Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What color tint is best for hunting sunglasses? Brown, green, yellow, gray, blue or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What color tint is best for hunting sunglasses? Brown, green, yellow, gray, blue or something else?

What color tint is best for hunting sunglasses? Brown, green, yellow, gray, blue or something else?

Years (no decades) ago I had a pair of prescription glasses in "soft pink" tint. They were designed to reduce the glare from office fluorescent tube light fixtures. Worked VERY well when hunting in snow. Let's see ... I think I have a photo. Yep. 1981. When hunting I prefer to have as much color vision variability as possible so I seldom wear sunglasses. Clip-on sunglasses are a genuine handicap. Adding that extra layer of glass/plastic really cuts back on sharpness.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
      Years (no decades) ago I had a pair of prescription glasses in "soft pink" tint. They were designed to reduce the glare from office fluorescent tube light fixtures. Worked VERY well when hunting in snow. Let's see ... I think I have a photo. Yep. 1981. When hunting I prefer to have as much color vision variability as possible so I seldom wear sunglasses. Clip-on sunglasses are a genuine handicap. Adding that extra layer of glass/plastic really cuts back on sharpness.
      Pink glasses never occurred to me, and some places still sell them. I just wrote a post on my blog about possibly hunting turkeys while wearing pink. Hmm.
      Btw, why do you always shoot such small elk?
      Geesh! Only kidding. ;-)

Comment

Have you tried eye black before(like a football or baseball player would use)? Does a great job at reducing glare, especially if paired with a billed hat. I would do everything in my power to avoid wearing sunglasses while hunting, but if I had to pick a pair I'd pick a black or some other dark color.
        --
        You could also get tented lens covers on your rifle scope if you wanted to avoid sunglasses.

Comment

It depends on the lighting conditions. I tend to go with red or pink fairly often. Orange and Yellow work pretty well too.

Comment

I've never used sunglasses. I think about it once a while on bright winter days but just make do with my hat brim. I wore glasses from age 12 to 35 and once I was free of them, I couldn't really stand the feeling of anything on my face again. As for the wrinkles I'm getting from squinting, I just use Oil of Olay.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
              I've never used sunglasses. I think about it once a while on bright winter days but just make do with my hat brim. I wore glasses from age 12 to 35 and once I was free of them, I couldn't really stand the feeling of anything on my face again. As for the wrinkles I'm getting from squinting, I just use Oil of Olay.
              I haven't used sunglasses except for occasional fishing. Nowadays the glare on the brush prevents me from seeing into it. So when the leaves drop, I'll need to do something.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                Have you tried eye black before(like a football or baseball player would use)? Does a great job at reducing glare, especially if paired with a billed hat. I would do everything in my power to avoid wearing sunglasses while hunting, but if I had to pick a pair I'd pick a black or some other dark color.
                --
                You could also get tented lens covers on your rifle scope if you wanted to avoid sunglasses.
                Does black camo paint count? I wear bucket style hats while hunting to shade my eyes and break up the human head outline.
                Scoping is not a safe practice. I need to see into the brush on sunny days to find the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                  Just kidding, btw, about the Oil of Olay.

Comment

--
                    Well, if you wear the camo black in a similar fashion to the way football/baseball players do, then yes it would work. I've seen people using all sorts of colors, it is just the positioning of the eye black that matters.

Comment

--
                      And I'm not sure if you are familiar with this TV show, but I found this online..."On an episode of Mythbusters, Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman tested whether eye black reduces glare. They determined that, while eye black does not eliminate glare, it does improve an athlete's ability to differentiate between light and dark, enhancing a player's ability to track moving objects in a sunny environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                        It depends on the lighting conditions. I tend to go with red or pink fairly often. Orange and Yellow work pretty well too.
                        When I go hunting I'm quite pollyannish so rose colored glasses might just be the way to go.

Comment

--
                          When I paint up the black is under the eyes to help camouflage my eyes from the game. Does not seem to help me see into the brush on a sunny day any better. Back in the late 70's I volunteered to be the government's guinea pig during their RK surgery experiments. As my age increases the scar tissue in my eyes is causing intense glare problems. Can't use lighted scopes because the lighted dots or crosshairs look like starbursts.

Comment

--
                            Have you tried hunting with light colored polarized lenses made for fishing? A high quality pair does wonders for removing the glare on the water.

Comment

I don't wear sunglasses when I hunt. Most of my hunting is done in woodland and at either end of the day, so I don't want to cut down on light. Can't stand yellow.

For fishing (salt water) I have prescription polarized glasses in the brown tint which increases contrast and helps me see fish. Not that it makes them bite, but at least I know they're there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The college student puzzle..
                                by 99explorer
                                A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                                The first station is a mile from home,...
                                Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                              • Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                08-23-2019, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                08-23-2019, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X