Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have any personal goals when it comes to hunting or fishing? Kind of like an outdoors "bucket list"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    I'd like to live in the Alaska bush for an entire year. Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. I have no illusions about the amount of work that would entail, but it still appeals to me for some reason. I want to try predator hunting out west; maybe in Texas even though the pelts down there are poor. I have heard it's nothing like here in the Midwest (in a good way). I also want to try bowfishing for alligator gar down south. That's the only kind of fishing for which I could see myself traveling any distance. As I mentioned in reply to the other comments, hunting Eastern elk would be cool, and I want to shoot a Merriam's gobbler somewhere out West someday.
    Have you read THE LAST FRONTIERSMAN, about Heimo Korth and his family? He's on one of those Alaskan reality shows now, but this book came out before all that started. Can't remember who wrote it, but it's excellent. I think some of those Alaskan TV people are morons, but Heimo's the real thing.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
      At this point in my life, pretty much any of the more exotic desires are beyond my physical and/or financial capabilities. As I get older, my desire to kill animals gets weaker and weaker, except for a gobbler or two in the spring.

      Fishing is different. I'd still like to catch a tarpon, about 50-75 lbs, on the flats where it would have to jump and couldn't sound. I'd also like to catch a big barracuda the same way.

      The reason I put a weight limit on the tarpon is because of an experience a couple of weeks ago. I was fishing off the Gulf Shores State Pier (as usual) and hooked up to a 5' blacktip shark while fishing for king mackerel. Normally, I just break off a shark, but it had been a while since I had a fish that could stretch my string, so I decided to play him a couple of minutes before breaking him off. In the meantime, a group of tourists which included some good looking ladies wandered up and watched me, oohing and aahing at the brave man catching the shark. Naturally, I had to show off a little, so I didn't break it off and continued to rassle with it. It was hot. It was humid, and I quickly began to run out of steam, but I had to fight it back to the pier just for the sake of my manhood. I put as much strain as I could muster on my 15# line and convinced the shark to swim back to the pier where everybody could get a good look and take pictures (we aren't allowed to land sharks)before I popped it off.

      It took several bottles of cold water and a long time in a shady spot before I got back enough energy to pull my fishing cart back up the pier to the parking lot so I could head for my recliner in the air conditioning. I don't want any more big fish.
      Great story, well told.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
        Much as I like and defend bird-hunting without a dog, I would like to have a bird-dog someday. More for the companionship, not so much to kill more birds, though I'd enjoy that part, too, food-wise .... I'd like to have a deer season when I fill three or four tags and have venison for a full year without having to stretch it .... You can tell I'm hungry right now, since everything coming to mind has to do with food. I guess I have some of the typical wishes, like catching a huge trout or shooting a big gobbler and big buck. Never did have any particular numbers in mind, though, in terms of weight or points. There are things I want to be better at but I've never set them as goals or bucket-list items; if it happens, it does, and if not, whatever. I do want to see more of the West, but it doesn't have to be while hunting or fishing. Long answer short, not really. !
        Actually, HFT, shortly after posting that comment, I gobbled down a hot wild-turkey sandwich. I had the legs and thighs from my spring bird still in the freezer, so I thawed them over the weekend and put them in the crock-pot Sunday night, with some crushed garlic and peppercorns. In the morning I pulled and shredded the meat and made some gravy from the broth, and all week long I've been eating that for lunch. Just dump some over a couple pieces of good chewy bread, microwave for a minute, and chow down. I've got one serving left and it'll be about that time again in another hour or so. Mmm-hmm.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
          Much as I like and defend bird-hunting without a dog, I would like to have a bird-dog someday. More for the companionship, not so much to kill more birds, though I'd enjoy that part, too, food-wise .... I'd like to have a deer season when I fill three or four tags and have venison for a full year without having to stretch it .... You can tell I'm hungry right now, since everything coming to mind has to do with food. I guess I have some of the typical wishes, like catching a huge trout or shooting a big gobbler and big buck. Never did have any particular numbers in mind, though, in terms of weight or points. There are things I want to be better at but I've never set them as goals or bucket-list items; if it happens, it does, and if not, whatever. I do want to see more of the West, but it doesn't have to be while hunting or fishing. Long answer short, not really. !
          @jcarlin, Your family likes squirrel that well, huh?
          @Tiough, That sounds great! Venison sausage for lunch for me, hard to beat that, IMO.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
            At this point in my life, pretty much any of the more exotic desires are beyond my physical and/or financial capabilities. As I get older, my desire to kill animals gets weaker and weaker, except for a gobbler or two in the spring.

            Fishing is different. I'd still like to catch a tarpon, about 50-75 lbs, on the flats where it would have to jump and couldn't sound. I'd also like to catch a big barracuda the same way.

            The reason I put a weight limit on the tarpon is because of an experience a couple of weeks ago. I was fishing off the Gulf Shores State Pier (as usual) and hooked up to a 5' blacktip shark while fishing for king mackerel. Normally, I just break off a shark, but it had been a while since I had a fish that could stretch my string, so I decided to play him a couple of minutes before breaking him off. In the meantime, a group of tourists which included some good looking ladies wandered up and watched me, oohing and aahing at the brave man catching the shark. Naturally, I had to show off a little, so I didn't break it off and continued to rassle with it. It was hot. It was humid, and I quickly began to run out of steam, but I had to fight it back to the pier just for the sake of my manhood. I put as much strain as I could muster on my 15# line and convinced the shark to swim back to the pier where everybody could get a good look and take pictures (we aren't allowed to land sharks)before I popped it off.

            It took several bottles of cold water and a long time in a shady spot before I got back enough energy to pull my fishing cart back up the pier to the parking lot so I could head for my recliner in the air conditioning. I don't want any more big fish.
            Pretty girls "WILL" make a man do funny things. Enjoyed the tale.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
              I'd like to live in the Alaska bush for an entire year. Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. I have no illusions about the amount of work that would entail, but it still appeals to me for some reason. I want to try predator hunting out west; maybe in Texas even though the pelts down there are poor. I have heard it's nothing like here in the Midwest (in a good way). I also want to try bowfishing for alligator gar down south. That's the only kind of fishing for which I could see myself traveling any distance. As I mentioned in reply to the other comments, hunting Eastern elk would be cool, and I want to shoot a Merriam's gobbler somewhere out West someday.
              No I haven't, but now I will check it out. I agree on some of those Alaskan reality TV shows. I've watched some of The Last Frontier, and that's basically a soap opera. Some of those idiots do things even I would know not to do. Have you ever watched the documentaries done by Dick Proeneke? If not you should, they're fantastic. I also love the books written by Julie and Miki Collins, as well as their articles in Fur-Fish-Game magazine. There are actually a lot of good outdoor writers from AK and the Canadian bush out there.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                I'd like to live in the Alaska bush for an entire year. Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. I have no illusions about the amount of work that would entail, but it still appeals to me for some reason. I want to try predator hunting out west; maybe in Texas even though the pelts down there are poor. I have heard it's nothing like here in the Midwest (in a good way). I also want to try bowfishing for alligator gar down south. That's the only kind of fishing for which I could see myself traveling any distance. As I mentioned in reply to the other comments, hunting Eastern elk would be cool, and I want to shoot a Merriam's gobbler somewhere out West someday.
                Thanks "T" for the tip on that book. I've gotta get that. Heimo and his wife are my favorites on that show.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                  I'd like to live in the Alaska bush for an entire year. Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. I have no illusions about the amount of work that would entail, but it still appeals to me for some reason. I want to try predator hunting out west; maybe in Texas even though the pelts down there are poor. I have heard it's nothing like here in the Midwest (in a good way). I also want to try bowfishing for alligator gar down south. That's the only kind of fishing for which I could see myself traveling any distance. As I mentioned in reply to the other comments, hunting Eastern elk would be cool, and I want to shoot a Merriam's gobbler somewhere out West someday.
                  I have seen some of the Korth's on the Last Alaskans. It's interesting. Doesn't hurt that one of his daughters could model.
                  I think most of the Alaska and back to nature/frontier shows suffer from the same thing. They're life is VERY cyclical. So for a season or two it's both entertaining and educational to see how they live. By season 3, you've kind of seen it all, so they turn to pure entertainment and drama. That's about when they lose me. I think Yukon Men and The Last Frontier are about the worst offenders with this. Interesting mindset differences on that in the household. About the same time I'm done with the shows is the time my wife and daughters have begun to emotionally buy into the story of the families.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                    I'd like to live in the Alaska bush for an entire year. Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. I have no illusions about the amount of work that would entail, but it still appeals to me for some reason. I want to try predator hunting out west; maybe in Texas even though the pelts down there are poor. I have heard it's nothing like here in the Midwest (in a good way). I also want to try bowfishing for alligator gar down south. That's the only kind of fishing for which I could see myself traveling any distance. As I mentioned in reply to the other comments, hunting Eastern elk would be cool, and I want to shoot a Merriam's gobbler somewhere out West someday.
                    Ordered "The Last Frontiersman" today. Can't wait to get started. Thanks again T-nioga.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I completed my bucket list a long time ago. See: http://www.fieldandstream.com/users/92539/photos?page=4 Be sure to look through all eighty pages.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                        I'd like to live in the Alaska bush for an entire year. Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. I have no illusions about the amount of work that would entail, but it still appeals to me for some reason. I want to try predator hunting out west; maybe in Texas even though the pelts down there are poor. I have heard it's nothing like here in the Midwest (in a good way). I also want to try bowfishing for alligator gar down south. That's the only kind of fishing for which I could see myself traveling any distance. As I mentioned in reply to the other comments, hunting Eastern elk would be cool, and I want to shoot a Merriam's gobbler somewhere out West someday.
                        You're too late for Eastern elk. That subspecies has been gone for over a hundred years.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                          Much as I like and defend bird-hunting without a dog, I would like to have a bird-dog someday. More for the companionship, not so much to kill more birds, though I'd enjoy that part, too, food-wise .... I'd like to have a deer season when I fill three or four tags and have venison for a full year without having to stretch it .... You can tell I'm hungry right now, since everything coming to mind has to do with food. I guess I have some of the typical wishes, like catching a huge trout or shooting a big gobbler and big buck. Never did have any particular numbers in mind, though, in terms of weight or points. There are things I want to be better at but I've never set them as goals or bucket-list items; if it happens, it does, and if not, whatever. I do want to see more of the West, but it doesn't have to be while hunting or fishing. Long answer short, not really. !
                          Some of my happiest hunting memories are of a bunch of us teenage boys and our dogs hunting squirrels. But it wasn't fun enough to want the trouble of dealing with a dog now.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                            At this point in my life, pretty much any of the more exotic desires are beyond my physical and/or financial capabilities. As I get older, my desire to kill animals gets weaker and weaker, except for a gobbler or two in the spring.

                            Fishing is different. I'd still like to catch a tarpon, about 50-75 lbs, on the flats where it would have to jump and couldn't sound. I'd also like to catch a big barracuda the same way.

                            The reason I put a weight limit on the tarpon is because of an experience a couple of weeks ago. I was fishing off the Gulf Shores State Pier (as usual) and hooked up to a 5' blacktip shark while fishing for king mackerel. Normally, I just break off a shark, but it had been a while since I had a fish that could stretch my string, so I decided to play him a couple of minutes before breaking him off. In the meantime, a group of tourists which included some good looking ladies wandered up and watched me, oohing and aahing at the brave man catching the shark. Naturally, I had to show off a little, so I didn't break it off and continued to rassle with it. It was hot. It was humid, and I quickly began to run out of steam, but I had to fight it back to the pier just for the sake of my manhood. I put as much strain as I could muster on my 15# line and convinced the shark to swim back to the pier where everybody could get a good look and take pictures (we aren't allowed to land sharks)before I popped it off.

                            It took several bottles of cold water and a long time in a shady spot before I got back enough energy to pull my fishing cart back up the pier to the parking lot so I could head for my recliner in the air conditioning. I don't want any more big fish.
                            Well Country Road, I certainly can't blame you for that!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                              I completed my bucket list a long time ago. See: http://www.fieldandstream.com/users/92539/photos?page=4 Be sure to look through all eighty pages.
                              The photos are now all gone and the link doesn't work.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                My personal goals for the next 12 months:

                                May 2018 - fish in the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge
                                https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Cahaba_River/

                                June through August 2018 - develop loads for several of my rifles, practice archery

                                Sept 2018 - take a feral pig with a .22 magnum, hunt squirrels with a suppressed .22lr

                                Oct 2018 - take a whitetail deer with a compound bow, another with a crossbow.

                                Nov 2018 - take several feral pigs with an AR in .300 Blackout (suppressed)

                                Dec 2018 - take a whitetail deer with a bolt action in 6.5 Creedmoor

                                Jan 2019 - take a whitetail deer with a bolt action in .308

                                Feb 2019 - take another feral pig with a .22 magnum

                                Mar 2019 - take my first turkey

                                Apr 2019 - take my 2nd turkey

                                BUCKET LIST - Bear, Marlin

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                                Right Rail 1 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Right Rail 3 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X