Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it better to wait for the best possible shot opportunity, or should you take the first good opportunity? And does bow hunting vs. gun hunting make a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    With the shot angles taken out of the equation... I don't know.

When I actually get out to rifle hunt I generally have 2 or 3 days of the 2 week season out in western PA. The bucks have improved dramatically in the past 10 years, but still, if you see a shooter, and you have a shot, you'd be highly advised to take it. Archery seasons in my unit run from the middle of September to the end of January.. then it all gets a bit more subjective. I'm out for meat, and would prefer if I take a buck it's a decent buck.
    I generally buy 2 doe tags and we can take one buck per year with your general license. If I have a doe tag free, a mature doe that gives a good shot is in mortal danger at any point.
    A buck gets put through an algorithm that involves lots of variables like size of antlers, size of body, time left in season, is there venison in a the freezer..? It all depends.

I've eaten tags on several years where I was completely skunked after passing over young, but legal deer early in the season. It makes me hesitant to pass on the first good shot on the first legal animal I encounter.

I'm having trouble with the concept of being more likely to take a questionable shot with a rifle than a bow. There are more good shots available with a rifle just due to energy. But questionable shots are still bad shots. I could argue that other than being gut shot, a deer is more likely to shake off an arrow hit to deep muscle than the additional trauma and bone crushing energy that a rifle will deliver.. but you're still likely to be hard pressed to find that rifle deer you shot in the rump.

Full disclosure, I just recovered a doe that I hit badly after a branch deflected my arrow into it's lower rear leg breaking it. It didn't go far due to terrain, a bad break, and a lot of luck. But the shot that I was presented with looked great, other than not seeing that branch in the flight path in the shadows.
    Canines are quicker than we give them credit for. I had a similar experience with a fox. Was on stand out behind the house and saw a fox run up to and pause at the chicken coop door. Only time I'd shot at a fox while hunting, in other circumstances I like watching them and have no desire to kill one. It's left side was facing me as well, when I released it startled and pivoted on it's front legs. Arrow went by the left shoulder of a fox that was now facing my direction.

Comment

When I actually get out to rifle hunt I generally have 2 or 3 days of the 2 week season out in western PA. The bucks have improved dramatically in the past 10 years, but still, if you see a shooter, and you have a shot, you'd be highly advised to take it. Archery seasons in my unit run from the middle of September to the end of January.. then it all gets a bit more subjective. I'm out for meat, and would prefer if I take a buck it's a decent buck.
      I generally buy 2 doe tags and we can take one buck per year with your general license. If I have a doe tag free, a mature doe that gives a good shot is in mortal danger at any point.
      A buck gets put through an algorithm that involves lots of variables like size of antlers, size of body, time left in season, is there venison in a the freezer..? It all depends.

I've eaten tags on several years where I was completely skunked after passing over young, but legal deer early in the season. It makes me hesitant to pass on the first good shot on the first legal animal I encounter.

I'm having trouble with the concept of being more likely to take a questionable shot with a rifle than a bow. There are more good shots available with a rifle just due to energy. But questionable shots are still bad shots. I could argue that other than being gut shot, a deer is more likely to shake off an arrow hit to deep muscle than the additional trauma and bone crushing energy that a rifle will deliver.. but you're still likely to be hard pressed to find that rifle deer you shot in the rump.

Full disclosure, I just recovered a doe that I hit badly after a branch deflected my arrow into it's lower rear leg breaking it. It didn't go far due to terrain, a bad break, and a lot of luck. But the shot that I was presented with looked great, other than not seeing that branch in the flight path in the shadows.
      @hft,
      Offer a sleeping dog a piece of food and see how fast they jump up, haha. Seriously though....great reflexes.

Comment

My motto, "If you have the shot, pull the trigger. You may not get another chance."

Often I hunt in wooded spots with 60 yard or less shot opportunities. If a deer or pig is moving through, I may only have 7 to 10 seconds before it disappears back into the undergrowth.

So, I will take the first available shot, often within 3 seconds of recognizing and identifying the target. That was the case for the big sow pictured below, taken before sunrise.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yep, I've had a couple of branches cause my shots to totally miss.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
            Good points all. I should have clarified, I wasn't comparing specific shot angles, etc. when asking if bow hunting was different than gun hunting. Obviously what constitutes a "good shot" with a gun might not be the same for a bow.

I definitely have a different mindset when bowhunting than when gun hunting. With a bow, I will usually wait for a slam-dunk shot. Sometimes that's the absolute best possible shot, sometimes it isn't, but in general I try to hold out for a very high-percentage opportunity. This represents my current philosophy, and unfortunately I had to learn some things the hard way. I used to be much more aggressive with my shot selection, which lead to a couple of wounded deer, and a couple more I killed due to luck more than anything.

With a gun, I tend to take the first shot that I know is within my capabilities. I've always been a gun hunter at heart, and I'm much more confident with a gun in my hands than a bow. There aren't many shots I won't take with a gun, within my effective range. I won't take running shots, except when the animal is already wounded or something. But other than that, if I have a shot that I know I can make, I take it, regardless of whether or not I might be able to get a better one.
            I pretty much do the same as you describe HFT

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget