on your deer, also to your wife. But you are going to have to get that kid on your side, can't have him being a mommies boy the rest of his life. That of course is said with a smile !

Comment

Proly eat my archery tag. Dunno if going late rifle for doe or not. Have to work, so it'll be a one day hunt.
              Might have to season a gun tag differently than a bow tag.

Comment

Shot a small one. Enjoy grilling venison............gotta kill 'em to grill 'em.
                The big one got away, and hopefully made it through muzzleloader.
                Will hold out for him next yr.

Did not shoot a doe in bow so the freezer was empty.

New to me rifle, so had to break it in ;-)
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                  Shot a small one. Enjoy grilling venison............gotta kill 'em to grill 'em.

Bow tag looks like it will go unfilled. Oh well, won't be the first tag I've "eaten" and certainly won't be the last.

Comment

That buck is perfectly acceptable in my part of the world.
                    The rifle however is what caught my eye. What is that strangely beautiful piece of wood and steel?

Comment

The rifle is a Ruger #1 in .243 win. Model is "RSI" (also known as "international"). 20" bbl instead of 22" like the "A" models with short forearm. Think they were made from '83 to '06.........but this an older version with "red pad" ( '85 model by serial number lookup). Normally #1's have pretty good wood on them, this the most bland one I've ever seen. So I won't feel too bad about dinging it up.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Interesting looking firearm. I've never seen one before.

Comment

My dad was a Ruger collector, so I was aware of the #1 at an early age (got one used when in Jr High for chucks). I still think the B model the best looking. the S in .45-70 also looks good. Bought this to rebarrel to .35 rem and change forend to short style..........but my state regs changed and the thing cloverleafs at 75 yards w factory ammo............so I said screw it, it's my woods gun "as is"..

Comment

The scope is a duplex reticle...........no dots/circles or clicky knobs.
                            The gun does not have a free floated bbl or adjustable stock, no bedding block either. Doesn't have a detachable box mag. Doesn't have a 10 or 20 MOA rail. No compensator or brake. It is the antithesis of "tactical". And why I have it. And why I'll buy another. Of course it's supposed to rain this weekend............so I'll drag my AR coyote hunting. There is a place for such things.

Comment

Nice. We've changed the law, but not yet the regs here regarding semi-auto rifles for hunting.
                              I don't know that it'll change what I carry into the woods any. I still like my break action 20's (single or double) and .22 bolt guns for small game, and I still like my bolt and lever guns for deer when I get out for the regular firearms season (only 2 weeks here). I guess it could help justify an AR 10 or an FAL.. but I've never realllly wanted one before.

Comment

Originally posted by zatos View Post
                                That would have amused my kid to no end. Me too, actually.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                  09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                                • Spur of the moment rifle
                                  by Amflyer
                                  I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                  09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                                • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                  by fitch270
                                  So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                  09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                                • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                  by dewman
                                  one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                  09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                                • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                                  by dewman
                                  So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                                  09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X