Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for serious question. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for serious question. See first post.

Time for serious question. See first post.

Ok my dad is coming hunting with me this year. He hasn't hunted in a long time decades long. Long story not going there. He bought a 30-06 with a synthetic stock. I warned him that it was gonna be a mule he didn't listen. Now he wants to bring his AR. I'm don't like the idea of using 16 inch barrel AR for deer. A 22 inch barrel rifle I could deal with. My thinking is he's only got a few days he gonna be a little nervy. And I would rather see him use one of my guns. Than his AR. I will have to do the tracking if he messes up. I know I've talked of getting one for myself. But I am much more compent marksmen than he is and I practice a lot more. But he's not really listing to me. I don't think I would be crossing the line and flat out telling him not to bring the rifle. And telling him to use my .243 or 30-30. We haven't made a range trip we will because if he can't hit squat then he gets a shotgun full of buckshot. I tried explaining to him im responsible for everything that happens on my hunting spot. And I don't want wounded suffering deer running around because of something I could have prevented. The last step is if he won't listen then he can save himself a trip because we won't hunt. Thoughts opinions. Thank you in advance.

Comment

What caliber is the AR? I guess the barrel length itself doesn't really bother me as much as his unwillingness to follow the advice of a more experienced hunter, who just happens to be his son. I would reserve judgement on the AR until you hit the range together. If he shows that he's competent with it, then I would let him use it, with the understanding that he can't be blazing away at deer gangster-style. You might even want to consider limiting him to only 3 or 4 rounds in the mag at a time, if you're worried about that.

If he can't achieve ethical accuracy on the range, then I would hope that he would see the wisdom of taking whatever gun you want him to use.

Another option is getting some managed-recoil ammo for the 30-06. That will reduce the kick significantly, and it's still plenty potent for deer.

Comment

Another easy fix would be a quick trip to Acadamy or Cabelas to get a slip on recoil reducing pad for his '06 OR some reduced-recoil rounds. I have used them in my .30-30 when hunting with females who wanted less recoil. Will still pack close to the same punch as a full loaded bullet. Barrel length I wouldn't worry about. It's plenty accurate, especially considering that I am guessing his shooting distance will be limited due to the long period since last hunting. The .223 it fires is what I would be more worried about. Marginal shot(even a good shot) with a .223 and that deer can run a long long way.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          What caliber is the AR? I guess the barrel length itself doesn't really bother me as much as his unwillingness to follow the advice of a more experienced hunter, who just happens to be his son. I would reserve judgement on the AR until you hit the range together. If he shows that he's competent with it, then I would let him use it, with the understanding that he can't be blazing away at deer gangster-style. You might even want to consider limiting him to only 3 or 4 rounds in the mag at a time, if you're worried about that.

If he can't achieve ethical accuracy on the range, then I would hope that he would see the wisdom of taking whatever gun you want him to use.

Another option is getting some managed-recoil ammo for the 30-06. That will reduce the kick significantly, and it's still plenty potent for deer.
          Had the page loaded before you had answered...didn't mean to repeat some of what you had said, but I suppose it means that I agree completely with the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
            Another easy fix would be a quick trip to Acadamy or Cabelas to get a slip on recoil reducing pad for his '06 OR some reduced-recoil rounds. I have used them in my .30-30 when hunting with females who wanted less recoil. Will still pack close to the same punch as a full loaded bullet. Barrel length I wouldn't worry about. It's plenty accurate, especially considering that I am guessing his shooting distance will be limited due to the long period since last hunting. The .223 it fires is what I would be more worried about. Marginal shot(even a good shot) with a .223 and that deer can run a long long way.
            Completely agree about the .223. I personally wouldn't use that caliber for deer, in an AR or anything else.

Comment

I got a feel for why your father has not hunted in a long time. It sounds like this might be more than just a hunt considering the other background factors going on.
              If the AR is a .308, I see no problem using it for deer or anything else for that matter.
              Just make sure you are not using the gun issue as an excuse not to hunt with your father. If there is another reason as in the real reason, then perhaps it's time to deal with it or forget.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget