Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have any personal goals when it comes to hunting or fishing? Kind of like an outdoors "bucket list"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have any personal goals when it comes to hunting or fishing? Kind of like an outdoors "bucket list"?

Do you have any personal goals when it comes to hunting or fishing? Kind of like an outdoors "bucket list"?

Much as I like and defend bird-hunting without a dog, I would like to have a bird-dog someday. More for the companionship, not so much to kill more birds, though I'd enjoy that part, too, food-wise .... I'd like to have a deer season when I fill three or four tags and have venison for a full year without having to stretch it .... You can tell I'm hungry right now, since everything coming to mind has to do with food. I guess I have some of the typical wishes, like catching a huge trout or shooting a big gobbler and big buck. Never did have any particular numbers in mind, though, in terms of weight or points. There are things I want to be better at but I've never set them as goals or bucket-list items; if it happens, it does, and if not, whatever. I do want to see more of the West, but it doesn't have to be while hunting or fishing. Long answer short, not really. !

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
      Much as I like and defend bird-hunting without a dog, I would like to have a bird-dog someday. More for the companionship, not so much to kill more birds, though I'd enjoy that part, too, food-wise .... I'd like to have a deer season when I fill three or four tags and have venison for a full year without having to stretch it .... You can tell I'm hungry right now, since everything coming to mind has to do with food. I guess I have some of the typical wishes, like catching a huge trout or shooting a big gobbler and big buck. Never did have any particular numbers in mind, though, in terms of weight or points. There are things I want to be better at but I've never set them as goals or bucket-list items; if it happens, it does, and if not, whatever. I do want to see more of the West, but it doesn't have to be while hunting or fishing. Long answer short, not really. !
      1. Catch a wild brook trout in the smokies with a fly I tied (DONE)
      2. Kill a 10 point buck and mount it.
      3. Go Elk hunting and bag a Bull.
      4. Buy and train a Squirrel Dog.
      5. Go Fly Fishing in Montana.

1 down 4 to go.

Comment

hft:

-Fly fish for steelhead on the Skeena River in British Columbia. Life long dream.

-Go to Alaska just to see it and fish or hunt something if the opportunity presents itself.

-Shoot a Merriam turkey in Montana.

-Spend the rest of my days enjoying the outdoors with my sons and Grandkids. (Doing that now)

T-nioga:

-Nothing wrong with bird hunting without a dog except that when I tried it years ago in FL where it's thick as hell, I had trouble at times finding dead birds. But I concur with you about the great reward being companionship. Good luck with your attempt to do that.

Comment

It's a good question.
          Spending a solid season in Alaska some day would do it for me as a dream. Backpack, fish, and hunt what it has to offer.
          There's a lot of things I'd like to do, but if I was to really boil down my hunting and fishing dreamlist, it'd be having the opportunity to enjoy doing so in PA enough to really make use of all we have to offer. Right now I pursue deer and squirrel most years, with a few when my beagle was younger where we chased rabbits. (Agreeing with others, there's something about watching a dog work that just grabs the soul). If I really had time, I'd like to trap, go for bear, do some coyote hunting, maybe draw an elk tag.. lots to do here.
          For the moment, if I get a dozen good full days in the woods in plus as many or more weeknights I'll be happy with this season.

Comment

Originally posted by bdanny View Post
            hft:

-Fly fish for steelhead on the Skeena River in British Columbia. Life long dream.

-Go to Alaska just to see it and fish or hunt something if the opportunity presents itself.

-Spend the rest of my days enjoying the outdoors with my sons and Grandkids. (Doing that now)

T-nioga:

-Nothing wrong with bird hunting without a dog except that when I tried it years ago in FL where it's thick as hell, I had trouble at times finding dead birds. But I concur with you about the great reward being companionship. Good luck with your attempt to do that.
            Well, that's four more things that I have to add to my to-do list now.

Comment

hft:

T-nioga:

Drb, that's a good point about finding cripples and dead birds. There have been a few times when I've had to look for quite a while (esp. with woodcock), but so far I haven't lost any. (Lucky for me I'm usually either too startled to shoot, or I miss 'em by three or four feet.)

Comment

I just brought home from the SPCA a 5 year old that was listed as a Russel Mix and sure looks like a Feist. I'm working on basic obedience, of which he had none, and hope to move onto squirrel training next month and that by the time the cold weather is here he will be woods ready. I've always wanted one myself.

Comment

Sheesh, if you're that hungry go buy a burger, dude! Lol

Comment

hft:

T-nioga:

Nice list, drb. One of my uncles has shot several Merriams in Wyoming, and it does sound like a cool hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                      It's a good question.
                      Spending a solid season in Alaska some day would do it for me as a dream. Backpack, fish, and hunt what it has to offer.
                      There's a lot of things I'd like to do, but if I was to really boil down my hunting and fishing dreamlist, it'd be having the opportunity to enjoy doing so in PA enough to really make use of all we have to offer. Right now I pursue deer and squirrel most years, with a few when my beagle was younger where we chased rabbits. (Agreeing with others, there's something about watching a dog work that just grabs the soul). If I really had time, I'd like to trap, go for bear, do some coyote hunting, maybe draw an elk tag.. lots to do here.
                      For the moment, if I get a dozen good full days in the woods in plus as many or more weeknights I'll be happy with this season.
                      Eastern elk hunting has intrigued me ever since it became possible a few years back. I'd love to go to Kentucky or Pennsylvania for elk someday. Heck, maybe they'll even have a huntable population in Wisconsin in a few years. That would be pretty cool.

Comment

I'd like to live in the Alaska bush for an entire year. Hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. I have no illusions about the amount of work that would entail, but it still appeals to me for some reason. I want to try predator hunting out west; maybe in Texas even though the pelts down there are poor. I have heard it's nothing like here in the Midwest (in a good way). I also want to try bowfishing for alligator gar down south. That's the only kind of fishing for which I could see myself traveling any distance. As I mentioned in reply to the other comments, hunting Eastern elk would be cool, and I want to shoot a Merriam's gobbler somewhere out West someday.

Comment

Something more fun about squirrel hunting. Nice excuse to take a stroll in the woods with a gun, maybe a kid and dog, with no real care as to the outcome other than getting out there for the day. Coming home without deer for the freezer is always a bit of a disappointment. No one cares if I'm without squirrel.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                            It's a good question.
                            I've never put an app in, because I knew I wouldn't have time, but as pulling a tag is practically a lightning strike here, I should really get on that as I do believe we start building preference points.

Comment

At this point in my life, pretty much any of the more exotic desires are beyond my physical and/or financial capabilities. As I get older, my desire to kill animals gets weaker and weaker, except for a gobbler or two in the spring.

Fishing is different. I'd still like to catch a tarpon, about 50-75 lbs, on the flats where it would have to jump and couldn't sound. I'd also like to catch a big barracuda the same way.

The reason I put a weight limit on the tarpon is because of an experience a couple of weeks ago. I was fishing off the Gulf Shores State Pier (as usual) and hooked up to a 5' blacktip shark while fishing for king mackerel. Normally, I just break off a shark, but it had been a while since I had a fish that could stretch my string, so I decided to play him a couple of minutes before breaking him off. In the meantime, a group of tourists which included some good looking ladies wandered up and watched me, oohing and aahing at the brave man catching the shark. Naturally, I had to show off a little, so I didn't break it off and continued to rassle with it. It was hot. It was humid, and I quickly began to run out of steam, but I had to fight it back to the pier just for the sake of my manhood. I put as much strain as I could muster on my 15# line and convinced the shark to swim back to the pier where everybody could get a good look and take pictures (we aren't allowed to land sharks)before I popped it off.

It took several bottles of cold water and a long time in a shady spot before I got back enough energy to pull my fishing cart back up the pier to the parking lot so I could head for my recliner in the air conditioning. I don't want any more big fish.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget