Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tag soup isn't all that bad, if you add enough garlic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tag soup isn't all that bad, if you add enough garlic.

Yes, deer season's over and I have no venison. How'd you do (or how are you doing, if your season's still open)? I do hate not having the meat, but I admit, I feel kind of glad when it's over every year. More sleep; less running around to get things done so I can go hunting; no more hassles with trespassers and idiot relatives; and, best of all, I've still got two and a half months of small-game hunting left. Grouse and cottontails in the snow are lots of fun. Plus, when you kill one, you can just pick it up and put it in your pouch! No dragging, hanging, or butchering. Anyway, how's everyone's hunting been?

I am afraid that I have pooped out of you guys this year, have spent very little time on stand with the bow in hand and did not have the mental energy to do so. Can not put my finger on the exact reason for this, some of it concerns family issues, some just not wanting to go through the hassle anymore. I never did enjoy the killing aspect of hunting, just accepted it as part of the hunt. And of course the hunt did provide needed food for the family, needed something so the kids wouldn't eat the damn furniture. But the little house apes have long ago flew the coop and hunting is no longer the important factor that it was then. I still enjoy the outdoors and will now often enter the woods for the smells and the solitude. Hope the rest of you guys all had good luck, or at least enjoyed your time on stand, I envy you and your younger years !!

Comment

Didn't get to go hunting this year because me and my hunting partner didn't know how to cross a river on four wheelers like where to or not to cross. Even though some seasons are short we have some long ones as well

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
        I am afraid that I have pooped out of you guys this year, have spent very little time on stand with the bow in hand and did not have the mental energy to do so. Can not put my finger on the exact reason for this, some of it concerns family issues, some just not wanting to go through the hassle anymore. I never did enjoy the killing aspect of hunting, just accepted it as part of the hunt. And of course the hunt did provide needed food for the family, needed something so the kids wouldn't eat the damn furniture. But the little house apes have long ago flew the coop and hunting is no longer the important factor that it was then. I still enjoy the outdoors and will now often enter the woods for the smells and the solitude. Hope the rest of you guys all had good luck, or at least enjoyed your time on stand, I envy you and your younger years !!
        Some of the older hunters I talked to enjoy being outdoors more then killing things. And some were trophy hunters. One told me he hadn't shot an animal in at least 6 years maybe even longer

Comment

Some of the best hunts I've ever had were ones where I never saw something that I wanted to shoot. Hunting is about the total experience, not just killing something. Hope you can get back out there again, richard. At the least it's a mighty nice excuse to just go sit in the woods on a nice spring or fall day!

Comment

My deer hunting was...an adventure. Definitely had its ups and downs, but it ended up on a high note. I shot my biggest archery buck ever back in October, although I didn't actually get my hands on him until 2 1/2 weeks later, after a long and bizarre journey. I thought the hit was pretty good, a little high but right behind the shoulder, but I spent a day-and-a-half searching for him to no avail. A cousin ended up stumbling across his carcass about 1/4 mile from the nearest area I had searched. The deer had lived for at least several days after my shot, because he hadn't been dead that long. I did an autopsy, and found my broadhead lodged against his spine, even though the entry hole was well below it. Only possible explanation is that it deflected off the ribs, which is just terrible performance. First year using those heads, and it will be the last! It had to have been an infection that ended up killing him, because the hit was basically a flesh wound. Just a strange story from start to finish. He had 15 scorable points, and grossed 179 2/8".

Apart from that, I had a pretty slow fall hunting-wise. Did some waterfowl hunting, but it wasn't great. I struck out on fall turkeys for the first time in 5 or 6 years, too. Got out 5 times and saw quite a few, but just couldn't get close enough to any.

I still have the late muzzleloader deer season to hunt here, and I'm looking forward to that. I always get out with some family members around the holidays, and which is fun. I love hunting in the winter when the woods are empty of other people and everything is quiet and peaceful.

Comment

So far I've killed a 6-point whitetail with a crossbow. I was standing behind the slightly opened gate in my back yard and the buck was eating under my persimmon tree next to the driveway - 28 yards away. It was a good shot and the deer only went about 40 yards before crashing in the woods. I finished him with a quick spear thrust to the heart. - There's too many deer in my neighborhood so I've decided to take at least three before the season is over on February 10th.

Other than that, I've killed a squirrel with a .22 handgun and missed a pig with my muzzleloader. The plan is to hunt with the muzzleloader again this weekend. I'm going squirrel hunting again the weekend before Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                My deer hunting was...an adventure. Definitely had its ups and downs, but it ended up on a high note. I shot my biggest archery buck ever back in October, although I didn't actually get my hands on him until 2 1/2 weeks later, after a long and bizarre journey. I thought the hit was pretty good, a little high but right behind the shoulder, but I spent a day-and-a-half searching for him to no avail. A cousin ended up stumbling across his carcass about 1/4 mile from the nearest area I had searched. The deer had lived for at least several days after my shot, because he hadn't been dead that long. I did an autopsy, and found my broadhead lodged against his spine, even though the entry hole was well below it. Only possible explanation is that it deflected off the ribs, which is just terrible performance. First year using those heads, and it will be the last! It had to have been an infection that ended up killing him, because the hit was basically a flesh wound. Just a strange story from start to finish. He had 15 scorable points, and grossed 179 2/8".

Apart from that, I had a pretty slow fall hunting-wise. Did some waterfowl hunting, but it wasn't great. I struck out on fall turkeys for the first time in 5 or 6 years, too. Got out 5 times and saw quite a few, but just couldn't get close enough to any.

I still have the late muzzleloader deer season to hunt here, and I'm looking forward to that. I always get out with some family members around the holidays, and which is fun. I love hunting in the winter when the woods are empty of other people and everything is quiet and peaceful.
                That is a strange story. Nice rack though.

Comment

I understand completely. Even when I was in my twenties, I had a take-it-or-leave-it attitude toward deer-hunting. I've had many enjoyable days deer-hunting; I think deer are fascinating, I love to see them, and I love venison. But if I had to choose just one outdoor activity, it wouldn't be deer-hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Srbyam View Post
                    Didn't get to go hunting this year because me and my hunting partner didn't know how to cross a river on four wheelers like where to or not to cross. Even though some seasons are short we have some long ones as well
                    Smart to play it safe.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post

If he had lived he would have one lucky deer but I heard from other people not uncommon

Comment

Originally posted by Srbyam View Post
                        Especially that same week someone drowned

Comment

It is a strange happening that things which were so important and so much a part of our lives in our earlier years can become almost non-existent in our older years. Hunting was a huge part of my life, not for the kill so much, I think it was for matching witts with a animal in it's own environment, the challenge of figuring them out and getting close enough with traditional equipment. But having done that, it now seems to not mean so much anymore. Sort of like the lyrics in the song "back to back, belly to belly, don't give a damn 'cause I've done that already". I guess that is where I am at, back to back and belly to belly, but it has been a good life, many memorable hunts, some very memorable misses and a few good successes thrown in, it is hard to ask for more !!!

Comment

1 doe in the freezer in the opening week of archery. A blown opportunity since. Generally the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is tight for time from a family and work standpoint so I don't get out for rifle much. I did put an hour on stand Saturday with a bow at the end of the day. Had one doe in sight for most of that time, but no shot. We shall see. I haven't seen a buck within 80 yards of me while hunting this year.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              So far I've killed a 6-point whitetail with a crossbow. I was standing behind the slightly opened gate in my back yard and the buck was eating under my persimmon tree next to the driveway - 28 yards away. It was a good shot and the deer only went about 40 yards before crashing in the woods. I finished him with a quick spear thrust to the heart. - There's too many deer in my neighborhood so I've decided to take at least three before the season is over on February 10th.

Other than that, I've killed a squirrel with a .22 handgun and missed a pig with my muzzleloader. The plan is to hunt with the muzzleloader again this weekend. I'm going squirrel hunting again the weekend before Christmas.
                              I love to eat squirrel PH but hesitate to shoot them because of the difficulty I have skinning them. Can you furnish me a simpler way of doing so that will help to keep the meat free of loose hair when I am done ? Many thanks.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                                by dewman
                                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X